New class combinations for Tauren and lore

Story Forum
No new race/class combos should be added ever again, save for the introduction of a new class in general.

The lore has been butchered enough for the rule of cool.
Hey, it's creative how they've made things work. I support it, if they are creative.

I vote the Gnome/Goblin druid things gets worked out, because the robotic potential is actually great, and Gnome hunters. Draenei Rogues could work fairly well, too bad you can't be a Broken Draenei. it could be just a different skin of Draenei.

They should do that with Tauren and Taunka and Orcs with Mag'har. and Dwarves with Dark Irons/Wildhammers, to make it fair in terms of equal numbers for each faction.
I'd still be fine with gnome hunters...and I don't' even like gnomes.
grimtotem have tauren rogues.

make it happen blizz.

gnome hunters fit pretty well, gnomes also seem to enjoy making mechanical creatures. just have them start with a robo cat or something.
Well, they could perfectly come from the Grimtotem tribe. Just give them the same treatment that was given to Highborne and Dark Iron. Magda could die or something, then another leader, or Magda herself, would try to get back to Thunder Bluff, mostly because they don't have where to go, not because they agree with their ways. Still, would develop some interesting "conflict" within the Tauren.

As for other combinations, I think we can separate them into 3 groups:

- The ones that doesn't affect lore: like Gnome Hunters or Blood Elf Warriors. They're just too basic and don't really mean much. Gnome Hunters have basis on lore, as snipers without pets, and B-Elf warriors look slightly weird because they're so attuned to magic that makes impossible that one of them wouldn't know how to use some level of magic (which is why I think the Blood Knight fit far better as their Warriors), but still, you got the point.

- The "Sunwalker" type: They were not part of their culture at all, but still, they weren't necessarily considered bad. So, what happened? Lore got developed creating a certain type of belief that supported them, in a different fashion from the typical church like ones from Humans and Dwarves.

- The "Highborne" type: Regardless of what might be, there are things which a faction will shun and others won't. That has to do with their culture. But if there's something both Horde and Alliance have shown is that, with the correct motivation and argument, the leader(s) of these faction(s) can accept what they despise. Be it a Draenei, Tauren or Night Elf Warlock, if there's a reason to do so, they can do so. What also contributes to this line of thinking is that both factions have all classes. Basically, at some level, they must have accepted them, because they fight beside these people and even cheerish, directly or indirectly, on their gains.

So, this whole "lore butchered" is just rubbish. Butchering lore would be to state something, then, without any reason, do the opposite. Or something similar to a retcon.
Tauren and Draenei both should get rogues because in EVERY society, there are those who go against the laws and customs, and would rather make their gains through the hard work of others. The hoof argument doesn't work as there are Grimtotem and satyr rogues. Every race should have rogues.

There are tauren mages in one of the Cata dungeons, which I found interesting.

Gnomes should have hunters. Hunters, again, should be a class every race has. Somebody has to go fetch food and fur for everyone. There are a few quests from gnomes asking for animals such as raptors and eagles so they can have a pet. There is a gnome handling large animals like lions at the Darkmoon Faire. I can see them having arctic foxes as a starting pet.

Gnomes should also have paladins. They are constantly exposed to dwarves and humans, and with them getting priests paladins would make sense too. Gnomes are inquisitive. Surely some would be fascinated with the Light and strive to become paladins.

Blood elf shamans. Just like the Sunwalkers aren't "technically paladins", the belves could be elementalists instead of actual shaman. I just can't see how, especially during Cata, none of the blood elves saw the elementals going out of control and thought about making their power belong to them. The belves LOVE power. Why wouldn't they have tried to bend the elements to their will? If goblins, who don't care about the spirits at all, and the taunka, who force the elements to work for them, have shamans then why not the blood elves?

My biggest issue regarding "lore" as an excuse for giving or not giving a race a class, is that the explanation for orc mages was basically, "I read a book on it." Why do we need a reason for orc mages? We didn't need lore on blood elf warriors, so why give us an in game reason for orc mages? I would've just assumed that they have always been there and now that classes aren't restricted by number, orc mages were simply added. If the "I read a book on it" was used for orc mages, it's hard to not wonder why the other races haven't done the same for the other classes.

