I want more paladin in my class!

Paladin
"wings" and Guardian of Ancient Kings are pretty cool though.

I kind of wish Judgement was a little flashier.
05/15/2013 07:10 AMPosted by Kaeldanon
BC pallys sucked at everything minus heals. Enjoy the changes
Class utility isn't everything in a game. There's also a little thing called flavor, that every game designer will recognize as key to get gamer engagement.

A little example. There's a game named Darksiders, which is basically a Legend of Zelda clone. You have a sword, a blocking device (a giant gauntlet) and you explore around as you move through the story. But this story is different enough to be engaging, and the game mechanics (like jumping, swimming at one own's content, and the timing related attacks that makes devastating combos) make it unique. And the blood. It's pretty satisfying to see a demon turn into a gooey fountain of blood while you lay the smack down to it.

you want flavor hows about you go all the way back to vanilla where pallys were a extreme need to really like the class type class.

they totally sucked back then with the way the seals worked. i think people just want to be put at a point where they think pallys where good. only problem is they were great in wotlk cause it was all about pallys and death knights.

who is best against undead yep pallys. what blizzard needs to do is not bring back bc cause it will never happen. but more to the point they need to bring back in depth class quests. turns out every class quest is pretty much the same. who knew. its lame how blizzard is just standardizing every class. soon a pally will be no different from a warrior.
At least you jerks aren't forced to go Holy, spamming low ranking FoL's all day!
Paladin=America
05/16/2013 06:34 AMPosted by Aeremis
"wings" and Guardian of Ancient Kings are pretty cool though.

Totally with you on "wings". I remember vividly when I first activated that feature. Call me what you will, but I busted those wings every time I could for a long time. Must have looked strange, on reflection, but heck they felt good.

At least you jerks aren't forced to go Holy, spamming low ranking FoL's all day!

The point is that the class should feel like a paladin, not about the power level of our class. Blizzard made us OP for an entire expansion in return for BC, and we still felt like paladins. Ever heard the expression,

"It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game"

Paladin is how I play the game. Whether I win or lose is secondary.
Paladin is how I play the game. Whether I win or lose is secondary.

Yeah. Through gameplay.

Where a Death Knight will kite a warrior to stop it from killing your mage, you would defend the mage with Hand of Freedom and other defensive utility abilities.

You shoot out holy fire from your hand and wield a big sword. What more do you want? You're on fire, lady.
I understand ya. I leveled this toon in BC and I did my quests to get my Mounts. I did Pally quests for miscellaneous rewards such as my Blood Knight tabard. It was fun. These aren't the only quests that are gone either. I leveled my Pally alongside my friends Shammy. He had a quest for every single elemental totem that was rather involved and felt Shaman-y. Now, Totems are just 20secs buffs that go away. I for one miss my Totem fortress and seeing them in raids. It was a good raid marker to say, "On this phase, stack on totems here".

I mean, even Warriors had quests for their individual stances and Rogues quested for their poisons and such. Yea, some of the quests were a pain in the keister, but they brought the class a story. You weren't just a button masher that got more buttons automatically every few levels. You were your class. You invested time in it and got some understanding and backstory out of what it means to be your class.

I understand dumbing the game down so that "Anyone can play it" and Blizz can pick up subscribers as often as possible, but when is it to much?
You hung onto the fist? I wished I would have. I have the commanding mallet wich looks like it but its not the same
05/15/2013 11:24 PMPosted by Aeravin
I truly truly miss are Auras
yeah i like auras too. active ability as compared to on cd or spammable.

05/15/2013 10:26 AMPosted by Supertom
they should create a spellpower/crit blessing, perhaps call it blessing of wisdom or something.
yeah spellpower crit haste or primary resource regen..

05/14/2013 11:24 PMPosted by Ravicana
In MoP, we're protecting a land from its infestation of ageless, unkillable abominations that feed on fear and despair, while also trying to check the aggression of more than one would-be conqueror. It's not tailor-made to Paladins like WotLK was, but I haven't felt particularly out of place :)

05/14/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Ravicana
Do I still wear heavy armor, fight in melee, wield Light-based powers of healing and smiting, and place a large emphasis on protecting allies? If yes, I'm a Paladin; the rest is just details.

05/15/2013 08:21 AMPosted by Aeremis
I enjoy the class and I get a feel for being the benevolent protector.
I'm a holy paladin and I support the above quotes.

If I could edit or create one spell, make one simple change, to represent the spirit of a Holy paladin, I would remove the cooldown from Hand of Sacrifice, but maybe make it cost Holy Power. There are probably several changes I'd make if it were all up to me, but I'm actually pretty happy. I liked the best of both Wrath and Mists. I was a leveling noob during BC so can't comment on that.
05/14/2013 11:40 PMPosted by Daedrot

I know this will be a shocker but contrary to popular belief Paladins never "sucked.' In old vanilla we weren't even healers we weren't truly part of the "Holy Trinity(tank, healer, dps), " we were a support class and had a role like no other.

The class was based on buffs and debuffs, 30 second seals buffed you with one thing then when judgement to a target put a debuff on them. Blessings lasted only 5 min unlike the hour they do now and there were so many blessings. All the "hand" spells paladins have now were blessing back in the day and were later renamed so you could have a blessing and a hand spell on yourself at once. Along with the only cleanse that could cleanse 3 types of debuffs at once paladins were always wanted and needed just not for what people wanted.

