No Valor Gear in 5.4?

General Discussion
Post Limit:
1 2 3 5 Next
Something tells me this is really going to really polarize the user base. Many will cry, many will berate them mercilessly (just watch this thread, you will see tons of really nasty/rude comments aimed at me).

The way I see it is that currently, many folks carry several VP pieces of gear (I sure do). It's not like they are free gear, one does have to play the game and DO stuff to earn the VP. So one is NOT getting something for nothing. AND those who are in a guild that regularly raids normals will ALWAYS outgear someone who has a lot of VP gear on them anyway... so they will ALWAYS "be ahead."

So why would anyone begrudge someone from being slightly better geared than what one can earn from LFR (that's basically what VP gear does)? There sure has been an effort on Blizz part to put more difficult content out in the world (Barren's Commanders, IoT rares) so being able to have slightly better than LFR gear simply makes those a LOT more enjoyable. I spent the day yesterday doing Commanders in Barrens... being slightly better geared than LFR meant I could contribute a lot more to everyone's enjoyment (including my own) because those lesser geared than I had an easier time of it.

I really see no reason to actually do this, other than to stroke those who can raid epeens. How would dropping VP gear make the game better? Do they really need to stroke the ego's of the elite? I'd never begrudge those guys what they earned, why should they begrudge what I can currently earn? And why would/should they celebrate this move?
Good post well said.
They have new items you can farm for on the new isle.

^ that can get people 535 gear.
I'd never begrudge those guys what they earned, why should they begrudge what I can currently earn? And why would/should they celebrate this move?

Most of them don't, it's the vocal minority that feel their Ferrari is devalued when a Korean knock-off that costs 1/10 as much rolls up next to them at a red light who are the ones with the problem.
Well in a round about way you can get new gear. On Timeless isle you'll get tokens for gear and with a large amount of coins that you grind from the mobs there you can get an item that will upgrade it to 535 ilvl. The only downside is that you can't know what the stats will be.
Something tells me this is really going to really polarize the user base. Many will cry, many will berate them mercilessly (just watch this thread, you will see tons of really nasty/rude comments aimed at me).

The way I see it is that currently, many folks carry several VP pieces of gear (I sure do). It's not like they are free gear, one does have to play the game and DO stuff to earn the VP. So one is NOT getting something for nothing. AND those who are in a guild that regularly raids normals will ALWAYS outgear someone who has a lot of VP gear on them anyway... so they will ALWAYS "be ahead."

So why would anyone begrudge someone from being slightly better geared than what one can earn from LFR (that's basically what VP gear does)? There sure has been an effort on Blizz part to put more difficult content out in the world (Barren's Commanders, IoT rares) so being able to have slightly better than LFR gear simply makes those a LOT more enjoyable. I spent the day yesterday doing Commanders in Barrens... being slightly better geared than LFR meant I could contribute a lot more to everyone's enjoyment (including my own) because those lesser geared than I had an easier time of it.

I really see no reason to actually do this, other than to stroke those who can raid epeens. How would dropping VP gear make the game better? Do they really need to stroke the ego's of the elite? I'd never begrudge those guys what they earned, why should they begrudge what I can currently earn? And why would/should they celebrate this move?

People are going to be mad and rightly so as it's just another thing you have to grind out. I don't mind farming out vp and some other stuff but at this point in the expac it's getting ridiculous. There's been vp gear for years now and I fail to see why now it's an issue. Plus I can't see them doing that. It would kill the usefulness and value of vp which i don't think they're willing to do. It would give people even less of a reason to run dungeons, and LFR (though I'm okay with it hurting LFR since I think it needs to die, another post for another time, and yes i know I have LFR gear but that doesn't mean I like it,) and I highly don't believe they're ready to take that plunge just yet without having some way to compensate for the vp.
though I'm okay with it hurting LFR since I think it needs to die, another post for another time, and yes i know I have LFR gear but that doesn't mean I like it,

It would seem most LFR Heroes don't care what happens to NH but the NH Heroes want LFR gone.

Is your snowflake melting?
I think I read that the Timeless Isle ilvl 496 drops are BoE... is that correct?

I think the ability to upgrade these items to ilvl 535 is throttled to once a week? And doing so makes the item soulbound? Can anyone confirm?