"I read a book and studied on this class, and decided I wanted to be one too!"
Lore changes, stories progress. The nature of a character classes is rooted in game mechanics, which we then, inappropriately in my opinion, bind our lore to.

One can create an argument for nearly any race/class combination with a little creativity and imagination. Doing so will actually make some people upset. People are creatures of habit, and we get hide-bound on our expectations at times.

The player characters are "special". We don't follow the rules. We go galavanting around Azeroth doing things nobody else can do, going places nobody else will go. Honestly, I think any race should be able to be any class- with the possible exception of druids, just for the very practical reasons of Blizz having to make a whole slew of beast form models for it.
05/12/2013 06:08 AMPosted by Kailiang
Blood elf shamans. Just like the Sunwalkers aren't "technically paladins", the belves could be elementalists instead of actual shaman.

Same could be applied to Humans. If you take a look at Hyjal and Silithus, there's even a Elementalist Ortell, who was part of the Twilight's Hammer but betrayed them.

Also, Blood Elf druids could fit on the Sunwalkers style as well. For example, Druids aren't necessarily tied to the concept of "fighting for the balance or what is right", similarly to Paladins, you can see Druids doing what they want with the powers they have. So, Blood Elf Druids would be some sort of schoolar that desired to learn about the forces of nature. The objective could be to repair Ghostlands and help maintain Silvermoons "quality of life". Blood Elves don't value the idea of living in the middle of the forest, but they do value it through the idea of a good environment.

Tauren and Draenei both should get rogues because in EVERY society, there are those who go against the laws and customs, and would rather make their gains through the hard work of others. The hoof argument doesn't work as there are Grimtotem and satyr rogues. Every race should have rogues.

And it's not like it's too hard to use boots made for hooves. It's totally nonsense that they prefer walking at bare hoof when they could use something like boots made of Obsidian.

Also, same applies to Warlocks. They mess with dangerous stuff that even the Forsaken would want to keep an eye on them. They're literally the kind of variation we expect on any population. Majority follows the rules and culture. A few think outside the box and seek what they want, not what is demanded from them.

One can create an argument for nearly any race/class combination with a little creativity and imagination. Doing so will actually make some people upset. People are creatures of habit, and we get hide-bound on our expectations at times.

The player characters are "special".

That was my point, too. They can create any kind of background that might reasonably fit on the lore, but it wouldn't necessarily look good. After they have made Night Elf mages and Sunwalkers, there's not really any wall to be broken anymore. It makes far more sense to simply enable the freedom of choice than trying to either to twist or force these forbidden arts to be praticed in the middle of their main city.

As I said, all classes are on both sides. So, unless one class were completely forbidden within the Alliance, our characters shouldn't be shunned for just being one. Which is why I think there shouldn't be classes at low levels. The first 10 or 20 levels should be a "do it all" class, Apprendice. That way, we would find a trainer and become the class we desire, without affecting starting zones and their background.

Hmm... I might make a topic about it.
Draenei not having Rogues and Gnomes not having Hunters both feel like huge misses to me.

Gnomes need a gun-using class. All you'd need to make them work is some scaled-up mecha-cats, mecha-bears, and tamable robot gorillas. Classifying them as beasts is no stranger than classifying blatantly undead animals as beasts.

And turning Draenei into a race violently allergic to Rogues was always silly. If the Broken can teach them Shamanism, they can teach them to be Rogues. Mishka seems to have managed.

The player characters are "special". We don't follow the rules. We go galavanting around Azeroth doing things nobody else can do, going places nobody else will go. Honestly, I think any race should be able to be any class- with the possible exception of druids, just for the very practical reasons of Blizz having to make a whole slew of beast form models for it.

This is just untrue. We follow the footsteps of the iconic Warcraft heroes. We go to places where there's already someone standing around with a gold grammatical mark over his or her head, ready to tell us exactly what needs to be done. We team up with a specific faction to help that faction carry out the goal - and when it's all set and done, the faction and its heroes get credit for the victory.

