Why play Rogue over anything else?

Rogue
Honestly? What's the point? The more and more I play in PvP, the more I realize how much more powerful everyone else is compared to us. The only thing keeping us alive is how we can disengage any PvP situation assuming that we don't get stalked, or our high burst which, can be quite useless now. If we're starting a burst, chances are we'll just hit one of the 20 fears/stuns/snares that's being casted by any other player.

And all we get are Nerfs. When was the last time we've seen some sort of amazing buff that helps us with our killing power? The upcoming change to our Cloak and dagger just made me drop rogue completely. The second I get some other toon to level 90, I'll drop rogue until we get some new changes for the better.
If this thread has popped up multiple times, there's a problem.

I agree, but I think we have different ideas as to what the problem is.
this.!@#$ing.thread.again.

You're doing something wrong.

Yup. The problem being they made a talent that's only good for a single spec. Bad idea was a bad idea. They should just give us something decent, like ShS baseline (some form) and the tier having bos and 2 other talents that modify ShS.

They shouldn't have made the talent in the first place. As usual, Blizz has like 20/420 vision.
Who freaking cares. I'm not going to abandon my fav class simply because I'm not super OP! I'm not some fotm scrub.
I agree for the most part Cadavette! However, their are many talents throughout all the classes that cater much more favorably to certain specs. So while it may have been a bad idea, it's still pretty consistent with the talent system as a whole. I personally like the talent and think it was a good idea given that it fits in with many other talents throughout the talent system in how they cater more favorably to certain specs/situations. Specifically, Cloak and Dagger provides fun for many people along with a higher skill cap than most talents. They are just ruining it now and making it worthless by not allowing it to work with Shadow Dance! So do we get a new replacement soon? It's highly unlikely. They'll probably just let the talent sit there in it's useless state until 5.4 or something. It's crazy!

Can we at least get a Sprint buff? It gets devalued with the increased amounts of snares, roots, and other classes' speed abilities. Maybe a root break would be okay? Maybe a 30 second cd in it's current state instead of a 1 minute cd? Maybe the sprint glyph that adds 30% speed can be tied into it?

I know, How about we just get a 30-45 second Heroic Leap baseline. Even crazier, how about we get a 12-20 second charge or a 24 second shadowstep baseline too? Oh and we can throw a 30 second Intervene into the mix and have all those be baseline. All that mobility together would be great. Then we wouldn't have to choose just one mobility talent and we'd actually be able to stick onto mages for 1.5 seconds before we die instead of 0 seconds, unless you take shuriken toss I guess. In that case you may get mild damage in from range before you die in a Deep Freeze in under 5 seconds. Ha! Oh, and go ahead and throw in a 30 second fear break so we don't have to be feared into Africa as often with no mobility to get back onto our now very distant target.
Honestly, anyone who thinks rogues are fine have not played against skilled players. Its is 100% easy to lock down a rogue when he is using shadow dance or shadow blades.

Half the time in PvP I am cc'd the second I use either of those skills.
Honestly, anyone who thinks rogues are fine have not played against skilled players. Its is 100% easy to lock down a rogue when he is using shadow dance or shadow blades.

Half the time in PvP I am cc'd the second I use either of those skills.

I know it sucks :( they should probably let rogues be invisible for dance so we can't get shut down. ever.
That is very true Gankhard. In case some of the on-lookers from other classes are paying attention, let me give you a little information. Something as simple as a root can shut down a Shadow Dance + Cloak and Dagger Combination, or make the rogue have to blow major cooldowns (e.g. Vanish, Trinket, Cloak of Shadows) to continue with it until of course you shut it down again. It's only an 8 second window and so any disruption to it has major consequences to the rogue. The second the rogue has a blue smoke shadow looking thing around him/her just cc the rogue and it's gg. Also, after that rogue mobility will consist of the rogue pressing W (forward) and running at you with a 50% snare most of the time. Not hard to kyte! They will also have decreased damage once Find Weakness falls off and so even if they were to catch you, they tend to hit like wet noodles at that point. Rogues pay for it big time, especially if they go with a Marked for Death Spec and have no range. Some rogues put all their eggs into one basket with their talents and when it fails we are often sitting ducks. So whether you are an undergeared random bg'er or a high level arena player, just cc the rogue during a dance when possible and your chances for success will be greatly increased.
05/03/2013 11:44 PMPosted by Nanaya

I agree, but I think we have different ideas as to what the problem is.
Hell mate I am just going to stop playing wow along with all my buds, seems they had the right idea. They should have some real devs play pvp in the current form in all brackets of arenas just to 'see' what they are missing.
05/03/2013 11:28 PMPosted by Akumati
And all we get are Nerfs. When was the last time we've seen some sort of amazing buff that helps us with our killing power?

Have you been asleep since Vanilla to Cataclysm?
I dunno, I remember the irrelevance of when MoP first came out, they really sort of just phoned us in.

They made us pick our old skills as talents and gave us very little that was new. Our energy system is antiquated and we are forced to burn energy and combo points just to ramp up our energy regen and damage to the point where it isn't laughable.

They give us a ranged attack instead of mobility, and when they do give us mobility, they take it away and make our range attack less useful and if you are in Shadowdance with CnD as a talent.....good luck hitting anyone.

They set our pvp gear with the next patch to be worthless anywhere else than in a pvp instance and even then its only beneficial because of pvp power, in world pvp if that even exists anymore our pvp gear is totally gimped.

They are shaving the durations off of our CC opener glyphs and reducing the effectiveness of FW to lower our burst which right now is what I would call adequate, not op.

But, no matter how hard they screw my class over I will still only play a rogue. I will continue to play my rogue and try to find a way to make it work until i am no longer enjoying myself and then I will go on my merry way without another stupid QQ i'm leaving thread.

It is what it is, they are trying to do something here, I can't really figure out what it is, but they are trying to do something, which is more than I can say for other places I have spent my money.

so W/E......lets just see what they are thinking will happen and if it is as horrible as it sort of sounds on paper.....then one day we may just realize that it is not very much fun to play WoW anymore. I'm pretty sure they are under some pressure to retain players, so lets I guess just see how it all goes down.
A challenge is a good thing. I love rogues because no matter what, they allow me to test my skill both in PvE and PvP.

I could easily roll a monk or a warrior and tackle an entire mob, but there's a beauty to systematically picking them off, ticking off CC's, and creating in the moment strategies. That's what the rogue is about.
Yeah, I was trying to explain to my the DKs and other dps on my rbg team that rogues don't really have a pvp "rotation" because you are constantly having to adapt to all sorts of unforeseen things.

They didn't quite get it. I think they have the benefit of being able to set about a rotation and actually being able to get through it. :)
Yeah, I was trying to explain to my the DKs and other dps on my rbg team that rogues don't really have a pvp "rotation" because you are constantly having to adapt to all sorts of unforeseen things.

They didn't quite get it. I think they have the benefit of being able to set about a rotation and actually being able to get through it. :)

This.

The problems with rogues is we essentially have small windows where we're ridiculously OP, and then the rest of the time we're kind of just "meh".

Not only that, but actually using our burst to it's maximum efficiency actually requires some skill(somewhat toned down from CnD), while other classes just burst burst burst pressing two buttons.

Then most of those classes also have great sustained damage outside of their burst(looking at you hunters and DKs specifically), while rogues spend most of their time outside of burst getting laughed at trying to keep up recup, rupture, snd, and getting KS off.