Rooting For The Empire *possible spoilers*

Movies, TV and Entertainment
Post Limit:
Just wondering, does anybody else find themselves sometimes rooting for the designated, clear-cut villains of a show? I don't mean like in World of Warcraft, where it's all just different shades of gray.

For example, in Code Geass, I found myself hoping that Schniezel would win. He really had done very little evil (considering his status as the main villain) when compared to Lelouch. Then the writers decided to try to derail his character by deciding that he doesn't care about how many people die for world peace. I was still rooting for him through this though because he's still charismatic and kind compared to Ledouche, and his plan makes way more sense than Lelouch "become a dictator of one country and then die, instant world peace" plan that would really not solve anything other than killing off the most unlikeable protagonist I've ever seen.

Just wondering, does anybody else ever find themselves thinking like this? Again, no examples from shows where they intentionally make you decide between which side is right, make the examples from shows with a clear-cut, black and white, "this guy is bad and this guy is good" mindset.
The villains are always more interesting then the heroes.
In a weird way... Gendo Ikari of Evangelion fame.

If you see the entire series + End, it becomes rather obvious that his motivations for Instrumentality were extremely selfish and inconsiderate for the rest of humanity's desires, and had the long term side-effect of leaving his son a living wreck by the end (mainly by neglect, but also by emotionally abusing/manipulating him on the rare occasions they do interact). In short, it's made rather clear that he's no bastion of heroism, and he performs more than a few bastardly acts throughout the series.

Yet, for anyone who's ever been in a relationship with/ found someone they truly love, it's rather poignant that his ultimate goal in life is "reunite with wife, no matter what" taken to its' logical extreme. No less frightening, but... How many other forms of media do we have that advocate/show finding happiness with the subject of one's love, no matter who else may end up getting hurt along the way, yet don't quite look into it beyond the surface?

Not only that, but when he's finally managed to reunite with his wife... She more or less tells him that she hates everything he did to see her again, instead of using that time to get past his fear of inadequacy and raising their son.
/corks my rant on C.G.

This is going to be niche as hell, but I'm glad that Tsutomu Nihei wrote a one-shot redemption story for the Silicon Creatures in Blame!. They were the bad guys, but by the end you understood that they were fighting for self-preservation; it was either the humans would survive, or them. And they wanted to survive.

Which meant damning the human race, so it was genocide either way.

But I'm glad that Killy saved Pcell at the end and she was able to presumably save her race.

Edit:

And sometimes I just want the bad guys to win because it'd make sequels more interesting. :3
I wanted Loki to win in Avengers.
In a weird way... Gendo Ikari of Evangelion fame.

If you see the entire series + End, it becomes rather obvious that his motivations for Instrumentality were extremely selfish and inconsiderate for the rest of humanity's desires, and had the long term side-effect of leaving his son a living wreck by the end (mainly by neglect, but also by emotionally abusing/manipulating him on the rare occasions they do interact). In short, it's made rather clear that he's no bastion of heroism, and he performs more than a few bastardly acts throughout the series.

Yet, for anyone who's ever been in a relationship with/ found someone they truly love, it's rather poignant that his ultimate goal in life is "reunite with wife, no matter what" taken to its' logical extreme. No less frightening, but... How many other forms of media do we have that advocate/show finding happiness with the subject of one's love, no matter who else may end up getting hurt along the way, yet don't quite look into it beyond the surface?

Not only that, but when he's finally managed to reunite with his wife... She more or less tells him that she hates everything he did to see her again, instead of using that time to get past his fear of inadequacy and raising their son.
Yeah, there's all of that, but there's also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RsepQh342g

I do agree though. While I didn't hate the pilots as much as some people do, I just plain felt bad for Gendo. He seemed so desperate in End, and then everything started falling apart. Including his arm. And GNR.

I think everybody liked Kaworu, I've never heard anybody talk of him in a negative light, but I guess he did succeed in his own way.