are warlocks inherently evil

Story Forum
I always think of warlocks as using demons for a greater good but the demons temp them and whisper to them like real demons
Yes, Warlocks are evil. But they are better described as the Renegade type idealism.

Renagades, are unlike their Paragon counter parts, the renagae alignment is one of amoral and scurpulious idealisms, The renagade is The shoot first ask questions later hero.

renagades are not always an evil type allignment. but a hero that is Evil will always fall int the renegade alignment.

the three alignments are Renegade, Neutral, and Paragon.

neutral will allways be neutral to all affairs. Helps who ever needs help whether their ideals are benifical to them.

Paragons tend to feel the need for altruism, or Virtuousness.

Renegades<- Neutral -> Paragons

then there is;

Chaos <- Balance -> Order.

->->-> Fire -> -> Air
^ ^ V
Dark <-Shadow-> Light
^ ^ V
<-<- < Water <- earth
"Magic should serve man, not rule over him"

It's kind of a case by case basis IMO. Most of the faction specific ones are more amoral jerks than anything.

The real question is: Are all Warlocks inherently arrogant? I think so.
Are all Warlocks inherently arrogant? I think so.

You're either arrogant or dead. Show weakness, and they'll turn on you in a heartbeat.
You're either arrogant or dead. Show weakness, and they'll turn on you in a heartbeat.

I know that, i'm a rogue.
"Magic should serve man, not rule over him"

It's kind of a case by case basis IMO. Most of the faction specific ones are more amoral jerks than anything.

The real question is: Are all Warlocks inherently arrogant? I think so.

" Oh, the MAKER told you that, did he? Short-sighted MEN have forbidden my methods; not any god!"

On that note, Fel Magic is akin to Blood Magic from Dragon Age. Powerful, volatile, comes with a massive risk factor if mishandled.
Warlocks are not so much 'evil' as 'ambitious, ruthless, and willing to resort to the options everyone else keeps off the table.'

If you melt a man's flesh off with dark magic, sic a demonic octopus on him, and chomp down his soul, sure, it sounds bad. If you do it to prevent him from blowing up a convent or summoning a brain-eating tentacle monster, does that make it better?

It all boils down to ends and means. What the acceptable ends are to justify the means Warlocks use.
No. I do not believe that there is any such thing as a truly "good" warlock, though. They are self-motivated (( Neutral )) at best. Or as another poster put it:

they're just selfish, amoral jerks.
05/06/2013 10:18 AMPosted by Grimauna
Are all Warlocks inherently arrogant? I think so.

That flies in the face of everything the trainers said in the original warlock quests.

The entire theme was to take things slow and respect your betters, or else fall to corruption and die.
They are a necessary evil, we need them just like they need us. Someone has to be able to enslave demons and counter their magic.

But when all is said and done and everyone is at peace, will they stop using demonic powers willingly? Or will they be driven mad by the demonic spirits that they hear and previously controlled.
Someone mentioned the green fire scenario.

There is a point in the scenario where you are prompted to loot the temple. I was severely disappointed at this portion of the quest. I poked at the door Akama ran through for 5 minutes trying to get it to open. I think Blizzard should have made that portion of the scenario an actual choice instead of "it's a choice! not". I became a warlock for real power not transient monetary wealth; the next time demons invade try throwing money at them and see how far that gets you (maybe rogues will get "Gil Toss" from Final Fantasy next expansion).

Summoning and subjugating demons isn't inherently evil. I've never seen any concrete lore in game that says they can directly corrupt their summoner; at most they're like evil cheer leaders encouraging you to do evil.

There are also good demons. There is a Night Elf quest in Ashenvale where a Satyr seeking redemption helps you. At the end of the quest line he turns back into a Night Elf. Before you say "ah ha, then he wasn't a demon", he was a demon for the entire chain and only turned back into an Elf when it was over after his "redemption."

It comes down to what you're willing to do to ensure your world has a future. Being a warlock isn't pretty, and many practitioners lose their way (and have to be put down). In the end it's about having the power and tools you need to solve the problem at hand. If ultimate arcane power could be achieved using doilies, I'd be all up in this place with the power of frilly lace table mats (fear the power of my radial symmetry).
05/12/2013 07:29 AMPosted by Aemon
There is a point in the scenario where you are prompted to loot the temple. I was severely disappointed at this portion of the quest. I poked at the door Akama ran through for 5 minutes trying to get it to open. I think Blizzard should have made that portion of the scenario an actual choice instead of "it's a choice! not".

Originally it did offer a choice, which is why the NPC conversation is kind of confusing. Blizzard changed it because they felt that one would be determined to be the better choice game wise. I would have to look for the post a while back. But, yah it was originally a choice.

Fel magic offers power. Power to do good. Or power to abuse. So, some warlocks wield it for selfish reasons and some to combat fire with fire and do good. The problem comes in that Fel is also one of, if not the most addictive of the magics. Once a person is addicted to it, even a good person might be pushed to do something bad.

As an illustration: Imagine if a drug came out that made a person faster and stronger. No major side effects other then it is extremely addictive. So, police and fire fighters start taking it. Their effectiveness goes up and they accomplish lots of good. But what happens when they have to choose between satiating their addiction or saving a person. Some, otherwise very good people, will let the person die to get that fix. Some might be able to overcome it. But many wont. What happens when those same people that let a person die get another choice, they have to kill someone to get their fix. Again, otherwise good people start doing evil things to full fill the need.

That is how Fel magic corrupts good people. Can some wield it and remain good? Sure, some. But many will succumb and slip into darkness. So, warlocks evil as a whole? No. More prone to evil then others? Yep. And that is not even factoring in that Fel magic tends to draw those that are only interested in power. It is a quicker way to power, and those who want it for its own sake are drawn toward it. As a result, your percentage of evil to good will be much higher among warlocks then other classes. But it is not 100% evil.