53 lesser charms in 6+ hours??

Pet Battles
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
I used to do tons of battles against wild pets mainly to get some lesser charms. I do not like dailies, and I don't think I ever will. Just a couple of minutes ago I was leveling a pet. My pet went from level 1 to level 17 but I only got 3 lesser charms from all the battles I have done. Total time consumed, I don't know maybe 30 minutes... for 3 lesser charms? Why Blizzard, why?
I used to do tons of battles against wild pets mainly to get some lesser charms. I do not like dailies, and I don't think I ever will. Just a couple of minutes ago I was leveling a pet. My pet went from level 1 to level 17 but I only got 3 lesser charms from all the battles I have done. Total time consumed, I don't know maybe 30 minutes... for 3 lesser charms? Why Blizzard, why?

Because looks like daily quests is an idée fixe for some of Blizzard's top managers. If you need lesser charms you must do daily quests even if you hate them.
I want them to give us the option of spending them on Elder Charms like we used to. It's freakin' backwards that the charms for the old raids (that only undergeared people need to run anymore) are now only available on the newest daily hub (that is tedious at best and nightmarish at worst for undergeared people).

Which is why I spend no time on my max toon anymore!
Because looks like daily quests is an idée fixe for some of Blizzard's top managers. If you need lesser charms you must do daily quests even if you hate them.

Max level pet battle still drop plenty of lessers. And they are adding in lvl 90+ wild mobs dropping them in 5.3. So you really have no point.
05/14/2013 11:10 AMPosted by Calonderiel
OP said nothing about level of his/her pets.

True, but the droprate they're reporting is inconsistent with what everyone else observes fighting pets above level 5. Thus, everyone suspects that they're fighting extremely low level pets, whose lesser charm drop rates were severely nerfed. (They used to be kind of ridiculously high given the shortness of the battles.)

If they OP takes their team to any expansion zone and battles for 6 hours, not only will they see far more lesser charms than that, but they'll probably level at least a few pets to 25, too.

When the OP posted I took a look at the pet stable and highest level pet was 17.

When I'm fighting Beasts of Fables and grand master trainers I'm averaging a few lessers per fight (sometimes I get none, sometimes I get 6). Say you do 15 fights (I usually can't stand to do them all each day), and you need 90 / week (soon to be 50) to complete the turn-in. So the drop rate seems well tuned to me.
soon to be 50

Been 50 for a few weeks already.
Weird, didn't notice that. I guess that's what happens when you're swimming in charms, you just don't even look at the the turn-in anymore.
I just wish there was more to do with these lesser charms. I'm practically swimming in 'em.

This is what I want... Even if it was a conversion to valor points at 250 to 1, that would be something.

I get 2-6 per battle in Pandaria.
05/15/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Hearus

Max level pet battle still drop plenty of lessers. And they are adding in lvl 90+ wild mobs dropping them in 5.3. So you really have no point.

1. One set of quests on an isle give us (and it's guarantee) 30 lesser charms in ~ 30 min or 19 lesser charms in ~15-20 min. Lesser charms drop from Pet battles (PvE, PvP otr Pet Battles quests) are not guarantee and you must be a lucky person if you want to tell us that it's much faster then from daily quests.

2. We are not in 5.3 yet.

3. If you have a point be ready to say something more useful then you usually do. For example, statistic info about drop rating of lesser charms from "Max level pet battle" could be much more interesting than you sentence "still drop plenty of lessers".
The point of there being lesser charms as a pet battle reward is that it's an option. It's once of several options. If you are not content with the option, you have others. Soon to be even more when the patch launches.

When I level pets in Pandaria I regularly get 3-6 charms after each battle. I don't even need them anymore, I'm swimming in them. I don't do dailies, either, and I still have enough every week for my charm turn in.

If the only area they nerfed the charm drops was for low level pet battles, I'm not concerned at all. There were people posting here that they were farming level 1 pets with level 6 pets and getting a steady/constant supply of charms. Getting charms from pet battles is definitely meant to be an option compared to getting them from dailies, but that doesn't mean it should completely remove any modicum of effort from getting them.

And if you're not having good luck getting charms from higher level pets in Pandaria, sorry for your bad luck. I have so many charms I could pull a Scrooge McDuck and swim in them.
3. If you have a point be ready to say something more useful then you usually do. For example, statistic info about drop rating of lesser charms from "Max level pet battle" could be much more interesting than you sentence "still drop plenty of lessers".

Says the person who said dailies are the only way to get lessers. Which is wrong now and will be more wrong soon, How was that useful. Or is lying about devs useful in some way I am unaware of.
Just now, on a different toon. 20 battles against wild pets in Kun-Lai Summit. 44 minutes total. The data below shows how many charms I got from each battle.

