Creation of death knights.

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
I just read that Wowpedia article. Wowpedia, while usually a great source, should be taken with a grain of salt, just like any wiki.

It does indeed say :

The playable death knights are the uniformly undead[5] members of the Death Knights of Acherus, a regiment consisting of hundreds[6] of death knights stationed at the necropolis Acherus: The Ebon Hold under the direct command of the Lich King and Highlord Darion Mograine.

...but where does it get its facts from? The annotations link you to a forum thread, not to any official source of lore.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3313064613?page=3

After reading that thread, I don't see anything from definitive lore sources that say that all playable DKs must absolutely have been at Light's Hope Chapel. The one blue post in that thread doesn't address that issue. Anything posted by a player is not official.

I understand from a mechanical standpoint, every player must go through that starting zone. However, people have already pointed out in this thread that not everyone agrees that you have to take questing literally as part of your character's background.

I don't personally think there's any new DKs being created since Arthas was defeated (which is admittedly my opinion) but I haven't seen anything concrete that says that some Death Knights couldn't have been somewhere else at the time of Light's Hope.

If someone does find an official source from Blizzard stating otherwise, I will be happy to retcon my DK's personal history to reflect that.
Is it really so farfetched to believe a death knight character could have *not* been at Light's Hope, and was later freed by the Lich King's death? It would mean your character did a whole lot more killing and would probably be less accustomed to dealing with the consequences of being a freed death knight, but I can't see anything official to say it's impossible.

For game mechanics purposes, all player death knights come from the same place. But how often do people use the cut and dried ingame explanation for their character? Does every human character train at Northshire before going anywhere? Of course not, some of them aren't even from around Stormwind in the first place!
@Derscha: I agree, until we get a blue post, with real facts it's all "with a grain of salt".
Have most of you folks not done the Cataclysm EPL questlines? The dwarven paladin in Fiona's caravan is almost turned into a death knight by the Cult of the Damned.

If any little batch of the Cult of the Damned can create a death knight then not all player death knights have to work Acherus and the Battle for Light's Hope into their story. My death knight certainly wasn't there.
You can pretend as much as your heart desires as long as you do not ignore whats set in stone. Meaning IF you are a DK, you fall under what I quoted. You were at light's hope, you got thrown as fodder in a battle. And then when your mind was free you fought to free Acherus. After which you were sent to your faction.... now what happens between here, and you entering you faction city is up for RP. But you can not alter the facts.

The problem is that does not explain how Worgen Death knights got into the picture. The Scourge never made it passed the Greymane wall because of Arugal's dark magic. We also probably killed every single one of his worgen before the scourge got to him in SFK. Blizzard actually was asked about this and I think they something along the lines that there are other means to make Death knights than the Lich king. Worgen Death knights were most likely not present for the Lights hope event even if you play through it on your worgen DK. And than we have Goblins who are more likely to run some place far, far, far away than go head on with the scourge. So they kind of make just as much sense as Worgen Death knights being present for Lights Hope. Another important fact to note is not all Death knights are Undead -yet- Baron Rivendare a rather Iconic Death knight was alive but useing necromancy slowly gives your body a more deathly visage and possibly eventually makes you undead for all intensive purposes. So if one were to become a Death knight it could be done but they would need one VERY powerful necromancer or a group of Necromancer's to imbue them with such power. On top of that they would need to forge a vampiric rune blade which requires on of the forges either in Archerus or the Shadow vault in Icecrown. So Yes this is possible but it is certainly harder now sense the fall of the Lich king.
My death knight certainly wasn't there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8GsTqZSHP0

Here, maybe you forgot about the 1min story before you started playing DK.... the LK gives life to a dead corpse as soon as you click play on your newly made DK. Until that point in time you are meet in the fridge of the necropolis Acherus: The Ebon Hold, on your way to sack the Scarlet Onslaught.
So to answer the original question, no it is not possible to create new death knights in the current time line. It doesn't just bend lore it shatters it completely

Technically, this statement is wrong. Play through the Death Knight creation again, and look at the Acherus Necromancers that the Instructor walks by. If you wait long enough, you'll find that they are the ones that actually do the raising of a Death Knight, the Instructor supervising them.

There's nothing in the lore to say that Necromancers do not exist outside of the Scourge - it's where most of them are, but not all of them. If your character were to find a Necromancer skilled enough to raise them as a Death Knight, it's entirely possible. The only thing I see proving difficult is the creation of the Runeblade.
04/26/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Andryana
My death knight certainly wasn't there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8GsTqZSHP0

Here, maybe you forgot about the 1min story before you started playing DK.... the LK gives life to a dead corpse as soon as you click play on your newly made DK. Until that point in time you are meet in the fridge of the necropolis Acherus: The Ebon Hold, on your way to sack the Scarlet Onslaught.