As the years have passed the class has slowly changed so that it can be the class people think of when they roll paladin, and not some buff/debuff based support class. When people think paladin they think a warrior/priest in one and now that more what you get in many ways (with ret you get rogue mixed in there). Do I miss some of the old spells like aura's and so on? Yes. However I understand that when something serves no purpose you can get ride of it, and hanging onto those things can cause more problems that anything else.

Seals are a great example of this. As I said at one time we had almost 10 seals all with different effect both when they were a buff and later when they were be judgment onto the target. Now however they serve little purpose and I will be shocked if they are still around in WoD, will i be sad to see them go? Yes, but that doesn't mean the class going to lose it's flavor you will still have wings and other paladin abilities. People always think it was so much better back in the day but the truth is, it wasn't you remember the good but forget about the bad. My advice just look to the future and see where the class goes from here. ^_^
Just Bring back Seal of Blood imo.
The removal of Auras and the nerfing into near-uselessness of Divine Shield are the two biggest losses to me. Even as a Ret I used to love to run Improved Devotion Aura. It made me feel like a Warcraft III paladin, and they were the whole reason I chose the class in the first place. To me Paladins should always be heavily-armored knights who can heal and deal melee damage equally well no matter what "spec" you chose.

I remember the first time I played Warcraft III and got to the mission where Uther lets Arthas lead an assault on the Orc Blademaster. While Arthas scurries around building the base and exploring the map, Uther could single-handedly take on the orc waves the computer would send at you. He'd pop his Divine Shield and just go to town with his hammer. Divine Shield should be an integral part of a Paladin's abilities in my opinion.
I think we had it best in Wrath. All our class flavor and utility was intact, we no longer had the tedious seal refreshing mechanics, we were pretty good in tanking, healing, and dps, and we didn't have combo points.

Being a paladin in an undead centered expansion was pretty cool too.
04/27/2014 09:03 PMPosted by Tharíus
I think we had it best in Wrath. All our class flavor and utility was intact, we no longer had the tedious seal refreshing mechanics, we were pretty good in tanking, healing, and dps, and we didn't have combo points.

Being a paladin in an undead centered expansion was pretty cool too.

We might have been good from a numbers perspective but ret had a seriously boring style of play. Holy Power made ret so much more engaging. But I agree that we had so much more class flavor. That was helped though by the fact that the entire expansion revolved around the Lich King and his undead army.
05/17/2013 12:08 AMPosted by Provence
I miss auras. Remember auras? Turn 'em on and forget about 'em? And it felt so cool -- like you were actually a paladin right out of Warcraft 3.

I wish they had never taken auras away.

I get that auras have been a big deal for Paladins in WoW, but in WC III, Paladins only had the one (Devotion Aura). Tons of different Heroes had auras, it was hardly a Paladin-exclusive thing. Archmages had Brilliance Aura, Dreadlords had Vampiric Aura, Tauren Chieftains had Endurance Aura, etc. If you're going back to the roots of auras, you'll find that they're hardly something that defined Paladins.
Our Aura should be Protection from Evil anyhow. And we should be stacking Charisma, not Haste.

Make the Paladins real Paladins! Oh wait...
05/14/2013 11:40 PMPosted by Daedrot

I disagree and so did Nihlum EU, Eternal Reign and Karma Light Bringer US. Who were- and might still be around got top ranks on some boss kils in TBC (if you're into that kind of thing that is). They were doing so with tankadins

@OP
Yes. When paladins had a more paladin flavor, and distinction for me was from a variety of things. For me that included a few things. On my list was auras and consicration for tanking. Next up were the blessings tide with Seals. Class dialgues and stories also helped give direction. that helped act as a anchor.

05/14/2013 11:12 PMPosted by Danqna
I mean, MOP, it's basically a holiday in a foreign continent! Uther would be screaming "Get back to work!"

possibly- he had the mouth of a Marine- making him one of the more dynamic paladins. He was painted as warrior general that augmented his already finely honed years in the with magic,. IIRC there was a story when he was in a bar brawl- he used a table as a shield. Supposedly his old-school cursing became somewhat legendary with dwarfs.

05/15/2013 08:21 AMPosted by Aeremis
This character is about smiting the enemy while keeping an eye to my compatriots and being willing to lay my own life on the line to help those who are in a pinch.

THAT my magicly-upgraded-warrior-ish 1.2 friend is what tankadins briefly did-You could almost argue that a paladin (for example) worked slightly better augmenting a group effort.
04/24/2014 11:11 PMPosted by Aleyeh
Seals are a great example of this. As I said at one time we had almost 10 seals all with different effect both when they were a buff and later when they were be judgment onto the target. Now however they serve little purpose and I will be shocked if they are still around in WoD, will i be sad to see them go? Yes, but that doesn't mean the class going to lose it's flavor you will still have wings and other paladin abilities. People always think it was so much better back in the day but the truth is, it wasn't you remember the good but forget about the bad. My advice just look to the future and see where the class goes from here. ^_^

at the risk of being a Cynic it'd be hard for the class to loose much more flavor. It'd go from being vanilla a few color sprinkles. to cardboard.
at the risk of being a Cynic it'd be hard for the class to loose much more flavor. It'd go from being vanilla a few color sprinkles. to cardboard.

I agree, I mean, opposed to tightening more flavor...

Anyone notice this is a 2013 necro ?