Arcane or Fel Magic?

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
I recently RPed with a group of Forsaken. One of them had a "traitor" locked in chains made by fel magic, and the "traitor" was a Mage. So the Mage emoted that he used Arcane Blasts to destroy the chains, and then he ended his emote with his character casting another Arcane Spell.

Everything halted, and then they all started arguing OOCly about powers and what not. Apparently, or at least according to all the Warlocks in the room, even a Priest, Fel Magic is 3 times more powerful than Arcane.

Is that true? I'm still not sure.
I personally have never seen anything to suggest that, lore wise, either one is that much more powerful than the other in terms of magnitude. Though Fel seems to be more potent, I think. Hopefully someone better informed will come along.
The Fel is more potent. This is to say that if you use the Fel to cast a fireball you're going to have a much strong fireball.

However, in such a situation as that it's not Fel v Arcane - it's Potency v Potency. Even if the Fel is more potent... well, put it this way.

The Fel-forged chains have a set potency. No matter what happens that potency isn't going to increase or decrease. They were already created, they could be recreated, but otherwise they are locked in place at the time of their creation.

Now a mage, bound in these, could feel the power in them - could test the bonds and determine how much force would need to break them to shatter them with a spell. Now in a duel between the two? A warlock can unleash stronger magic because of the potency of the Fel, but will suffer from exhaustion faster and more poignantly than a mage wielding the Arcane because of the impure nature of the Fel.
What? Just what?

Can a character even cast without gesture?
Why not use real metal instead of fel magic?
Why, if they could make magic chains, why not make them suppress magic casting as well?

It's never explained and is debated on what components spells require.

Though... well, a book I read had a wizard casting with his toes. Like a badass.

So I'll go with that.
The best way to answer this question is to say a few other things.

If magic could be measured and you have lets say 3 arcane magic and 3 fel magic, one is not more powerful then the other point for point.

Though there is something else to add to this, a mage and warlock are not the same in HOW they get there magic, in fact warlocks are mages who give up the arcane arts to go for fel magic and there is a reason for this, the reason is fel magic is easier to get. A mage has to study the arcane arts, he must also train himself with discipline and insight and self control in order to gain more arcane magic within themselves, unless they have a magical artifact take it from, and even then they need to be able to master that. The warlock has an easier route, true they have to master the fel arts too, but they can gain extra magic from the demons they summon, this makes magic point for point much easier and faster for them to gain.

With this if a mage and warlock on there own are the same in magic point for point the warlock wins because he can summon more power on his side from demons were the mage cannot. though in this fight the mage would have more patience and discipline from there training were a warlock would not since they went to the fel arts to escape that, he takes more from the demons.

As to the question at hand it would have to say, is the mage more powerful the the warlock. If the mage is stronger then both the warlock and any amount of extra fel magic that warlock can summon, then yes he will break free. to ad to this the mage would also just be a more intelligent, patient and wiser character then the warlock who took the easy way out. This of course now goes into the relem of characters and not actual lore, enjoy that one.
05/24/2013 10:13 PMPosted by Iraelius

Though... well, a book I read had a wizard casting with his toes. Like a badass.

So I'll go with that.

I usually do some sort of gesture for casting because I think it adds to the character by making them more animated in emotes.

Something about having a priest pull a feather out of their pocket, or shuffle through a spellbook to cast a spell adds a little flavor. (And if the caster gets mad they can always just throw the book at someone.)
05/25/2013 12:15 AMPosted by Zandrae

So I'll go with that.

I usually do some sort of gesture for casting because I think it adds to the character by making them more animated in emotes.

Something about having a priest pull a feather out of their pocket, or shuffle through a spellbook to cast a spell adds a little flavor. (And if the caster gets mad they can always just throw the book at someone.)

I do as well, even if it's just something as simple as an arm extension and finger point or what have you. If I'm going for a bigger spell, one that requires a lot of power, there's a lot of gesturing, chanting, and components to make it look like a shamanistic acid trip.
It's why I asked about the gesture, I'm not sure if it works that way or not.

Regardless, the whole thing makes my common sense tingle.
It's why I asked about the gesture, I'm not sure if it works that way or not.

Regardless, the whole thing makes my common sense tingle.

Yeah - as Blizzard hasn't given any hard information (besides us knowing spells do, at least, require a somatic component) it's basically left up to each person to choose who they RP magic.
+1 for use of somatic.
+1 for use of somatic.

And I meant verbal but we were speaking about gestures! Bah.
Fel magic is much stronger than Arcane magic. A Warlock, which most people know, used to be a mage and simply wanted stronger magic. Fel energy is much more corrupting, but much more powerful. It would take quite a powerful blast of arcane energy to break cuffs made of Fel energy, depending on how much time was taken in making the magical cuffs. And a powerful spell takes a decent amount of movement, so if he couldn't move his arms/hands around much to cast a spell, it likely wouldn't be very powerful.

Personally, to stop problems like this from happening my character uses enchanted cuffs which drain magical energy. Aka - Person tries to use a spell, spell is drained into the cuffs. Of course there is debuffs I've put on them, like too much energy put into them at once could cause the enchant to bust, ending in a small explosion of energy and destroying the cuffs. Probably giving the person wearing them some bad arcane burns. As well as the fact they're normal cuffs aside from the enchantment, just a strong metal. If they could find a way to break these, then they're free as well.
My opinion on it is simply this. Yes Fel power is more volatile, it may be stronger in some cases against some enemies. And yes it is corrupting, it is slowly driving my warlock insane. But then again, as far as rp is concerned, if you try to say something along the lines of: "My warlock is more powerful than your mage and you cannot break out of my spell/binding/ magic cuffs no matter what you do" is being a little too OP for anyone.

In an rp situation, you make your spells "difficult" to undo or counter, not impossible. That is only common courtesy. It is human nature to be competitive but you don't want to come off as a bully or a purely dominant force that has no counter. Make them struggle yes, make them go through a lot of pain or beg for mercy yes. But do let them have a creative way to get out of it, and here is the most important part: You discuss the options OOC so you are both comfortable with the options and the outcome.