Dungeons and Dragons - Neverwinter.

General Discussion
Neverwinter just a pretender to the throne?

MMO knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is STARK!
Is the writing on the wall for Blizzard/WoW or is Neverwinter just a pretender to the throne?

Everyone says the next MMo wil be a WoW killer, then said MMO crashes and burns. Just look at SWTOR (though i did like TOR)
04/30/2013 09:43 AMPosted by Vshade
Is the writing on the wall for Blizzard/WoW

WoW is a anomaly in the MMO market. There will never be a game that will contest their hold on it.

I imagine even "Titan" will have a hard time finding the success that WoW has.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/2721885/

All "WoW killer" threads belong in that forum.
MMO knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is STARK!

Stark.... Tony Stark.
What little I've seen shows it to be another "niche market" game. Neverwinter Nights had a run as a single player and didn't do very well over all. I doubt if an MMO version will do much better. What play it gets is very unlikely to contest with WoW for the "lion's share" of the online gaming market.

*meh*
over the weekend a guy did a 26 hour marathon of neverwinter's beta for charity, live streamed. i watched a little and a friend pretty much watched it whenever he was up and online himself.

yes. wow clone. which is a huge let down. i loved never winter nights 1 &2 and was jumping up and down giggling when i learned it wold be an mmo. but there is little to make it stand out against wow and other 'wow clones'.
Oh cool.... I played Baldur's gate (1998), Icewind Dale (2000), Neverwinter Nights games all the time (usually as a chaotic good Drow or Teifling or half-elf). That is how I ended up in WOW.... it was an online MMO version of D&D.
Oh cool.... I played Baldur's gate (1998), Icewind Dale (2000), Neverwinter Nights games all the time (usually as a chaotic good Drow or Teifling or half-elf). That is how I ended up in WOW.... it was an online MMO version of D&D.

I agree - I came to it by a similar route.

I am amazed, however, how much they are charging to buy the game. Almost 200 bucks for a premier start...wtf?!
over the weekend a guy did a 26 hour marathon of neverwinter's beta for charity, live streamed. i watched a little and a friend pretty much watched it whenever he was up and online himself.

yes. wow clone. which is a huge let down. i loved never winter nights 1 &2 and was jumping up and down giggling when i learned it wold be an mmo. but there is little to make it stand out against wow and other 'wow clones'.

I keep hearing this, how sad. I loved NWN 1 and 2. By Tyr's right buttock! :(
If I could import my twilek Jedi from SWTOR...

Actually I could just make a draenai warrior and play the exact same class :)
So much in wow has been stolen from D&D over the years, we've essentially been playing a bastardized version of it for some time. The bulk of the canon was written by D&D authors and campaign books ages ago.
Considering the general consensus on literally every MMO site is that neverwinter is not only terrible but ALSO pay to win, I think we'll be safe
I played it and it was fun but i don't like the microtransaction system. All those virtual walls might end me up paying more than i pay on WoW monthly.
So much in wow has been stolen from D&D over the years, we've essentially been playing a bastardized version of it for some time. The bulk of the canon was written by D&D authors and campaign books ages ago.

WoW has stolen from a lot of places. It's one of the reasons no one can compete. You can pick one mechanic to rely on (as SWTOR did with storytelling), but WoW can do more than your initial budget will ever allow.

I agree - I came to it by a similar route.

I am amazed, however, how much they are charging to buy the game. Almost 200 bucks for a premier start...wtf?!

That's just for benefits and free stuff. You don't actually have to pay anything to play. It works the same as their other two games: You can play for free, or pay a sub and get access to a bunch of other stuff without having to purchase it all piece by piece.

The Open beta started today. You can just go download it and jump in without paying a dime if you want.
04/30/2013 09:47 AMPosted by Regu
Is the writing on the wall for Blizzard/WoW or is Neverwinter just a pretender to the throne?

Everyone says the next MMo wil be a WoW killer, then said MMO crashes and burns. Just look at SWTOR (though i did like TOR)

Like all MMOs that have come since WoW, SWToR fell to the "it's too much like WoW" until it wasn't "enough like WoW."

The only MMO killer is WoW itself, and people expecting all new games to match WoW's content and polish.

As such, WoW will kill WoW. My question is, what will all the addicts do when their fix is finally gone?

As such, WoW will kill WoW. My question is, what will all the addicts do when their fix is finally gone?

I might try this 'outside' thing everyone keeps talking about.

More likely I'll just switch to Starcraft.