Is there a way to upgrade gear?

Death Knight
When I hover the mouse over my character items, it is saying 'Upgrade level 0/1'. Is there an option in game to upgrade your gear?
Not until next patch.

The major change we're making to item upgrades in 5.3 is drastically reducing their cost. We agree that it felt pretty bad to upgrade a non-best-in-slot item in 5.1 and then end up replacing it. 1500 Valor was a pretty hefty investment. But at 250 VP per upgrade, you can realistically upgrade all your gear over the course of a tier, which should change things a bit. --ghostcrawler
As long as it stays out of PvP I am happy. The way they are doing it to works very well. They can release a raid every other patch and the patch in between they can allow you to upgrade gear from the current raid allowing you to progress farther if you are still struggling with it.
04/26/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Fálrin
As long as it stays out of PvP I am happy.

So I take it you can't upgrade pvp gear?
04/26/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Ghoulz
As long as it stays out of PvP I am happy.

no.
They tried that last season and the disparity between someone in fully upgraded elite weapons and non was gamebreaking.
04/26/2013 02:56 PMPosted by Kusari

no.
They tried that last season and the disparity between someone in fully upgraded elite weapons and non was gamebreaking.

Well, half right.

If you have any season 12 gear leftover, you can upgrade it. Anything from season 13 will be a no-no.
no.

Well, half right.

If you have any season 12 gear leftover, you can upgrade it. Anything from season 13 will be a no-no.

^^^^ this
they are trying to get people caught up in between content so no you wont be able to upgrade new content gear, but they will turn it off for 5.4 just like they did for 5.2, its an in between catch up kind of thing.