[5.3] Major Input Lag Issues

Mac Technical Support
Can we get an update for this? The game is annoyingly unplayable at the moment (oceanic lag PLUS this). It's getting rather old when you're paying to essential beta test a game.

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.3.0
Time since boot: 58 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f35

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.Australian
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
I've had keyboard input delay since like 5.0 but its only in instances/raids.
i think the input lag is tied to actual fps. i just don't see it at 60fps, but it is noticeable at lower fps such as crowded areas or raid. i'd say if anything 5.3 made it so less emphasis is placed on reduced input lag on low fps?

then again, on my mac pro even at low fps the input lag is marginal at best, still very playable. it goes from marginal to non existent in 60fps areas though.
i thought this was a diablo thread, but im having the same issue only with that chat, its like a 10 second delay,
Is there an update? Having the same trouble on a Mac Pro.
same problem for me.

i used to be top 5 dps on most of the fights in LFR TOT.. now i'm around 13th every time because of the extreme lag.

twin consorts, they create a fire trail on the ground and if blink is off CD it takes me like 10 seconds to move out of it.. same problem with the lightning rings on Lei Shen

before 5.3 i had a little to no lag, now i am lagged out for the entirety of every 25 man raid encounter
Same issue, I seem to lag everytime I type I see my fps drop. Very annoying. A restart of my computer seems to solve it for a short period of time but then it kicks in again.
Same issues

During certain encounters such as:
Jin'rokh Puddles
Mageara Rampages
The start of council
The start of Iron qon

Also many other threads:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8198643405?page=4#62
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7211921611
ibiza, that is entirely an unrelated issue. that is an ability lag that affects raid fights specificly as you say. devs are aware of that issue and are working on it separately.

The one documented here is an input lat that occurs EVERYWHERE and is pretty much tied to lower fps. I can reproduce it EASILY if i just set my view distance to ultra and take my fps down to 20. it seems view distance is the big factor here because i can have 4fps during a raid fight and still not have input lag at good view distance. i set it to ultra and i have input lag even at 30-40fps. i want to say something is off about cpu spending on objects in the distance that lags out input?

these are my findings thus far anyways.
This has been getting horrible.

It's not just in crowded areas or Pandaria as some have said.

I've been playing smooth consistently for months without even a spike, and suddenly I've seen lag spikes as high as 9000 ms.

My PC specs are fine, I have no Adware, /reset doesn't work, I've killed all my addons, made sure nothing else is running on my PC, reset my router, and nothing is helping!

My ability bar has from 1/4 second delay to 4 second delay making even doing basic Heroic runs impossible. I can't do BG's, I cant Raid, I can chat with my guild and that's about it.

This is definitely a client issue.
06/28/2013 01:16 PMPosted by Syphlis
I've been playing smooth consistently for months without even a spike, and suddenly I've seen lag spikes as high as 9000 ms.

off topic. create a new thread. network latency is not what this thread is discussing.

To clarify a few things

This thread is not about high MS or latency or ability cast lag related to such things
This thread is not about low fps or lockups or "slideshow" fps issues
This thread is not about boss encounter specific input lags affecting certain raid bosses (this is a known issue at blizzards end and has nothing to do with mac client.

This thread IS about input lag typing such as typing, responsiveness of cursor or key presses in general. NOT spell casts, the ACTUAL key press, big difference. Basically, latency between your hardware and the wow client, not latency between wow client and wow server.. This distinction is important because one issue has to be fixed in mac client end and other is a network issue that has to be troubleshooting through completely different steps...
Interestingly I'm having the same issue with my HP laptop, which also uses the Nvidia 650m chipset. I can be happily going about my business at 80-100fps and then suddenly drop down to 15-20 fps.

I've tried rolling back my Nvidia driver from 320.18 to 314.21, which initially felt like it helped, but I'm back to the same problem again. I'm spending half my time in game trying to adjust graphics settings -_- ..very annoying.

I'd care to wager that this is probably tied in with with the Nvidia graphics drivers and something that must have changed to the WoW graphics engine in 5.3,considering a few of you have mentioned using Macbook Pros and I'm using the exact same GPU.
Curious if this is an issue in other games other than Blizzard games, because if it is tied to a Nvidia issue we might be seeing this elsewhere. Seems like mouse/keyboard input might being monitored in some way and is being blocked by other services trying to run.
Just as an update, I've found that changing the Graphics API from Direct X 11 to Direct X 9 in WoW has had the most significant change - the input lag and severe fps spikes seem to have disappeared as far as I can tell (have been running with this setup for a couple days now).
considering a bunch of macs with ATI graphics posted about problem, including myself and OP, i'm gonna go ahead and say this isn't a nvidia issue on the mac. it may be on windows and if so probably same symptom but different cause. I suspect it's better to treat it as two separate issues and ask that windows users post in relevant windows tech support thread and i suspect this mac issue is a different issue from yours since ours affects all hardware and only at lower fps. it seems tied to how the client how handles low performance situations as it really tanks input lag the lower your fps are, suggesting that the client is no longer emphasizing hardware input over fps, which to a degree there should be a balance when "reduce input" is not turned on. It almost feels like now the new unchecked "reduce input" is "extremely low priority to input" instead of a balance.
Hey guys....I was having this issue too. Tried everything. I noticed the problem has disappeared, at least for now, by simply running a windows update and doing a clean install of latest gpu driver/software. Let's hope it lasts.
Hey guys....I was having this issue too. Tried everything. I noticed the problem has disappeared, at least for now, by simply running a windows update and doing a clean install of latest gpu driver/software. Let's hope it lasts.

I'm afraid that won't work here since this is an OS X client issue (this is the Mac tech support forum). :)
Caution: This cookie bites back.
I agree i don't have a Mac but i have this issue i am just traveling to complete quest and when i get to quest giver there i can't talk to him to complete it but i can walk. sometimes i am flying then turn off mount from affects and i fall then i fly like i am swimming everywhere then it disconnects me from server

P.S. the flying like swimming is very fun and i don't have any adds
I have been seeing some Spikes but not input lag per say.
This has been happening too :\