Compendium of Common Minions -RP'ing resource

Warlock
I really like the way our demons were given some thought in the greenfire questchain + explained a lot. feel free to disagree/agree with what i say, i'm just speculating + wating to help people out in how to view your demons if you're roleplaying.
sorry if this is long, i need to write a 10 page paper and want to get past my writer's block by writing on a topic i enjoy, so i took it a bit seriously for such a trivial topic :P.

Infernal/abyssal: they're mass engineered by the legion, so i dont think they have a thought about us. previous rituals had it taking a cast time to summon them + their summon was powerful, suggesting that this new summoning method weakens them somewhat. as of yet it is unknown, given the method of delivery, whether we are summoning the infernals themselves or contacting something to give us an infernal (seeing as they are constructs)

Doomguard/terrorguard: greenfire questchain confirmed they were drawn to sacrificial magic, which explains why earlier versions of the spell had us sacrificing and then force-enslaving one. according to the green fire quest, a contract had been reached with some doomguards, though nothing permanent. it also seems that the doomguards summoned are weaker than when the warlocks utilized the full ritual + enslavement, suggesting that either only weaker doomguards participate in this or that the contract weakens the doomguard (or both).

imp/fel imp: imps in general seems really akin to being binded. i feel imps know they cant stand alone (hence why they often travel in groups) and so willingly contract themself to a warlock. though they do have a swelled ego and believe that they are more "partners" instead of "minions" to the warlock.

blueberry/blueberrylord: THIS is interesting. all the voidwalker wants to do is go back to the void. he is grateful when dismissed, annoyed when summoned, and will ask you to release him. MEANWHILE, the void lord is as giddy as a schoolgirl to be out. i'd assume this would be because perhaps lower void-beings gather nourishment from the void, while higher void-beings are "hungrier" and need actual matter to devour. i base this off of the voidwalkers quote "i must feed" and the ability consume shadows, and the mob dimensius, who devoured the ethereal homeworld. this would make any lower voidling want to return, and any higher voidling want to explore. however, both are incredibly loyal + enslaved to the warlock. the reason for this is a combination of the binding the warlock places on them and their overall apathy.

succubus/shivarra: these demons, as opposed to bluueberries jr. and sr., appear to be all about "passion". IT SHOULD BE NOTED, that while the succubi only focus around emotions of "love" (jealousy, lust, longing, desire, etc.) a shivarra can also focus around emotions of "hate" (anger, wrath, regret, ) as seen by Alizabel. I'd guess this is because the more fel energy you amass, the darker your emotions get. this is why the blueberries have no emotion (theyre of the void, they have no fel energy) the succy expresses dark emotions like jealous but it's out of love (they have low fel energy) and the shivarra, especially alizabel, want to nuke the universe (a lot of fel energy). it could also explain why karenthad went crazy sociopathic when he completed his demonic form. in any case while the succy, being all abou tlove, will commonly fall into a stockholm syndrome with the warlock, it seems the shivarra must be forcibly bound to the warlock.

felhunter/observer: two completely different demons that fill the same role, interesting enough. both seem to be well-adept at finding + feeding off magic, particularly arcane in the felhunters case. it could be the felhunters served a similar role to doomguards to punish arcane users (since doomguards were sent after sacrificial magics that were seen as the worst, the felhounds may have covered lesser offenses). In any case, felpuppies appear to be only pets, capable of understand basic commands. observers, on the other hand, are much more intelligent. it appears some serve the Legion and therefore engorge themselves on fel magic (explaining huge observers in TK and at some of the forgecamps in bade's edge) though this doesn't seem to be common practice. combine the fact that observers served illidan and he did NOT feed them fel magic (he fed them pure arcane magic) with their intelligence it may be that these "demons" have enough sense to stay away from felmagic and the Legion. it may also explain why they have such a difficult migratory pattern (to prevent even the Legion from summoning them) or why they chose to occupy netherstorm as opposed to shadowmoon. The reason these demons contract to you is to fulfill a pet role, they do what you say and you feed them. plain and simple.

felguard/wrathguard: it seems the only thing that these demons care for is strength. like the imps, they're pretty one dimensional + the differences between the normal and empowered counterparts are few so i don't have much to say about them. it was revealed that the secret to enslaving a wrathguard was weaking the runes in the circle to make the summon + wrathguard have more power and then to still subjugate them. it seems fitting that they are only accessible to demonology warlocks, since these warlocks would have to study for long periods on how the Legion subjugates its guards. it appears as if a show of strength is neccessary, however, warlocks generally are not physically strong inidividuals. therefore it seems the felguard/wrathguards may have some vulnerability to magic. one interesting difference between the two is that wrathguards appear to have some intellect, and has roots in the original eredar race. however, perhaps due to the Legion's techniques, their lowly role in either the Legion and/or the eredar society, or fel magic in general, it seems their intelligence/willpower has been dumbed down. wrathguards tend to aspire to be commanders, however, it seems they cannot compete with pitlords and are therefore just looked at as "felguard 2.0".