Again, just because the game tells you a generic background for freshly made characters doesn't mean it's the only possible place you could come from. Not all human RP characters would be from Stormwind or it's surroundings, and not all of the ones that are would have trained at Northshire Abbey either. Not every dwarf would have been in Coldridge. Not every gnome would have been saved by other gnomes within Gnomeregan. Not every Death Knight would have been part of Acherus.

So why would you want to limit yourself to what the game tells you? If we do that, there's very little space for creativity.
It might be possible but it's likely poor form/coming close to snowflake territory.
You are all missing the point. If a death knight is somewhere else when he is freed, he would still have to come back to Acherus to get his letter of intention/ reference or whatever you want to call it from the Ebon Blade to be considered safe and not a member of the Scourge!

If you are created somewhere else, who is in control of you? The Lich King that now sits on the Frozen Throne or who created you for whatever purpose? Somewhere along the line you have to be a member of a faction. If you are not for the Alliance or the Horde and are rping some other faction, keep in mind the leaders of Horde or Alliance do not have to accept you. This is my opinion and I am trying to stay plausible.

You can be creative all you want. But going outside of established lore is really stretching it. But is seems people want to be the big baddies and go outside the box so I can't do anything about it. Play how you want and I am sure you will find others who do so as well.
You are all missing the point. If a death knight is somewhere else when he is freed, he would still have to come back to Acherus to get his letter of intention/ reference or whatever you want to call it from the Ebon Blade to be considered safe and not a member of the Scourge!

If you are created somewhere else, who is in control of you? The Lich King that now sits on the Frozen Throne or who created you for whatever purpose? Somewhere along the line you have to be a member of a faction. If you are not for the Alliance or the Horde and are rping some other faction, keep in mind the leaders of Horde or Alliance do not have to accept you. This is my opinion and I am trying to stay plausible.

You can be creative all you want. But going outside of established lore is really stretching it. But is seems people want to be the big baddies and go outside the box so I can't do anything about it. Play how you want and I am sure you will find others who do so as well.

That's not what I've been trying to say.

I'm not saying 'you can be a death knight that has no ties with the Ebon Blade', I'm saying 'it is perfectly possible to have been a death knight that never fought at Acherus and did not break free of the Scourge until the Lich King died.'

It's only natural that any death knights with ties to the Alliance or Horde would have had to go through the Ebon Blade to do that. I'm not trying to dispute that. I'm just trying to say that it doesn't have to be cut and dried 'this is the only backstory you're allowed'.

The biggest problem about the Ebon Blade is those death knight were touched by a miracle of the light, or at least the majority of them. Another thing to remember is the Ebon Blade is not very friendly about new members being in the fold, the showing of no Pandarin DKs is a sign that they either will nto raise new Death Knights or will not allow new Death Knights who were raised by other means. We do not have an official "So say it like this." from Blizzard but that is most of lore, we as those who follow it have to piece together the unspoken laws by what we see in game, the no Padarin DK's is one of those pieces.

To the one talking about Worgen and Goblin Death knights, that conversation was already discussed 4+ ago, you're late to the party.
Another way to look at it is this, those who were raised outside of Acherus and not at the battle of Light's Hope are still going to be considered Scourge. Even if you have a stray necromancer running around raising them. It would not be with the blessing of either faction or the Ebon Blade.

I can however give you this much to think about. Yes you have to be created at Acherus, it was an event that took place back in time when Arthas was in power. But it is not necessary to have all of his forces concentrated there. He could have had other death knights and Scourge scattered over Icecrown fighting. That I believe is plausible. Also it is shown in game he continued to create death knights after the business at Light's Hope. BUT! Those would be under his command and only released with his death, which leaves us to wonder what happened to all those he raised after Light's Hope. Are they or were they under the control of Bolvar? If so, are they freed of their service to the Scourge or do they continue to roam Icecrown doing their thing?

We will not have any definite answers on this from Blizzard, it is two expansions ago. We the players have to reach logical conclusions. Since Pandarens are not allowed to be death knights I am assuming that means no more are being created anywhere!
We will not have any definite answers on this from Blizzard, it is two expansions ago. We the players have to reach logical conclusions. Since Pandarens are not allowed to be death knights I am assuming that means no more are being created anywhere!

-snip-

I ended up trigger ranting to you without reading the opening bits, and ended up agreeing. I guess I will just sum it up.

There may still be deathknights being made, but they are certainly not horde / Allaince. The only confirmed wave would be Lights Hope. There is another possible wave from Arthas's death. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Forsaken are scooping up stray Scourge DK's, messing with their heads, and getting them to fight for them.

However I find that if you stray to far from the path as DK's you tend to fall quickly into Mary Sue territory. Now you can pull it off, but, at least from my experience, it tends to detract or just not effect RP in any major way.