The player character is meant to be an extension of something that already exists in the world. You are a "Proud Hero of the Alliance", or a "Proud Warrior of the Horde". You are an agent of the Kirin Tor, or a recruit of the Argent Crusade. You are a Dwarven mountaineer, or a Forsaken assassin.

You are not a half-angel-half-centaur, son of Illidan, daughter of Deathwing (it's complicated, okay!?).

We don't exist outside the rules. The rules are the world. The whole point of this game is for us to experience the story of this world - and that means we have to exist in it. Our characters are not outsiders, here to observe the goings on of the Warcraft universe - they are part of it.

Draenei Warlocks aren't running around Azeroth (well, a few are - but we try to kill them when they sneak in here). Night Elves are not taking up the Paladin cause. Humans have no background in Shamanism - and the only group that taught humans that sort of stuff in any real numbers was called the Twilight Hammer.

Before they make any new race/class combo available, they always add a sizable group for that race/class combo to identify as. You don't get to play as something that CAN happen - you get to play as something that happens regularly, in the sort of numbers that would make people of that race and job at least as common a sight as they'll become once it's available to players.
There's no special rules for "the players" that's separate for the rules for NPCs. Heck, we constantly run into NPCs that basically pretend like they're players. They did the things "the players" thought they'd do.

There's three random "Questing players" in Hillsbrad. There's a Death Knight adventurer for the Horde to kill in the Jade Forest. The Council of the Black Harvest are player Warlocks, ex-raiders, who took a long hard look at upcoming buffs to other classes, and decided to make some for their own.

When you meet Wind Commander Mulverik in Outland, he'll talk about how sick he is of people whining in Alterac Valley, sighting several common player complaints.

There's no line between player and not-player. Players are not more special than non-players. Players are not less special than non-players. Players exist in the world, their deeds are noted, and they'll sometimes show up in the story - sometimes even WITH the name of a well known player, specializing in whatever that player was known for (though those characters generally just hang around one spot).

Player race/class combos follow the same rules as the race/class combos available for NPCs. If you can't have multiple NPCs of that race and class show up without needing an elaborate justification for their existence, you can't do that with players, either. Or at least you need to do the explanation first. And after you explain, that race/class combo become a part of the story (like Dezco and his Sunwalkers).
Alliance is short 1 combo overall and the Horde has 4 shaman races while the Alliance has 3 paladin races. Shaman was supposed to be the Horde specific class while Paladin was Alliance's.

Since we need 1 more Paladin race to equal Horde's shamans id say 1 of either Night Elves, Gnomes, or Worgen should be able to be Paladins.

Honestly, lorewise I think any one of those could be done fairly easily without being too ridiculous.
Since we need 1 more Paladin race to equal Horde's shamans id say 1 of either Night Elves, Gnomes, or Worgen should be able to be Paladins.

In vanilla, it was 2 paladins to 3 shaman, then BC made it 3 paladins to 3 shaman. Now we are back to more the vanilla set up with 5 shaman on horde side (orc, troll, tauren, gobblin and pandarin) and 3 shaman on alliance (Draenei, Dwarf and pandaren) to 2 paladin races on horde (Belf and Tauren) and 3 on alliance (Human, Draenei and Dwarf).

Lore wise? sure they could easily add paladins to another alliance race, but balance wise for PvE? Alliance already has 1 more tank then horde because, and get this through your heads, the alliance flavored class (paladin) is a tank/healer/DPS hybrid while the horde flavored one (shaman) is healer/DPS.

Blizzard likely looks at many things when determining class/race combos, including but not limited to:
1) lore-likely less of an issue as they can come up with their own lore to fit the combo
2) PvE balance-does each side have roughly the same amount for key roles? DPS might not be figured too much cause all classes can DPS, tanks are a bit of a lynch-pin but a difference of 1 is easy to over look (alliance has 1 more tank currently) and healers are even across the board, with faction flavor denoting the reason for difference in classes.

I am not fully against Alliance getting another paladin race but I'd prefer to see horde get a faction flavored tank/DPS/(healer) combo first (Monks are equal on both factions, as are Druids, DKs and warriors).