Necrotic Strike massively nerfed PvP hotfix*

Death Knight
http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/237907-necrotic-bugged-apparently/

"There's a bug where it ignores base resilience. On PTR, base resilience got bigger. Fixing." -Holinka

Already hotfixed on live apperently. Go test your necrotic strikes absorbs, they are laughably low.
It has already been low, which is why I am baffled anyone would pick UH over frost with how useless necro has been since the start of the expac. Bigger health pools, bigger heals, necro didnt get enough of absorb buff + move to death rune = useless ability. Only worth it apply the casting slow every so often.
Thank god I don't pvp.
Not surprising.
It has already been low, which is why I am baffled anyone would pick UH over frost with how useless necro has been since the start of the expac. Bigger health pools, bigger heals, necro didnt get enough of absorb buff + move to death rune = useless ability. Only worth it apply the casting slow every so often.

you do know in PvP gear

with everything procced i could get 105-110k Necros EACH

havent PvPed since the hotfix but 1 Necros is/was very potent.
04/26/2013 02:12 PMPosted by Doomgard

you do know in PvP gear

Ya it's the living long enough to get everything proced, setting up strikes to get your death runes read to go and then start. Was enjoying being back on my DK but PvPing just shows are stupid some other classes are, yet lets nerf Dks more!
WTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :(
ignore this post, this was just an idiot's post, who has no idea how effective Necros were.

Unneeded nerf was unneeded.
Not only "fixed", but also nerfed.

April 26
Classes
Death Knight
General
Necrotic Strike's damage against players and pets should now be properly affected by base Resilience and the amount of healing absorbed has been reduced.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8953693/

Instead of the finesse of a scalpel, it seems Blizz uses a chainsaw or something. Time and testing will tell...
04/26/2013 02:12 PMPosted by Doomgard

you do know in PvP gear

You...have evidence to back up that claim? I want to see these 110k necros per stack while wearing pvp gear.
You...have evidence to back up that claim? I want to see these 110k necros per stack while wearing pvp gear.

Have you played the PTR? It was definitely absorbing for over 100k each strike during CDs.
It's a good thing they fixed Necrotic Strike

Death Knight (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
When will necrotic strike be fixed?
We have a hotfix in the works to restore necrotic strike to its previous values on live. It wasn't meant to nerf them but fix a problem with necrotic strike and base resilience.

Oops Spoke too soon.

Necrotic Strike's damage against players and pets should now be properly affected by base Resilience and the amount of healing absorbed has been reduced.

It's a good thing they posted how it wasn't meant to be a nerf only to follow it up with A NERF.

Still needed a nerf.
It's a good thing they fixed Necrotic Strike

When will necrotic strike be fixed?
We have a hotfix in the works to restore necrotic strike to its previous values on live. It wasn't meant to nerf them but fix a problem with necrotic strike and base resilience.

Oops Spoke too soon.

It's a good thing they posted how it wasn't meant to be a nerf only to follow it up with A NERF.

Still needed a nerf.

they should increase the base amount and nerf how much it scales. its the scaling with procs that made necrotic insane
Its a huge nerf to the Unholy DK. With the nerf to pvp power and the buff to healing power, Necrotic Strike is now almost useless. Its 25% worse than before and when 5.3 will comes up, the new pvp and healing power in pvp will completely destroy Necrotic Strike.

Back to frost guys....sad but true.
Its a huge nerf to the Unholy DK. With the nerf to pvp power and the buff to healing power, Necrotic Strike is now almost useless. Its 25% worse than before and when 5.3 will comes up, the new pvp and healing power in pvp will completely destroy Necrotic Strike.

Back to frost guys....sad but true.

Have you used Necrotic Strike on the PTR? 100k absorb each time you pressed it during your CDs. It needed a nerf.

Healing was not buffed. Battle Fatigue was nearly doubled and then the PvP power healing bonus was increased to make the overall healing output roughly the same. Then they nerfed PvP power scaling, which reduces damage AND healing. Necrotic Strike is going to be fine, calm down.
04/28/2013 10:36 AMPosted by Çranky
Have you used Necrotic Strike on the PTR? 100k absorb each time you pressed it during your CDs. It needed a nerf.

WITH CDS:

100k on target dummy
60k on players (40% baseline resil factored in)
35k Post 5.3 (assuming only the 65% baseline resil. If gems also affect this it will drop even more)

Without CD's
60k on target dummy
36k on players (with current 40% baseline resil)
21k Post 5.3 (with 65% baseline resil and assuming gems will not affect the damage)

W/O cd's it simply is not worth the death rune expenditure. If gems do in fact reduce the absorb damage it will not be viable even with cd's IMO.

BTW I did not factor in the coming gear scaling nerf which again will reduce this damage even further. The math may be slightly off but you get the point
Your numbers seem a lot lower than they were on the PTR. Regardless, how is a 21k absorb not good? Don't forget Necrotic Strike can hit for a decent chunk of damage. Mine crits for 40k during CDs on a regular basis. Combine that with gargoyle, your pet, and your dots. You have some great pressure right there.

Death Runes mean next to nothing as an unholy DK. They are extremely easy to get. I don't understand the issue.
Your numbers seem a lot lower than they were on the PTR. Regardless, how is a 21k absorb not good? Don't forget Necrotic Strike can hit for a decent chunk of damage. Mine crits for 40k during CDs on a regular basis. Combine that with gargoyle, your pet, and your dots. You have some great pressure right there.

Death Runes mean next to nothing as an unholy DK. They are extremely easy to get. I don't understand the issue.

Legitimate question.

I am not saying it is absolutely terrible but there are a few factors here you are forgetting. What I listed above is BEST CASE scenario.

Gear will be scaled down and so will attack power and pvp power with it. Those reductions are NOT factored in.

Secondly death runes are not as easy to get as you think. When I spend a death rune I have to wait 10 seconds for that death rune to repop. Then burn a global on one of a few specific abilities to convert it back to a death rune, then wait another 10 seconds for the death rune to become available.

I dont claim to be pro but even in the 1300 - 1750 area teams dont generally let you beat on healers for all that long before doing something about it. One solid cc and ALL stacks drop.

EDIT: Also there are 2 more things that came to mind

#1 This is the glue that holds the spec together and creates its desireability oin 3v3 arena. If the ability foes from very good to medicore, the viability goes right along with it.

#2 This was apparently a long standing bug, which means the game was probably balanced around what it was actually doing not what it was supposed to be doing.
Tweet holinka then. Now would be a good time to bring this up.