Changes you would like to see to your spec

Mage
Post Limit:
We all have things we want to change about our mage spec. Here are my suggestions for Frost. Most, if not all, have been proposed by other people on these forums.

Spec - Frost

#1. Re-work glyph of Water Elemental. Glyphing the Elemental now causes the Elemental to fuse with the mage. The mage gains the Freeze spell and Frostbolt/Ice Lance/Frostfire Bolt (pick one) has improved damage to compensate for no Waterbolt.

Justification -> PvE mages no longer have to cart around a stupid non interactive pet on their raid bosses. PvP mages can still unglyph it to root someone incase they get CC-ed

#2. Frozen Orb now launches Frostbolts at nearby enemies at a rate based on the mage's Haste.

Justification -> Helps with Frost's poor scaling

#3. Ice Floes is now a baseline Frost spell & allows the mage to cast as many spells on the move as long as the buff stays active - (reduce buff duration, add in some other talent on Tier 1)

Justification -> Was bored so just threw in this idea >.>
I don't use frost much so I can't speak on it. Fire-wise I'd like something that makes it easier to tell when you have a high ignite tick going. Unless I'm running Combustion Helper, all I can really use to guage is whether my last pyro crit or not.

Talent-wise, I think the bomb tier needs to be redone entirely. Give each spec their elemental bomb and change the tier to do something else. The choices simply aren't interesting enough atm.

The final tier could use some tweaking too. Rune of Power and Invocation need more to differentiate the choices for non-arcane specs.
Give me back my cata mage. Everything else I don't care.
04/25/2013 08:39 AMPosted by Breaktheice
#1. Re-work glyph of Water Elemental. Glyphing the Elemental now causes the Elemental to fuse with the mage. The mage gains the Freeze spell and Frostbolt/Ice Lance/Frostfire Bolt (pick one) has improved damage to compensate for no Waterbolt.

My largest wish right there.

As far as the scaling issue is concerned they need to change frostbolt so under situations of extreme haste such as bloodlust+shadopan trinkets 8800 haste we can cast frostbolt under the gcd.

Also ditch 90 talents and add something different.
Interesting ideas, give us back Blastwave
As a general suggestion (One which will send a lot of flak my way) I preferred the Cataclysm talent system to the MoP system. It allowed people to really personalize their specs, whereas now every class is a slightly different version of one another. All melee classes can be traced back to the same basic scaling and framework. Its the same with casters - same framework, not so much scaling, but the way things are looking in MoP now, its as if there is one ranged, one melee, and one-two caster classes.
I'm still waiting on a meteor ability for my fire spec. Lets remove the cast time on flamestrike and add in Meteor which has a cast time and a AoE knockback.
Uh...well. That list would be too long.

I'll make it short: GIVE ME BACK BLASTWAVE.
I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MAGES ARE LIKE IN PVP RIGHT NOW. WHAT I SAY IS STRICTLY FOR PVE

Scrap our 90 talents ( I Personally just don't like them )

Fire:
Maybe a solution could be something like, everytime you don't crit with your fireball you gain 3% crit chance for Fireball only and resets when you cast any type of pyroblast. Cast or instaCast.

Change back to were living bomb is spread by inferno blast.

Rework our mastery so bomb ticks are affected by mastery + haste or our dots have chance to proc an extra time such as Dragonwrath did for all spells but limit it to dots.

Increase the range of inferno blast area spread.

Make Dragon's Breath a dot that can increase your crit chance if applied to a boss

Make combustion 100% of our ignite again but limit the damage to three targets

Frost

I actually suck at frost so I am not going to talk about frost :D

Arcane

Redo the mastery. Make it so our mastery regens mana faster

Add Clear Casting to arcane

give Icy floes a buff to 5 spells and you are able to evocate.

Personally I always have thought of arcane as a spec that should have some way to use a ton of spells free of cost with bonus damage ( our mastery could be the bonus damge). Like Cast X amount of spells and then use an ability to give you X more damage where X is the amount of spells cast and builds overtime for each time a spell does damage.

Say for instance we k get the mechanic listed above. A mage casts 20 arcane blasts and arcane missiles hits 16 times. that is 36 seconds of extra damage but it also requires a lot of finesse to pull off as much damage as you can factoring movement and trinket procs.
Scrap our 90 talents ( I Personally just don't like them )

Fire:
Maybe a solution could be something like, every time you don't crit with your fireball you gain 3% crit chance for Fireball only and resets when you cast any type of pyroblast. Cast or instaCast.

This is good. It enables mages who don't have the high crit gear to eventually pump out DPS regardless of random numbers and kind of prevents the whole dry-streak business that even people with high crit gear run into.

Change back to were living bomb is spread by inferno blast.

Getting some changes next patch and AoE is getting reworked...not sure what they're doing but we should probably wait and see what our AoE DPS situation is like.

