I wish pallies didn't have a GCD

Paladin
Imagine how wonderful life would be...
You could make 1 damage button and spam it?
Yeah...And think of how OP that would be and how hard the nerf-bat would strike us.

Hell. No.

None of our damage abilities are 'spamable', though. They all have a CD >1.5seconds. Except our Holy Power abilities, but those are determined by how we generate the charges, so their CD isn't relevant.

I don't think we'd be too OP, we dont have any true spammable spells.
we dont have any true spammable spells.

No one else does either.
It would be like playing Beethoven
05/21/2013 10:04 AMPosted by Aglaea
we dont have any true spammable spells.

No one else does either.

Priests have SW:Pain, Mages have Ice Lance, Monks have Jab. The list goes on. What do pallies have?
>Pop wings
>Pop macro that casts Judgment, Crusader Strike, Hammer of Wrath and TV in the same instant
>Collect 2700 rating
Jab isn't exactly spammable except as a Brewmaster, and I would imagine Pain and Ice Lance would both consume inordinate amounts of mana to higher levels specifically to prevent them being spammed mindlessly.
>Pop wings
>Pop macro that casts Judgment, Crusader Strike, Hammer of Wrath and TV in the same instant
>Collect 2700 rating

Can't have TV in that, would have to cast it after the first 3 hit. Also, that's not enough to kill a geared person in pvp.

Jab isn't exactly spammable except as a Brewmaster, and I would imagine Pain and Ice Lance would both consume inordinate amounts of mana to higher levels specifically to prevent them being spammed mindlessly.

It wouldn't be mindless, though. Once someone is frozen, a non-GCD ice lance spam would be enough to kill them, without OOMing the mage. Pain would be abused enough for insane AOE.

Obviously asking for a removal for GCD for paladins is kind of ridiculous, but i'm just trying to use it to make a point. I feel like Ret is 'boring' and not dynamic. I know thats subjective, but if you consider our 'rotation', it's basically /cast whatever isn't on CD -> inquisition = yes, then TV/DS; if no = /cast inquisition -> repeat.

To me this makes ret feel very linear and a sort of whack-a-mole play style, where the ultimate goal is to hit your spells as soon as they come off of cool down. Whereas other classes have to manage their debuffs and spell synergies, all we have to do is make sure we have inquisition up.
05/21/2013 10:27 AMPosted by Dingys
I feel like Ret is 'boring' and not dynamic. I know thats subjective, but if you consider our 'rotation', it's basically /cast whatever isn't on CD -> inquisition = yes, then TV/DS; if no = /cast inquisition -> repeat.

Then you're not playing properly. Ret has to make a lot more snap decisions than other specs (particularly casters) due to following a priority system, not the sort of "whack-a-mole" system you're describing. Each spec is interesting in its own way, of course, but Ret feels a lot more fast-paced and interesting than most other specs I've played (and yes, I've played most of them).
05/21/2013 10:36 AMPosted by Keten
I feel like Ret is 'boring' and not dynamic. I know thats subjective, but if you consider our 'rotation', it's basically /cast whatever isn't on CD -> inquisition = yes, then TV/DS; if no = /cast inquisition -> repeat.

Then you're not playing properly. Ret has to make a lot more snap decisions than other specs (particularly casters) due to following a priority system, not the sort of "whack-a-mole" system you're describing. Each spec is interesting in its own way, of course, but Ret feels a lot more fast-paced and interesting than most other specs I've played (and yes, I've played most of them).

What priority system? The only spell with the highest priority (highest uptime) would be Inquisition. All other spells can be cast as soon as they come off of CD, without much regard to how it will affect the following spell.
05/21/2013 10:45 AMPosted by Dingys
What priority system?

Read the sticky.
What priority system? The only spell with the highest priority (highest uptime) would be Inquisition. All other spells can be cast as soon as they come off of CD, without much regard to how it will affect the following spell.

And if you're doing that, your damage output is suffering, probably significantly. Ret hasn't played that way since the end of Wrath.

BTW, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet, but "spammable" spells aren't the only reason the GCD exists. There are two other things to keep in mind:

1. No GCD means you can use all of your abilities together at the same time as well.
2. Even going below the enforced 1 second GCD (such as with Bloodsurge procs for Fury) causes excessive stress on the servers, according to Blizzard. Just look at situations where people spamming chat messages have crashed servers (hence why there's now a "spam limit" on chat messages). Imagine the server trying to handle actual damage calculations, procs, combat log parsing, etc. with no GCD.
05/21/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Dingys

None of our damage abilities are 'spamable', though. They all have a CD >1.5seconds. Except our Holy Power abilities, but those are determined by how we generate the charges, so their CD isn't relevant.

That's irrelevant, you'd still be able to make a 1-buttom spam macro that would perform your rotation for you. Something like:

/cast Exorcism
/cast Cursader Strike
/cast Judgement
/cast Hammer of Wrath
/cast Execution Sentence

And you'd be able to just spam that macro and it'd use every ability that wasn't currently on cd. The only thing you'd have to manage yourself would be when to use Inq, when to use TV, and cds. And really you could toss TV to the top of that macro and just have to manage Inq and cds.

This can't be done currently because a macro will only ever attempt to cast one gcd ability per press, so the above macro would always attempt to cast Exorcism, and never attempt to cast any of the other abilities (regardless of whether exo was on cd or not).

In other words, your suggestion just makes the spec even more boring as you'd only need like 2 buttons to play it.
05/21/2013 10:50 AMPosted by Grôgnárd
What priority system?

Read the sticky.

"Retribution's "rotation" is actually a loose priority system. Hitting your buttons in imperfect order certainly won't put your numbers in the dirt, but you may not be topping any meters either."

05/21/2013 10:58 AMPosted by Pancakê

That's irrelevant, you'd still be able to make a 1-buttom spam macro that would perform your rotation for you. Something like:

/cast Exorcism
/cast Cursader Strike
/cast Judgement
/cast Hammer of Wrath
/cast Execution Sentence

And you'd be able to just spam that macro and it'd use every ability that wasn't currently on cd. The only thing you'd have to manage yourself would be when to use Inq, when to use TV, and cds. And really you could toss TV to the top of that macro and just have to manage Inq and cds.

This can't be done currently because a macro will only ever attempt to cast one gcd ability per press, so the above macro would always attempt to cast Exorcism, and never attempt to cast any of the other abilities (regardless of whether exo was on cd or not).

In other words, your suggestion just makes the spec even more boring as you'd only need like 2 buttons to play it.

But that's what i'm trying to say. Keeping Inq up and managing CDs are what ret boils down to, without much regard for our skills. I just wish our skills had more synergy with each other.
It would be a DPS buff (especially a burst buff), but not really a QoL improvement. And there are less stupid ways to buff DPS.
05/21/2013 11:27 AMPosted by Dingys
"Retribution's "rotation" is actually a loose priority system. Hitting your buttons in imperfect order certainly won't put your numbers in the dirt, but you may not be topping any meters either."

Just imagine all those sweet, sweet Templar's Verdicts you're losing by not playing right though.
Make Inquisition out of the GCD and i'll be a happy panda.

Hell, make TV to refresh Inquisition like evenom do with SnD =D