Driving AH prices down...

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 7 Next
05/11/2013 03:18 PMPosted by Superbus
I remember on my Horde toons I was leveling BS and always had a lot of excess stone that I would dump on the AH just to sell. Someone noticed me in Trade and started making fun of me because he was constantly buying out my stone and relisting it higher. Basically we had a healthy wholesaler/retailer relationship that was mutually beneficial and instead of thanking me or trying to prolong it, or at the least keeping his mouth shut, he chose to tip me off instead.

yeah, because there is tremendous profit to be made in stone. :rolls eyes

It doesn't matter if he is making 1g or 1000g, if you have a good thing going, why mess with it? It could have been ore, herbs, leather or anything, I was selling at what I felt was a reasonable price since it was throwaway items as far as I was concerned, and he was making out by buying and listing them at a higher price.
Ha, so many people in this thread explain why I am WoW rich. I guess the people who stand in fire also post on the AH.

Frankly to most people the gold doesn't matter. If this was the real stock market or commodities market and people were playing for real stakes and you did just as well, then that might be something. But being able to accumulate a virtual currency that doesn't really matter is not exactly the working of Warren Buffet.
Anyone else enjoy driving AH prices down by posting dozens of items (gems, inscriptions, ore, herbs, etc) 5-10 gold below the current market value?

Someone on my server will buy up all the available gems (selling for 25 to 50 gold each) and then repost them all for 250 gold each... since they "cornered" the market, they are giddy with the thought of pulling in a 300-400% profit...

Then I come along and repost another 20 or 30 gems for 200g each...

None of our gems sell over the 48 hours, but others post similar gems for way less and someone else beats their price and so on and so on until the price again hovers around 25-50g each)... at which point I post three or four at that price and sell them until some one else comes along and buys them all out again... at which point I repeat the process...

Its like a mini game and I really really enjoy it. Anyone else?

I rarely buy from the AH..I have toons to make my inscriptions. Alcchemy. jewelcrafting and tailoring..In fact I have made 15 royal satchels and spent 0 gold on them..
In my opinion, people who under cut save and promote good healthy economy. They allow the consumer to get good deals (the market should favor the consumer, not the business owner) and if people undercut others, more people get richer faster.

Basically when you under cut someone, and your product sells, you get richer. Because you made money. Rich players only stay rich by freezing the price to what they want, and they try to monopolize the market. But under cutters make it cheaper for consumers to get better deals, and allow smaller businesses, and smaller profession people to get rich and climb the money ladder.
Meh, I was responding more to how that person phrased things. I'm actually patient. I will buy out your underpriced goods (because I can afford to do so) and wait a week or two, reset prices to normal and go on about my business with consistant prices. You'll be out of stock and I'll be sitting on things that are below my cost to make.

I've been flipping 70s Hypnotic Dust for 17g each. Profit is the reward for patience.

I have farmers that supply me which means that I can usually afford to sell my goods for far less than you can and still make a tidy profit. The most important part of being a baron are these two things:

1. Time is money friend.
2. Margins.

If you understand how important those two things are to the gold mini-game, it's easy to earn millions.

Funny you mention hypnotic dust..I saw it at 15 gold each in my AH and I needed about 120 or so to level my enchanting..I also need about 300 of them so my tailor could make bags...overall you know how much gold I spent? 0 gold as I just uses all of my unused justice and honor points (100 for each dust) so I made 80 per toon and 8 toons I had 640 and need only about 420-450..I sold the remaining excess for 10 gold each and now have over 1000 JP on each toon again..
I don't mind if something is undercut by a few gold.

But when you have people taking full stacks of something and listing a TON for dirt cheep....that's when I get mad. Example. Ghost Iron Ore did good for a little while, about 75-80g a stack. I'd always list mine for just a couple of gold under. Then some jerk came in and posted a ton of ore stacks for 25g. They wouldn't stop trolling trade because of it, either. ._.

