The forum.....

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
The worst I have feared has come. It is literally on the verge of destruction.

I could see it years ago when I took a break from WoW, and now it's like a desolate wasteland. There use to be so much RP everywhere, now....maybe 2-3 are actually going. The rest is just random questions about things. Not even a tavern thread around, when there was AT LEAST one going on all the time.

What happened here? Did everyone just commit suicide when MOP came out?
I noticed that too, when I began RPing, it was on the forums first. I could be in 3-4 forums RPs at a time, and now... well, I just made my own thread because there was no other RPs I could jump into.
The sky is falling.
Stop complaining and join a thread!! Make a tavern thread, or something, really those got boring.
Stop complaining about complainers.
I couldn't join Cad's thread, because it wouldn't be a normal day in stormwind if a pair of fabulous belves pranced in and frolicked all over the place.
Would be exciting though!!
Too much fabulous for one ally city to handle.
Noticeable huh? Yea..well..

Things change, ya know. People probably didn't have a lot of time like they did back in the day and have moved on. Others might have stopped playing WoW due to the fact that they probably feel worn out, there are many different reasons/possibilities why people have left, but that doesn't mean they've all gone murdered themselves :P At least I hope not anyway.

Still, the forum manages to get back somehow, and I hope it stays that way for another year or so at least :>
This forum was one of the only reasons I really played WoW, everything else was just dull since good people were hard to find.

It seems even the old school people who use to be on the forums, some of the first who seemed to stay around forever left. This is either a very dark time, or the resting place for this place. Very saddening to see it go. So many great threads and memory's linked to it.

Why does it seem like everytime I leave a place I really like for a short time, I come back and everything just goes down the drain? Its like I'm everything's life support.
If many forum RPs are the same they do indeed tend to get old. How many tavern RPs can one really tolerate? I don't blame people for being a bit bored with it. Forums are actually very poor platform for IC activity.

While the criticism does help people learn lore, I can find some threads where people said they were leaving the forum because of the un-needed rude replies they got to a question or asking if their character's roleplay is good. They just throw the rough criticism when it isn't needed.

There is problem with criticism. Some people can be destructive with their criticism instead of constructive. I take the kid gloves off when I butt heads with some other posters because of the way they tend to debate their opinions (Iraelius can be one of my favorite people on the forums and my favorite to argue with).

You have to understand that when there is any form of creativity involved there will be people who are overly sensitive. People whom, with any criticism at all, will overreact, turn on the dramatics, and leave crying. People who think any criticism is rough criticism. (It is for this reason that while I never critique artwork, even for friends. People aren't looking for feedback they want sunshine blown up their asses and homie don't play that.)

Why does it seem like everytime I leave a place I really like for a short time, I come back and everything just goes down the drain? Its like I'm everything's life support.

Who are you again?
I also get a bit bummed when I see only a few active RP threads, but you have to look on the bright side. Sure, a couple years ago this place was hopping, but most of the RPs were garbage. The majority of the threads created every day were crappy tavern RPs that were populated with one-line posts from kids who couldn't care less about lore or the Warcraft universe, they just wanted to flirt with the cute blood elf.

I had a habit of getting on Skype with my old buddy Bazzil and we would read each other lines from these horrifying, lore-butchering, one-line crapfests and we would laugh and laugh and laugh... Good times.

Now, the population is down, but I see that the majority of those that remain are conscientious role players that are trying to better the WoW RP community through solid, interesting, lore-abiding characters and threads.

And that makes me happy.
I couldn't join Cad's thread, because it wouldn't be a normal day in stormwind if a pair of fabulous belves pranced in and frolicked all over the place.

This made me giggle :D Stormwind cannot handle the belves! The library would explode from the astronomical amounts of fabulous.

When I was a touch more of a timid player, I used to love to read some of the forum tavern RPs. I was a lurker tho, never posting anything. Granted its not like I play on many RP servers (none really) and I never knew much about my own toon, let alone the game's lore. But now I actually have a history for my toon and a basic, moderate grasp on the lore; or at least the ability to look things up. But now there's hardly any/no tavern RP and only one open RP thread and I've never RPed before so I don't want to join a sign up RP.

That seems like joining a raid as a tank when you JUST flopped specs to a tank spec. I did that once, only because we were desperate for a tank and I could switch to a cat/bear faster than any other class switching to a tank spec.

So if there are any newer forum RPer's they could be just like me, waiting for a casual thread to actually RP in and break in our feel for our toons.

Granted now that I have a back story for her I seem to act more in character in wow than just... ah controlling? doing mundane things with no character perspective? I dunno. It just feels a little different playing her now.
05/25/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Vynianyx

This made me giggle :D Stormwind cannot handle the belves! The library would explode from the astronomical amounts of fabulous.

Happy to have gotten a giggle.
"I leave home for a few days and look what happens!"

Yeah I haven't been on the forums in about 6ish months now. Finally decided to resub and see if there's any magic left in the game and check the fourms in the process, and, wow this place died :/ I remember there being so many threads I couldn't keep up, and now...

*sigh* Kinda sad to see it so quiet...
I do see what you guys are talking about - I was a regular poster (although on a different character) up until just before MoP came out, but more and more I've found myself doing little more than lurk as the quantity and quality of threads declined and university started using up more and more of my time. It also doesn't help that most of my recent inspiration has been devoted to very unusual characters that would not fit in most threads, let alone be welcome in them.

It would be nice to see the activity revived somewhat, and since I'll be graduating soon I can certain try to contribute, but like Sylvestris pointed out, we can't try and increase activity at the expense of quality.
The sky is falling.

Should we take this as a time to panic? Or sit down and wait for the sky to squish us like bugs?