Sources: a mixture of wowpedia + serveal WoW events from the holographs in the exodar to the green fire questchain. (i already have to do a works cited page for a 10 page paper, im taking this serious but not THAT seriously :P).

Feel free to add your own thoughts, attack my claims, sticky/upvote (plz no downvote D=) and just in general keep this bumped so it doesn't fall to the "i got green fire!"/"nerf karenthad!" posts :P
Well that was actually a pretty interesting read, a handful of it I recalled from playing a warlock back in the day, but a lot of it (especially regarding the Go:Sup Demons) I didn't know.

+1 For a great post good sir.
Well that was actually a pretty interesting read, a handful of it I recalled from playing a warlock back in the day, but a lot of it (especially regarding the Go:Sup Demons) I didn't know.

tyvm, but didn't seem like anyone else read it :(

tyvm, but didn't seem like anyone else read it :(

I did.

I think the Observers need to be... uh, observed more. If you recall from the diary, they contacted the Outland investigators, not the other way around. I think there is more to them, call it a hunch.
I think the Observers need to be... uh, observed more. If you recall from the diary, they contacted the Outland investigators, not the other way around. I think there is more to them, call it a hunch.
it wouldn't surprise me either way. they seem to be highly intelligent. enough to avoid being contracted if they dont want to, at least. so they might've accomplished some interesting stuffs. however they're also migratory and tend to appreciate the "pet" role. they might like nothing more than to be safely tasting dfferent magic.
I did.

Contacted... I don't really think that's the right word... They were actually "ambushed" by them, and given this context I think if they were just some run of the mill arcane mage they would of nommed them without a second thought but given the nature of warlocks (warlocks love power and such) it'd be in their best interest to accompany them.

It's also worth noting that I really think you're onto something with their size being relative to the amount of magics consumed, there were also giant observers (albeit in service of the legion) at the Sunwell (which is a huge source of arcane magics).
The tome dialogues also help us understand them a lot since it is one of the few interactions we actually have with our pets. Pulled from wowhead:

mp/Fel Imp: ... yeah? Sup, boss?
Voidwalker: Dismiss me... I wish to return to the void.
Felhunter: It looks at you blankly.
Succubus: Hello Master... what kind of service can I provide you today... ?
Voidlord: You wish to speak with me...? Unusual...
Observer: Ah Master/Mistress <name>, how might I be of assistance?
Shivarra: What do YOU want, you miserable excuse for a human?

What can you tell me about this tome?

Imp/ Fel Imp: Hmm... I have no idea.
Voidwalker: Words are not the way of the void. I do not know... it appears to connect two... stars together...
Felhunter: The felhunter just tilts its head and stares at you strangely.
Succubus: What? You just want me to look at some dirty old tome? Ugh, how disappointing. This is the script of the Naztherim, what you call Dreadlords. They rarely use it outside of their home.
Voidlord: I cannot read the words...but the magic points to a world that exists no longer. It was destroyed by the Legion.
Observer: Of course! This codex is written in the ancient Naztherim tongue. Naztherim, or Dreadlords, as you call them, were once an enlightened and powerful race. Their skill in summoning and gateway magics was unsurpassed by any in the Great Dark Beyond. This particular tome contains instructions to open a gateway to another world. Sadly, I fear that world no longer exists. It was destroyed as a show of power during the enslavement of Xoroth. The tome is useless, I'm afraid. No human warlock could open such a gateway alone.
Shivarra: No. I won't help your kind read an ancient Naztherim text. Now, release me!

Your closing dialogue
All demons but Observer: Fascinating...
Observer: I had no idea you were so well-informed.

Observer's response: It is the way of the Observer to bear witness to all things that come to pass. So many delicious magics have I tasted at your side, Master/Mistress.

Your response: Fascinating...

The observers are definitely the most intelligent as they... observe... the universe. It also makes it clear that they serve you just to taste different kinds of magic which you come across. This also explains why they are migratory (to observe and to taste new magic) and why they might avoid the legion (nothing new to see or eat).