Ret PVP, lets talk Sacred Shield.

Paladin
I know selfless healer is better, but hear me out.

I was doing twos earlier with a monk, and everything was going fine for the most part, but two of the matches I got absolutely zerged/stunlocked/silenced by a competent Hunter/Rogue team. The whole match I got off only a handful of judgments, so my flash of lights equaled to pretty much jack !@#$.

Then it dawned on me, I probably should be using Sacred Shield vs teams with extremely strong openers. It probably would have helped immensely surviving all that burst and CC chains. I just have it in my head that SH is the best no matter what, I didn't even consider it. If selfless healer is godly for off healing, wouldn't sacred shield be better for when we know we're going to get trained?

Does anyone actually do this? I haven't even tried SS since they made the 30 second portion undispelable. I don't even know how much it absorbs now, but it has to be better than a useless stacking Flash of Light buff vs certain comps. Insight gives it extra power/extra tick as well. >.>

Opinions?
Bg hero here, in a wow where people are being bursted down in a matter of 10 seconds or sometimes even quicker than that, the pitiful amount of mitigation it provides is useless, not to mention that the actual mitigation can be dispelled

And if you get into an arena match where SS mitigates a decent amount of damage for you, selfless healer would have likely served you better
I stick with Selfless always... SS is crap imo.. not enough damage absorption to make a difference with the strength of a rogue (or many classes) burst.. but if you can get a few judgements off and then a blind or something to get some separation, selfless healer procs can make a huge difference in a fight. Cast time reduction on fol's is huge...
Try hand of purity out for a few matches its 10% dmg reduction will work wonders and its 70% dot dmg really cripples certain comps you would be surprised how much u can survive in seal of insight with SS and keeping hand of purity up 100% of the time
But to answer your main question I would still recommend either selfless or eternal flame trust me 10k heal ticks while pillar humping will equate to a ton more healing for yourself and your partner its very easy to kite as a ret and having that passive buff ticking is very nice
The sacred shield buff itself can't be dispelled, correct? I was under the impression that only the tick can be removed. Even so, I wouldn't use it against a comp with heavy dispels.

How much is a tick of SS absorbing in PVP now a days?

As far as eternal flame goes, I personally can't stand it. If I'm getting focused I'm using WoG way more than once every 30 secons, and sometimes with 2 holy power. A weaker EF will overwrite the stronger one, which bugs me.

I usually run Divine purpose, but using Holy Avenger defensively in combination with sacred shield may be effective. Once the Hunter/Rogue team has blown all their best CDs, we should be able to stomp then.
Bg hero here, in a wow where people are being bursted down in a matter of 10 seconds or sometimes even quicker than that, the pitiful amount of mitigation it provides is useless, not to mention that the actual mitigation can be dispelled

And if you get into an arena match where SS mitigates a decent amount of damage for you, selfless healer would have likely served you better

It's easy to forget that everyone has at least 65% resilience now, that combined with the pvp power nerf means everyone is doing less damage.

SS isn't that bad when you consider it mitigates a set amount of damage every five seconds. This can add up to be a 20% damage reduction or so. Remember that if you're not being trained you can put it on a teammate.
It's useless against anything that can dispel it though.
06/01/2013 08:35 AMPosted by Andhar

For me in Ret it's 18k, in prot 15k.

I like to use it when my trinket procs so i get a 22-25k absorb every five seconds, which is actually very good.
The sacred shield buff itself can't be dispelled, correct? I was under the impression that only the tick can be removed. Even so, I wouldn't use it against a comp with heavy dispels.

Yes, the 30-second buff is undispellable. Only the shields can be dispelled.
06/01/2013 11:34 AMPosted by Kathira

I like to use it when my trinket procs so i get a 22-25k absorb every five seconds, which is actually very good.

Judging from this, I would probably get more mileage out of SS in teams with strong openers then. At least I can have SS rolling while I wait for the Rogue to open on me, and it would continue to absorb while I'm trying to escape, especially with insight up. Worth a shot.

I can still cast flash of Light after escaping anyway.
06/01/2013 05:41 PMPosted by Andhar

Judging from this, I would probably get more mileage out of SS in teams with strong openers then. At least I can have SS rolling while I wait for the Rogue to open on me, and it would continue to absorb while I'm trying to escape, especially with insight up. Worth a shot.

I can still cast flash of Light after escaping anyway.

I really debate the usefulness of selfless healer in ret, when I know they're going to train me anyway.

Hell half the time I get trained in prot, ppl like to kill paladins:l