Battle 1 - 0
Battle 2 - 0
Battle 3 - 0
Battle 4 - 0
Battle 5 - 0
Battle 6 - 2
Battle 7 - 0
Battle 8 - 0
Battle 9 - 0
Battle 10 - 4
Battle 11 - 0
Battle 12 - 0
Battle 13 - 0
Battle 14 - 6
Battle 15 - 0
Battle 16 - 0
Battle 17 - 5
Battle 18 - 0
Battle 19 - 0
Battle 20 - 0

17 Lesser Charms of Good Fortune from 20 wild pet battles.

If you want, I can go on and track each battle up to Battle 50 to have a more decent set of data. Post yours too.

*Edited to include data from Battles 11 to 20.
05/15/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Hearus

This ^.
I don't even do dailies for Lesser Charms any more. I wrack up 50+ on each of 3 toons, in under 2 hours doing wild pet battles in Pandaria. I've been doing it either on Monday before reset.

If it's any consolation (for the OP), over the weekend I tested it out for the spouse, who is equally burnt out on dailies...it took me about an hour to get 50 doing wild pet battles in Dustwallow with level appropriate for the zone pets. Still slightly faster than doing dailies.
Just now, on a different toon. 20 battles against wild pets in Kun-Lai Summit. 44 minutes total. The data below shows how many charms I got from each battle.
And yet I snagged 20 in less than 30 minutes, this evening, on my Shaman in Valley.
Part 2:

14 charms in 30 minutes, Kun-Lai Summit
Battle 21 - 0
Battle 22 - 6
Battle 23 - 0
Battle 24 - 0
Battle 25 - 3
Battle 26 - 0
Battle 27 - 0
Battle 28 - 2
Battle 29 - 3
Battle 30 - 0
Battle 31 - 0
Battle 32 - 0

10 charms in 30 minutes, Valley of the Four Winds
Battle 33 - 0 (against Farmer Nishi's pets)
Battle 34 - 4
Battle 35 - 0
Battle 36 - 0
Battle 37 - 0
Battle 38 - 6
Battle 39 - 0
Battle 40 - 0

From the 40 battles I have done, 1 hour and 44 minutes worth I got a total of 41 charms. Prior to 5.2 I got more than double of that figure in the same amount of time. Also the maximum number of charms I have seen dropping for weeks now is 6. Out of the 40 battles, 30 of those battles gave 0 charms. It looks like, from my data alone, the chance for lesser charms to drop is 25%. How many we will get is yet another "dice roll" within that 25% chance.
05/16/2013 07:46 AMPosted by Hearus

Says the person who said dailies are the only way to get lessers. Which is wrong now and will be more wrong soon, How was that useful. Or is lying about devs useful in some way I am unaware of.

1. Your logic is strange. I said "If you need lesser charms you must do daily quests even if you hate them" and it doesn't mean that daily quests is an only source of lesser charms.
2. "... and will be more wrong soon" and again this thread is about current situation on live servers.
3. You can read what I said about lesser charms from daily quests and what Basti said. As you see I was correct that daily quests is a faster method than Pet Battles.

05/16/2013 07:43 AMPosted by Alona
The point of there being lesser charms as a pet battle reward is that it's an option. It's once of several options.

At this moment there are only 2 methods to get lesser charms in general: daily quests (+ 1 weekly quest) and Pet Battles. Nothing else. Not from BG/arena/world pvp, not from raids/dungeons/scenarios, not from professions, not from vendors, not from rare mobs, not from chests etc.
Most of players do not like daily quests. Most of players are not a Pet Battles fans too.
Yes, lesser charms from pet battles is an option and it's better than nothing, but it's not a really good alternative source.
. Your logic is strange. I said "If you need lesser charms you must do daily quests even if you hate them" and it doesn't mean that daily quests is an only source of lesser charms.

What you actually said.

See the must do daily quest part. Must implies the only way.
I am also trying to understand why the drop rate of this item is being nerfed. So what if we get a slightly higher number of charms from pet battles. The only current use for them is for Mogu Runes and we can only trade in 50 a week.
I am also trying to understand why the drop rate of this item is being nerfed. So what if we get a slightly higher number of charms from pet battles. The only current use for them is for Mogu Runes and we can only trade in 50 a week.

Probably because a growing number have multiple thousands of them. I have 2050 currently. I've done the quest every week that I was eligible to do so after turning 90.

I just leveled my second 90 yesterday and she already has 100 charms without doing any dailies.
How did she get 100 charms without doing dailies? From pet battles alone? It will take me hours, maybe 4 hours to get that many charms from pet battles. Even if I switch toons, I see the same results. Why can't we get like a fixed number of charms per battle? Something like 2 per battle won. At least I know that after 25 battles I will have the 50 I need. It will take me almost an hour to do 25 battles anyway which the same amount of time one will need to get that many by doing daily quests. Getting consecutive zero charms from pet battles is annoying.