Stop giving your Pandaren Japanese names

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
And I'll name one Natasha so we can try to thwart that moose and squirrel.

You.

You I like.
Que?
I still love you, OP.
The architecture looks like a blend of Chinese, Japanese, and some Aztec / Mayan thrown in. In the areas of Zandalari influence, a chapter in Pandaria's past, I can understand the mix of architecture from the Americas, but overall it looks like the artists didn't quite get the difference and just blended it all together. That's about like telling all asians they look alike.

Actually, the name Hyjal is reminiscent of the Nordic language with the Tree of Life and such. The name Hyjal is pronounced in game as "Hi Jall". Makes me cringe every time I hear it. It's like people saying Fjord as "Fa Jord" instead of "fee yord" as it should be.

Overall, it shows that most of the World of Warcraft looks to have been developed by teenagers with no real understanding of the world around them beyond misogynistic images of mostly naked women in anime, constant references to getting drunk at every opportunity, and as many jokes about fecal matter as possible.
There is nothing Japanese about Pandaria. If anything it's Chinese. Kthx

I suspect people should feel free to choose any name they desire for their toons as long as it doesn't break the naming rules.

Mine pandaren monks name does break the naming rules, but I really don't care. It's also not Japanese or from any Asian culture. Apparently it's Hebrew.
ChingChongChang.

Though my panda is called Furrybait. But it's tempting to make one/remake her to the name ChingChongChang.
ChingChongChang.

Though my panda is called Furrybait. But it's tempting to make one/remake her to the name ChingChongChang.

Ya, pretty sure this would be reported within hours and forced name change even quicker. Possibly even short ban to go along with it.
The architecture looks like a blend of Chinese, Japanese, and some Aztec / Mayan thrown in. In the areas of Zandalari influence, a chapter in Pandaria's past, I can understand the mix of architecture from the Americas, but overall it looks like the artists didn't quite get the difference and just blended it all together. That's about like telling all asians they look alike.

I would argue that it is purposeful, not that they just went "it looks asian, use it!" I don't see the aztec things elsewhere, myself.

While Pandaren themselves are based on the Chinese, there are other asian influences present. Yaungol are clearly reminiscent of the Mongols. The grummles, the sherpa people of Nepal. I recall reading a rather detailed analysis of how the Mogu and Pandaren themselves are pretty similar to two different eras in Chinese history.

So, I would contest that Blizzard did, in fact, do some work.

edit: Oh, and a lot of Japanese architecture was influenced by China, so of course there'd be some similarities.
I have a newbie Pandaren mage named Tianlong or "heaven dragon" in Mandarin.
My mom named her panda monk Tungmei.
I'll name my panda whatever I please.
My husband named his belf monk Nappa.

Does that count?
My name is Polynesian and I'm a race that's based off of Aztecs and Jamaicans. :(
Guilty as charged. :3

To be fair though, the back story behind this name does have some Chinese influences!
ChingChongChang.

Ya, pretty sure this would be reported within hours and forced name change even quicker. Possibly even short ban to go along with it.

One would hope, but blizz wouldn't do anything about it.
I am immigrant! Adopt pretty name. Comfortable.
There is nothing Japanese about Pandaria. If anything it's Chinese. Kthx

Pandaria is the closest thing we will get to japanese culture in WoW. Also, you could say that the Wandering Isle is the Japan to Pandaria's China.