what is a "unit frame"?

UI and Macro
referred to a lot talking about macros and addons, but not quite sure what are. Is it part of the screen, or something that only appears with addons? Thanks
A "unit" can be defined as a target, your focus, or the player. A "frame" is the artwork which encompasses or designates such unit.

Someone must have a better definition... This is the first thing that came to me at 5AM. >_>
It's the HP bars of you, your party/raid, and any player or NPC you're targeting.
A unit frame is, broadly speaking, a piece of your screen that tells you information about a "unit." The most common "units" people care about would be yourself, your pet, your target, party/raid members, your focus, arena opponents, or bosses.* The information can be as simple as name and current HP, or it can be as detailed as the name, race, class, 3D portrait, current HP, max HP, current mana/power, max mana/power, guild, PVP combat status, etc...

Both the default Blizzard UI and addons provide unit frames. For some examples of unit frames provided by addons, check out http://www.vranx.com/unitframes.htm

*There are other units you can track, although they're generally not useful. For example, you could check out your 3rd party member's target's target's target's target's target, but that's a little out there.
For example, you could check out your 3rd party member's target's target's target's target's target

Sounds great, but would I heal him? DPS him? buff him? ask him for a quest?

Thanks everyone for explanations and links.
05/14/2013 04:45 AMPosted by Foxwizard
For example, you could check out your 3rd party member's target's target's target's target's target

the frame just gives you information. what you do with the information is up to you.

You ask him for his autograph. Because that guy is always Kevin Bacon.

You ask him for his autograph. Because that guy is always Kevin Bacon.
QFT.