Varian Needs a Queen

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
05/13/2013 10:09 AMPosted by Grimauna
What? You want him to be the Lich Prince?/pass

Sure, but like I said, I don't care if he's totally opposed to Sylvanas at all times. I just want to see Stormwind's succession thrown into a huge knot, and for the Alliance to renounce claims on Lordaeron.

If Anduin has to die and be reanimated, that's a small bonus to receive.

But no, I don't think every character in WoW has to be matched up with someone. If whoever it is is already in game, it's going to be out of character for them. If they make someone new, it's Aggra all over again. Either way, bad idea.

See, what's funny, I think... is that an undead Anduin would have a stronger claim to Lordaeron, since it is also full of undead. Human undead. Currently ruled by an insane elf.

If anything, all you're doing is giving the Forsaken more options than their current ... single option.

As for Stormwind, maybe Anduin turning undead and Varian kicking himself to death for his lawful stupidity will prompt a French Revolution that will give Alliance a kick !@# Empire/Republic. That's what I'd love to see. Throw out all this faux pseudo-medieval bull$%^- and give us a renaissance or steampunk-enlightenment-victorian age faction. Maybe something new would finally get the devs energized enough to want to write Ally.
See, what's funny, I think... is that an undead Anduin would have a stronger claim to Lordaeron, since it is also full of undead. Human undead. Currently ruled by an insane elf.

If anything, all you're doing is giving the Forsaken more options than their current ... single option.

Potentially. I don't know where the Stormwind Royal family line has a claim to the Lordaeron throne, but I'm willing to bet that, like Europe, most monarchial families are related enough to have some claims to other lands.

Kinda wish Galen Trollbane hadn't relinquished his claim to Stromgarde. There was an idea floating around on the forums a while ago about having an independent kingdom jointly ruled by Danath and Galen, open to living and dead.
If they were going to give Varian a Queen I would have expected Jaina Proudmoore. However she is now with Kalecgos. So I cant see any other candidate for Queen of Stormwind unless they make someone up.
I would rather Anduin stay alive, thanks. I like him. And the fact that they're willing to let him eat consequences for his heroism means I'll keep liking him as long as he doesn't become not-green Jesus.
Still a farm girl. Not really real nobility.

I didn't see any noble house in westfall, did you? She's from westfall, a farm girl. Her daddy might have been rich enough to afford nobility but she is still from westfall.

Also in Tides of Darkness book , Stormwind original house of nobles were completely killed. From the cdev answer, Tiffin was a Stormwind kingdom native.
Word-for-word from the CDev answer:
"Tiffin Wrynn was originally Tiffin Ellerian of the Ellerian noble family of Stormwind, a small house that only had a small chunk of land in Westfall. Her marriage to Varian was pre-arranged at her birth, finally securing her family a spot on the Stormwind House of Nobles."

sounds like a farm girl to me, no of jaina caliber, in Varian case, he married down.
Honestly I would generally love to see more stuff about Stormwind's political system/house of nobles.

People keep complaining that we get too much human lore, but we don't. It's just that most of the story progression see has humans everywhere.

We almost never get lore on their culture. Instead we get stupid Harrison Jones/Rambo stuff.

I mean hell, WARCRAFT HAD SEVEN KINGDOMS BEFORE GAME OF THRONES WAS EVEN PUBLISHED!

We could totally be having stories about noble houses now. Even with most of the seven kingdoms destroyed, all the remnants are in Stormwind and yet we seldom hear anything about the nobility or noble lineages.

Westfall was one of my favourite zones in both vanilla and Cataclysm. I want more of it, dammit.
Oh, right...Varian's wife.

I was kind of hoping Jaina would end up being that. Turns out she's into bestiality.

And I hope that word isn't censored because that's exactly what it is.

You see, I don't want Blizzard to make another Aggra and just have a girl appear out of nowhere. I want there to be a significant character development that leads to it.

Like say, put a female character in(maybe one who is with Turalyon's army?), and maybe hint to us players ahead of time that she will be Varian's wife. But have her story that leads to the wedding take place over the course of a couple of expansions.
I mean hell, WARCRAFT HAD SEVEN KINGDOMS BEFORE GAME OF THRONES WAS EVEN PUBLISHED!

The Song of Ice and Fire series has been going on since the late 80's early 90's, I think.

So this may not be entirely accurate.
I was kind of hoping Jaina would end up being that. Turns out she's into bestiality.

I don't think that's the correct usage of that word. Whatsoever.
The Song of Ice and Fire series has been going on since the late 80's early 90's, I think.

So this may not be entirely accurate.

WCII: Published 1995

GoT: Published 1996

George Martin was still somewhat of an unknown in the 80s. Though I know he did publish one novel, Fevre Dream, which is considered one of the better vampire books out there(and it is pretty decent).

I'm guessing both Metzen and Martin got the idea of 7 kingdoms from European History somewhere, but I have no idea where. But still, it's SUCH a missed opportunity that Blizzard made the Alliance the "Medieval Knight" faction and they don't explore the totally awesome themes that can come with it.