But when you have people taking full stacks of something and listing a TON for dirt cheep....that's when I get mad. Example. Ghost Iron Ore did good for a little while, about 75-80g a stack. I'd always list mine for just a couple of gold under. Then some jerk came in and posted a ton of ore stacks for 25g. They wouldn't stop trolling trade because of it, either. ._.

well they "worked" for it. It's kind of how mexicans are welling to work for far less, then what the minimum wage in america is.

I think farming ghost iron ore is pretty easy, just use gatherer and score jade forest.

Now if your mad, that he is taking your "hard earned work" and cheating you out by selling "his hard earned work" for less, well i can agree with you. But still it's a good deal for the buyer / consumer.

The market is unstable and tends to favor what someone is willing to work for.
I had a guy the other week say and whispering me about undercutting me and laughing as I was buying all his gems up and stuff...was not bothering about putting them back in. He was so worried about been the cheapest on ah and laughing as I spent my gold buying his stuff the he did not realise till the end after I told him and thanking him for the gold.....???? I got
I could sell the mats he put in to the vendor and made a little profit, not only did I wipe out most of his mats I also sold them to vendor and made gold. He has not talked to me since :(
Anyone else enjoy driving AH prices down by posting dozens of items (gems, inscriptions, ore, herbs, etc) 5-10 gold below the current market value?

Someone on my server will buy up all the available gems (selling for 25 to 50 gold each) and then repost them all for 250 gold each... since they "cornered" the market, they are giddy with the thought of pulling in a 300-400% profit...

None of our gems sell over the 48 hours, but others post similar gems for way less and someone else beats their price and so on and so on until the price again hovers around 25-50g each)... at which point I post three or four at that price and sell them until some one else comes along and buys them all out again... at which point I repeat the process...

Its like a mini game and I really really enjoy it. Anyone else?

Cool story.
05/08/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Jathaz

That's the reason for the extremely high mark ups.

You may think yourself exceedingly clever or witty for undercutting AH powerusers, but these people know what they're doing, and your little stunts are things that occur all the time, and are factored for accordingly. In addition to having dozens, if not hundreds of irons in the fire, they've also got the capital to beat you in the long run every time.

+1

Let me get this straight, You know ore sells for 75g regularly, and some bozo comes in and posts 'a ton' for 25g, and you get mad?

Why didnt you buy and grab a quick 50g per stack?
I always loved when I went to Ah something and I simply wanted to sell it for a quick turn around. I put the price plenty low... the people who posted higher will whisper me and berate me for doing so. Its kinda humorous.

Omg lol! Screen capture it please lol!
I'm not much of an auction house player. But, if someone moves in on what I prefer to sell, I just stop listing it till the auction house barons sort it out and move the price back to a stable amount. I'm pretty sure that games like you are playing hurt middle ground players like me, much more than they do the Barons.
i thought this was against the rules? Anyway, if I had money I would probably do the same!
I haven't been angrily whispered about auctions in years. Never been too good at playing the AH though. Only time I wrecked a market was with bullets/arrows in LK. Being one of the few people on the server who could initially make them allowed me to jack it up in the short time frame before everyone and their uncle had the recipe and the market crashed all on its own.
I once spent two weeks deliberately driving down the price of living steel. Managed to get it down to half what it started at

I had to add a few names to my ignore list.

some people were very very unhappy with me
I have a every profession on different toons. When i see AH prices jacked way up, Ill farm for a week and flood the AH with gear,gems, ect ect. at half the price useally listed and post hundereds. My way of fighting boredom and inflation at the same time. and I make a killing!
Please do sell at 1/2 price so I can flip it and make a profit. LMAO.

Sure feel free... you'll be stuck with a lot of stuff you can't sell for a profit... that's what Ive been trying to explain... my goal is to constantly flood the market with my competing products... you keep buying my 50g gems, and i'll keep posting 50g gems until you have bought hundreds of mine... i'll keep posting em, you keep buying them... win/win!