Balance Random BG by ilevel!

Battlegrounds
Why isn't this a thing already?
I suspect that if you asked someone from Blizz, they'd say it would make queue times too long.
Doing anything apparently increases queue times and apparently that's "bad". It is better that people go into lopsided bgs and lose repeatedly than to actually do anything to bring some form of "balance" to the game.

The issue is not ilevel, but skill. If they were truly serious about "balance", they would match the bgs up by MMR, not ilevel or class role (which they are doing in 5.3). Both sides of the match should have an approximately equal MMR average. So for every gladiator in the BG, the other team would get a few duelists or challengers to try to balance him out.

Additionally, people that just want to "play with their friends" could do so, but how about they get a separate queue so they can queue against other people just "playing with their friends" and leave the random solo players out of it. I'm all for friends being able to play, but it should not be at the cost of the unwashed masses who are forced to repeatedly lose to facilitate their "fun".
It would make very little differences & yes it would likely increase queue times. In the vast majority of the BGs I have been in the team that loses simply plays poorly... there isn't a very strong correlation between better gear & winning.
This bugaboo about queue times is so destructive... I can't believe the lengths devs will go to sometimes to shorten the wait times. That other MMO that was supposed to be the WOW killer made cross faction teams in warfronts (their bgs) mandatory and unavoidable. They did this in the name of reducing wait times. That completely destroyed the experience for me (and my entire circle of friends in that game), and here I am.

That other MMO, btw, started matching groups by gear and putting premades with other premades of the same size in its first year. I was in the faction then (as I am here) with the longer wait times, and I didn't find them objectionable (rarely more than 6 minutes), except when I signed in with more than one friend (and it was never a premade, we don't use vent or anything... really was "friends group together"). I was glad it was that way, because it put premades with premades.

I would rather wait for a bg that is as balanced as reasonably possible than get one that is quick and inbalanced. When the other side has five heals and we have none, that's... suboptimal. So is having a premade on one side and PUG on the other, or one side that vastly outgears the other.

And Blizz, you have to get serious about getting the bots out. A picture captcha in the bg sign in would do it... you could grab four (or six, or whatever) random mobs, put them in different colors and different poses, in terrain, and ask the user to click (for example) the bear. Much easier than those text captchas, and it would be effective. Picture captchas are often compromised when the bot memorizes all the pictures, but you would not have to have a predetermined set of images like that.
Single players, and premade groups would exploit ilvl requirements. Just human nature, to do the wrong thing when no one is looking.
Single players, and premade groups would exploit ilvl requirements. Just human nature, to do the wrong thing when no one is looking.

I rather go up against a pro premade with the same ilvl than a premade with superior gear insta-killing me whenever I get close.
Sure, lets equip ourselfs with dreadful gear, then swap to our malv set when we're inside.

It won't work.
it most certainly will increase queue times, what determines what cut off it will be? What will the times be like for the players above the set cut off level? I wait 5-7 mins now for a bg queue, if I were to consistently wait 10-12 the game woulndt be worth playing for me anymore.
Sure, lets equip ourselfs with dreadful gear, then swap to our malv set when we're inside.

It won't work.

//lolfacepalm
Yea, Blizz are retards.
If they did this they would totally forget about not letting people equip higher ilevel gear once they're in the BG.
it most certainly will increase queue times, what determines what cut off it will be? What will the times be like for the players above the set cut off level? I wait 5-7 mins now for a bg queue, if I were to consistently wait 10-12 the game woulndt be worth playing for me anymore.

Go Ally, are queues are less than 3 minutes. Most within seconds.
The question you didn't answer....what would cut-off be?
The question you didn't answer....what would cut-off be?

That's not for me to answer; it aint my job.
Leave it to the people that are getting paid to answer it.
I'm only here to plant an idea.
What would your ideal cut-off be? I know it's not your job...but you have obviously thought about it so..just curious ;)
05/05/2013 12:52 PMPosted by Errvicious

Go Ally, are queues are less than 3 minutes. Most within seconds.

I shoulndt have to pay money for a faster queue. They were almost instant...for horde...now people went ally and horde queues are longer. Then people start going ally for quicker queues...and guess what? More ally and less horde...horde queues will get quicker and allies longer. Its a cycle.

And again, even if you are geared alliance, you will still be standing around for 10-15 EASY to get into a bg that everyone has the same Ilvl as you. Its not fair for the players that put forward a bit more effort. And it all but eliminates the reward for putting effort in.

HI if you play your arenas and rbgs consistently you can get geared quicker.....ok seems legit. NOW if you decide to do that, we must warn you your queue times for a random bg will increase 10 fold. No thanks.
Yea, you're right.
It's so fair for low geared players to be farmed by people in full Tyrannical+ that don't even need Honor points.
Yea, you're right.
It's so fair for low geared players to be farmed by people in full Tyrannical+ that don't even need Honor points.

Yeah I have 5 pvp geared 90s and uhh they all take their beating like all my alts, and after a few days...hey they are good to go. You know, take their lumps
Yay, I finally get to use my new blog to copy and paste from! Here is why MMR in random BG's is a horrible idea:

The MMR system won’t work out like you think because:

1) It will increase queue times across all MMR’s by pulling people out of a “general population” queue.

2) Just like with arena, players with extremely high MMR’s will have excruciatingly long queues.

3) People who aren’t “good” at the game, but legitimately try, may sink to the bottom of the MMR system where they are lumped in with nothing but bots – and quite frankly, that’s just not fair.

4) As we all know, there are certain maps with built in map imbalances. Does this mean each faction should just queue for whichever BG they “tend” to win more to boost their MMR?

5) A system like this will also encourage premades since it will be the best way to ensure wins. But then what happens when the ratings start to settle and all of the top MMR players are premaders and suddenly the solo queuer’s are shoved down into the middle of the pack?

Taken from here: http://killadrixexplainsthings.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/random-bg-hidden-mmr-role-checks-ilvl-checks-and-prostate-checks-why-they-are-bad/

Everyone was there at one point...
05/05/2013 02:50 PMPosted by Jugaa

Everyone was there at one point...

You know what we should do?

Remove honor for losses so the undergeared player tries harder against the full Tyr player.

I think that a little motivation is all they need to overcome the ilvl difference.

/chuckle