Increase the range of inferno blast area spread.

I'm not entirely sure why this wasn't done to begin with.

Make Dragon's Breath a dot that can increase your crit chance if applied to a boss

They seem to want to stay away from things like DF. Damage on immune mobs (which was nice), otherwise frozen. DB would require us to be in melee range too.

They also seem reluctant to even alter combustion.

I actually suck at frost so I am not going to talk about frost :D

That's ok because it doesn't require a brain to play frost atm. It's boring.

Arcane

Redo the mastery. Make it so our mastery regens mana faster

Add Clear Casting to arcane

give Icy floes a buff to 5 spells and you are able to evocate.

Personally I always have thought of arcane as a spec that should have some way to use a ton of spells free of cost with bonus damage ( our mastery could be the bonus damge). Like Cast X amount of spells and then use an ability to give you X more damage where X is the amount of spells cast and builds overtime for each time a spell does damage.

Say for instance we k get the mechanic listed above. A mage casts 20 arcane blasts and arcane missiles hits 16 times. that is 36 seconds of extra damage but it also requires a lot of finesse to pull off as much damage as you can factoring movement and trinket procs.

Safe to say they have no idea what they're doing with arcane anymore. Don't think this suggestion would fix that unfortunately.

Arcane needs a way to deal substantial damage so that it is chosen for turret fights (few of those found in ToT) over frost/fire OR arcane needs better transitions during movement phases.

It was perfect when scorch weaving was implemented. Mana regeneration AND movement was covered. They won't go back to this.
Cata Fire Mage playstyle, and blastwave with knockback.
I've never been a big fan of Dragon Breath. It always seemed cheesy to me.

I'd give back Blastwave to fire mages with knockback (and maybe a cool "rising phoenix" animation) and the disorient of Dragon Breath, but take away Dragon Breath.
This change would probably piss off a lot of people. I just don't know if Dragon Breath and Blastwave can peacefully coexist in the eyes of Blizzard, and if I had to sacrifice one or the other (or merge the two into one like I did), I'd rather have Blastwave.
I've never been a big fan of Dragon Breath. It always seemed cheesy to me.

I'd give back Blastwave to fire mages with knockback (and maybe a cool "rising phoenix" animation) and the disorient of Dragon Breath, but take away Dragon Breath.
This change would probably piss off a lot of people. I just don't know if Dragon Breath and Blastwave can peacefully coexist in the eyes of Blizzard, and if I had to sacrifice one or the other (or merge the two into one like I did), I'd rather have Blastwave.

Dragon's Breath is an amazing ability that has saved my !@# more times then I can count.

You know not what you speak of.
I would like to see Ice Barrier change accordingly with the specific spec I am in. That way I am not always feeling like a frost mage. It's just a little aesthetic thing that bugs me.
I'd like to see fire more accessible.

Not dumbed down, but unless you have the crit rating it's just not going to fair well.

I'd like to see some of the "random stars align" damage there was in cata. I don't like what they did with inferno blast guaranteeing a crit and then nerfing the damage of pyro.

it's too controllable.
Instant Flamestrike again would be nice
Alter time and Icy veins no longer able to be dispelled/purged.
As somebody who is annoyed that almost everything I loved about playing a mage was invalidated by the bomb and mana regeneration talent tiers, I have some ideas for new level 90 talents that don't change the way you have been playing for 89 levels. I didn't invent names for these because these are rough ideas for passive damage increasing talents that are not just a flat 15% damage increase. Also, mana would regenerate through either our basic spells: arcane blast, frost bolt, and fireball (frostfire bolt if glyphed for fire mages) or our procs (pyroblast!, brain freeze, arcane missiles).

Talent 1: Every time you deal damage without causing a critical strike, your critical strike chance increases by 1%. This stacks up to X times. Causing a critical strike clears the stacks.

Talent 2: Double the duration of all damage over time effects you cast. Causing a critical strike with a damage over time tic increases the duration by X seconds.

Talent 3: Triggering pyroblast, frostfire bolt, or arcane missiles as a proc increases the damage of your next pyroblast, frostfire bolt, or arcane missiles proc by X%.

These would all increase damage and not get in the way since we are inherently fishing for procs, hoping for crits, and using the bomb spells anyway (in my system, frost bomb would be reworked to do damage over time before it explodes).
- Primary damage spells (Frostbolt, Fireblast, etc) instant. None of this cast time stuff.
--Hell, no cast time on anything. I hate cast time. This is a pipe dream, I know.
-Water Elemental engaging the target like hunter pets do or at least being able to taunt them in.
- I prefer the MoP talent tree, the old one never really made sense to me.

Beyond that, something better to keep enemies off long enough to pound them into death. I know that being a Glass Cannon is a trade off for lack of durability, but it's beyond ridiciuous how easy it is for melee classes to turn us into toothpicks. That, or better damage output on AOE's.