Especially in a game about war. God, I still get all tingly inside when I think about how awesome Final Fantasy Tactics was.

I don't think that's the correct usage of that word. Whatsoever.

Sexual relations with a Dragon is, indeed, bestiality.

It is also really dangerous.
Sexual relations with a Dragon is, indeed, bestiality.

It is also really dangerous.

I wouldn't exactly describe Kalec as a "beast".

And, to be frank, I kinda doubt that they're going to !@#$ in Dragon form.
Yet thrall and Jiana was unacceptable...
Moira
I'll add that I also thought - prior to the Kalecgos thing - that Jaina was being groomed for Queendom.

I mean, it could have been a neat Aragorn/Castile or United Kingdom deal.

You could have even retained their rather different views on the war with the destruction of Theramore. It could have been a bit like Queen Victoria and Prince Albert (the Prince Consort) with Varian being the softer side of things (ironically) while Jaina was the hardliner or even the militarist. Or, for a more extreme historical allegory, Catherine the Great. (since bestiality is being talked about, lolz)

That's how I would've ran with it.
Jaina and Kalecgos... just seems kind of pointless. I can't even chalk it up to Knaak's dragon fetish. It just seems like a narrative dead end. It doesn't give us anything of use in the game (and if it isn't of use for the game, then what's the point? This is a game franchise). Jaina may as well have married a sky faerie or a handsome demon from the Burning Legion. Actually, no, that could be more relevant to the future story than Kalecgos.

Its like if, in the HALO books, John-112 has steamy romance with some random woman. Or random dude. And it is never relevant. I mean, we don't even see any integration between the Blue Flight and Dalaran. There's excuses for that, but practically, it was a pointless addition to the lore that doesn't give us - the players - anything of note.

So why do it?

Anyway...

I guess there's always the ever elusive Calia Menethil...?
Lor themar could be that queen....
LMAO
But I think he will marry with Rommath.

I'm guessing both Metzen and Martin got the idea of 7 kingdoms from European History somewhere, but I have no idea where. But still, it's SUCH a missed opportunity that Blizzard made the Alliance the "Medieval Knight" faction and they don't explore the totally awesome themes that can come with it.

Especially in a game about war. God, I still get all tingly inside when I think about how awesome Final Fantasy Tactics was.

Martin got the idea from "the war of the roses" which was a english war that took place in the 15th century i believe, in which many families fought for control of england. (im referencing solely from memory so i could be wrong)

game of thrones got kinda annoying to me pretty quickly. anything that happens is front page news on ign, and everyone on TWC has a "house arryn" or "house tully" signature in their forum posts. but whatever, its still an interesting series.

and i agree with you that i wish blizz would go more in depth about stormwind's government and culture. maybe not in game to avoid the horde fan boys "no more ally lore bro!". but possibly in a book or some other.

to stay on topic i would say give varian a queen. from a historical point its customary to get remarried and varian wouldnt be lonely. Not to mention king and queen just sounds correct. just king and son is a little depressing
05/13/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Crappytank
Still a farm girl. Not really real nobility.

This is why no one takes you seriously.

Half the time you just make up BS about the lore and then when someone calls you on it with actual proof you just continue spouting said BS.

not in game to avoid the horde fan boys "no more ally lore bro!". but possibly in a book or some other.

Did I step into bizzaro land or something?

Most Alliance lore is already confined to novels and you're claiming they have so much in game that Horde would have a right to get in a tizzy over more?
Martin got the idea from "the war of the roses" which was a english war that took place in the 15th century i believe, in which many families fought for control of england. (im referencing solely from memory so i could be wrong)

I see. Thanks.

05/13/2013 12:16 PMPosted by Aerecles
game of thrones got kinda annoying to me pretty quickly. anything that happens is front page news on ign, and everyone on TWC has a "house arryn" or "house tully" signature in their forum posts. but whatever, its still an interesting series.

I was pretty lucky. I didn't start reading the books until about a year and a half before the HBO series came out. So I didn't have to wait 5 years between the last two book releases, AND I still got to enjoy everything in the TV series because the books were fresh enough in my mind to notice what the writers changed from the book to the show.

The books have a lot more detail in them and to be honest a lot of it went over my head on the first read through. Martin just throws a ton of stuff at you. And it's nothing for a character to start going off and telling you about history from his/her perspective even in a casual conversation. I went through the entire first book not even registering the importance of Theon Greyjoy or his Kingdom, only to realize he was a main character in the second book.

So I've read the books and enjoy the TV show. Best of both worlds, really.

to stay on topic i would say give varian a queen. from a historical point its customary to get remarried and varian wouldnt be lonely. Not to mention king and queen just sounds correct. just king and son is a little depressing

It might end up being a thing where instead Blizzard decides to get a girl for Anduin but leaves Varian as a sort of weathered Warrior King(Warcraft's very own Jim Raynor! THE COWBOY KING!).
Varian is a strong independent chin man. He don't need no woman.