1.3 MILLION subscribers lost

General Discussion
1 2 3 176 Next
Highly Rated
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/activision-blizzard-announces-better-than-expected-first-quarter-2013-financial-results-2013-05-08

The lead designers' wisdom is clearly in question now.

One observation I'd like to make, is the genius behind Ghostcrawler's own observation that wow is weak as a solo-player game, while putting out a ton of solo-player daily quest content.
GJ :)
I approve of this post.
Highly Rated
Oh no, there's only eight million of us left.
"As of March 31, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with 8.3 million subscribers.(2)"

Holy moly, I knew this game was losing a lot of subs, but I didn't think it was this drastic in such a short period of time.
Not to white knight Blizzard necessarily, but I am wondering how much of it is just the fact that MMOs, and pay-to-play MMOs in particular, are going the way of the dinosaur.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/activision-blizzard-announces-better-than-expected-first-quarter-2013-financial-results-2013-05-08

The lead designers' wisdom is clearly in question now.

One observation I'd like to make, is the genius behind Ghostcrawler's own observation that wow is weak as a solo-player game, while putting out a ton of solo-player daily quest content.
GJ :)

Wow. Also from that number, that leaves Blizzard with 8.3 million subscribers. Lowest it's been since before the surge in BC.
So, WoW lost more subscribers than the next big MMO, and it's still number 1.

Well, the sky is falling, bring out your umbrellas.

Time to unsubscribe.
Oh no they lost subscribers even though they are still number 1! We'd better get ready for the game to die....
At this point, I think WoW losing subs has more to do with the fact that the game has been out for so long. I think Pandaria was a great expansion. It's not perfect, but that's the beauty of choosing not to do things that you don't like.

-- As of March 31, 2013, Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft remains the #1 subscription-based MMORPG, with 8.3 million subscribers.(2)

For the quarter ended March 31, 2013, Activision Blizzard's GAAP net revenues were $1.32 billion, as compared with $1.17 billion for the first quarter of 2012

truly dismal haha
8 years and still 8 million + strong?

I'd say they're still doing just fine.
If Blizz doesn't get its head out of its !@#$, it will be down to 6million within the next 6 financial quarters.

and STILL on top.

People need to stop headhunting Blizz and understand that this format is disappearing..nothing to do with Blizz.
Ever heard of death by a thousand cuts???

That's actually more of 'death by cutting large chunks off you'
Highly Rated
If they don't somehow merge servers so that populations are high, people will continue to leave.