Is CLCret bad?

Paladin
Post Limit:
Whenever I use it I feel like a baddie but I see it recommended in a lot of places that surprise me (elitistjerks for one). When I don't have it I really don't feel any better or worse for it. Without it I just use Tellmewhen to show me when my regular abilities come off cooldown.

It all feels kinda samey really. Like I said I see it recommended a lot but something about having an addon to tell me my rotation just feels nooby.
It's the best way for people who aren't using a proper priority to learn, and improper ability usage is generally why people who are doing poor dps are doing poorly. That's why it's recommended frequently.

Tellmewhen set up to do the same thing isn't any different.
Yes and no. If you follow its recommendations slavishly, then it's bad because it's essentially playing the game for you. If you use it like a set of training wheels to get comfortable with the rotation, the ebb and flow of abilities and such, and then make your own choices, it's fine.

It also has a lot of uses beyond the mundane rotation management. You can set it to show and track trinket procs and ICDs, and the timers for your burst CDs.
It is the simplest and most purpose built addon to recommend to people having trouble with or getting used too the rotation. That's why it's so often recommended.

You're no worse a player for using it then you are for using any addon. They're tools, they can't play the game for you and you're only bad if you try and let them.
So basically I have Tellmewhen doing pretty much what CLCret already does. I have it set up to show when CS, Judgment, Exo, and HoW come off cooldown, and when I have major cooldowns available. And it also tracks Inq and trinket procs.

I think I prefer that over having a giant button in the middle of my screen yelling "PUSH ME PUSH ME".
I think I prefer that over having a giant button in the middle of my screen yelling "PUSH ME PUSH ME".

Soooooo you have an addon set up to do basically the same thing but want to trash talk CLCRet cause buttons?

Okay....
Wasn't trash talking, was just saying what I prefer. Sheesh, so touchy.
Caden's like that sometimes.

Caden, lay off the Story forums for awhile! Jeez!
Think of CLC ret as a training tool...practice for spell priority(rotation)

I do think you shouldn't really need it after a couple raids tho.
Main reason I asked in the first place was cause last time I played ret was the beginning of Cata where I seem to remember the general consensus of the addon being "LOL you use CLC you noob! I don't need an addon to tell me how to play my spec right!". Was just wondering if that opinion had changed, and it seems like it has a bit.

Of course that just may have been randoms spouting off drivel trying to make themselves feel better about being good at a video game...

I never used it back then though and I still did fine. Actually did pretty well considering the general opinion of ret during T11 was...uhh..yeah.
I've never used it. Personally i don't like depending on an addon to help me play my class and if that addon were to fail or not work when i need it.. well that would screw with a lot of things.
last time I played ret was the beginning of Cata where I seem to remember the general consensus of the addon being "LOL you use CLC you noob! I don't need an addon to tell me how to play my spec right!". Was just wondering if that opinion had changed, and it seems like it has a bit.

Hmm, I remember during Cataclysm CLCRet was pretty highly-recommended, but that may not have been true at the beginning.
Of course that just may have been randoms spouting off drivel trying to make themselves feel better about being good at a video game...

That's exactly what it was.

Personally i don't like depending on an addon to help me play my class and if that addon were to fail or not work when i need it

By this logic you shouldn't use DBM because it's helping you execute the raid. If you use any addons to track Inquisition, CD's, trinkets, etc it's the same logic.
By this logic you shouldn't use DBM because it's helping you execute the raid. If you use any addons to track Inquisition, CD's, trinkets, etc it's the same logic.
Touchy much o.O? Clcret if some follow it 100% plays their class for them and requires very little though in it just here mash this button followed by this one ect. This is why i don't like addons like that and try raiding normal/heroic without a boss mod is extremely tough. As for addons that help inq its just another timer to me not here let me hold your hand though your rotation.
I heard ret paladins are incredibly sensitive, especially if you complain about Inquisition in any shape or form.
I heard ret paladins are incredibly sensitive, especially if you complain about Inquisition in any shape or form.

Just the regular forum posters who spend a little too much time going off on other people, they know who they are.
04/22/2013 06:29 PMPosted by Blurble
Touchy much o.O?

/sigh

If I was being touchy I would have been far more aggressive then that, I promise. ;)

04/22/2013 06:29 PMPosted by Blurble
Clcret if some follow it 100%

If you rely on it in that fashion then yes, it's quite bad. It's a tool. For new players it helps them learn the rotation.

For experienced players it's a glorified CD tracker.

If you have anything that tracks ability CD's or the like it's essentially the same thing.
For experienced players it's a glorified CD tracker.

http://i.imgur.com/gx5dyr2.png
lol
/sigh

If I was being touchy I would have been far more aggressive then that, I promise. ;)
I have never had a long conversation with you so i would have never known.
http://i.imgur.com/gx5dyr2.png
messy :c