Those items also appear to be upgradable 4 times each. Does that mean an ilvl 535 item can be upgraded all the way to ilvl 551?
I think I read that the Timeless Isle ilvl 496 drops are BoE... is that correct?

I think the ability to upgrade these items to ilvl 535 is throttled to once a week? And doing so makes the item soulbound? Can anyone confirm?

Those items also appear to be upgradable 4 times each. Does that mean an ilvl 535 item can be upgraded all the way to ilvl 551?

The 496 items are very easy to come by and any you don't need or can't use can be sent to alts.

The upgrade item is called Burden of Eternity and you can use as many as you have. Only limit is getting them. They can drop from mobs, be found in chests, quest rewards or bought from a vendor for 50k timeless coins. And every thing you do on the island results in at least a few coins.

Still limited to 2 upgrades though.
The problem with the new TI gear as a replacement for valor gear is that it falls way short of normal gear item levels. Past valor gear usually equals the same item level as normal mode gear.
The new ti gear which starts out at 496. Thats 2 tiers old normal mode levels and through massive amounts of grinding (50,000 coins) upgrades to 535 and after 1000vp can become 543. Placing it a little above flex (540) but well below normal (553).

While personally it wont bother me much since i will never do normal mode raids.
I will miss being able to get close to normal mode item levels with out ever setting foot in one.
But as i said very little of a bother for me since i do not really need those lvls.

Now who will this effect? Anyone wanting to pug higher than flex mode.
We all know blizzard doesnt set the item level requirements for pugs the community does.
With out valor or some thing with normal mode item levels accessible outside of normal mode very few players will ever be able to reach what the player community will require for joining a pug.

IMO just another nail in the coffin of normal mode raids. Its like blizzard wants to kill off normal mode raiding.
Normal mode is already struggling as it is. next comes flex with will be a massive draw for any guild having trouble in normals (which is the majority of them). Then this take valor away and put in some thing that is less than valor. Making it harder to find recruits that do not need massive amounts of gear up once they join.

By next exp i predict normal mode to be dead and possibly phased out completely by blizzard.
will look like
lfr
flex
2 levels of challenge mode.
Everyone's got their own opinion on the path to gearing - to be fair Blizz has changed their preferred method enough so that folks should kinda be used to things changing up from time to time.

As it stands there's so many ways to get gear right now, plus the BoA stuff that'll be coming, I don't really see how it's an issue to celebrate or denounce - it just is what it is.
So what does one spend valor on in 5.4?

The 496 items are very easy to come by and any you don't need or can't use can be sent to alts.

The upgrade item is called Burden of Eternity and you can use as many as you have. Only limit is getting them. They can drop from mobs, be found in chests, quest rewards or bought from a vendor for 50k timeless coins. And every thing you do on the island results in at least a few coins.

Still limited to 2 upgrades though.

Are you saying one could hypothetically get several ilvl 535 pieces in the first week of the tier, by simply spending a massive number of hours grinding Timeless Isle?

I'm surprised Blizz didn't do this more like Barrens, and have a weekly throttling mechanism.

Upgrades. Also, SPA gear still costs Valor, although at reduced prices.
I'm actually fine with this, and I think a lot of big raiders will be too.

Now instead of grinding TONS of valor for gear, you can just use it to upgrade your previous gear, which is much cheaper!
08/09/2013 10:30 AMPosted by Greenarciah

So I have to wait for he rng gods to give me a peice of normal raid gear? Then once I get it I can spend 500 valor on it? Seems redic to me. Rng is a !@#$ system.
I'm actually fine with this, and I think a lot of big raiders will be too.

Now instead of grinding TONS of valor for gear, you can just use it to upgrade your previous gear, which is much cheaper!

By 5.4 all my gear will be fully graded...
08/09/2013 10:39 AMPosted by Lossus

So I have to wait for he rng gods to give me a peice of normal raid gear? Then once I get it I can spend 500 valor on it? Seems redic to me. Rng is a !@#$ system.

I expect many players who participate in Normal will find it worthwhile to upgrade Flex gear. Similarly, I expect many players who participate in Heroic will find it worthwhile to upgrade Normal gear.

Same logic for LFR+Flex.
I hate VP gear. Such as waste of VP as most of it is terribly itemized.

With LFR and Flex Raiding dropping ridiculously high item level gear, I'm glad they didn't feel a need to put in a VP vendor as well.