Gauntlets of the Shadowy Protector

New Player Help and Guides
Post Limit:
Hi all,

I just started raiding yesterday and it's been a lot of fun! Today I received 'Gauntlets of the Shadowy Protector' from one of the bosses. I was told I had to exchange them in at the quartermaster in Townlong Steppes.

I headed over there and was about to make an exchange when I noticed I could choose from a few different items. There were three designed for a WW monk such as myself, except they differ in iLevel (480something, 490something, 500something). I was (obviously) about to choose the 500something ones when I noticed they said heroic. I have no clue what that means! Could some kind soul please explain what exactly I should be doing with these gauntlets and which item I should choose?

Thank you!
There are three raiding difficulties in MOP raids, raid finder, normal, and heroic.

When you queue up through the Raid Finder menu, you'll enter the raid finder version of an instance. That means that the item level of the loot that you receive there will be lower than the normal and heroic pieces. This applies to tier as well.

Gauntlets of the Shadowy Protector is the one you received.

There's also:
Gauntlets of the Shadowy Protector from the normal difficulty of raids.
Gauntlets of the Shadowy Protector from the heroic difficulty of raids.

You can exchange the raid finder for the gauntlets marked with the green "raid finder" tag.
The MoP raids have 3 versions:

Raid Finder (easiest version, groups are formed through the queue system)

Normal (average version, groups are formed by the players who then venture to the physical entrance of the raid and enter as a group)

Heroic (most difficult version, groups are formed by the players who then venture to the physical entrance of the raid). Before you can get into the heroic version, someone in the group must have cleared every boss in the normal version.

All three versions drop raid tokens for similar looking gear with the same name, BUT each version's gear has more stats (and therefore a higher iLevel) than the version below it.

The tokens that drop from the Raid Finder version are only able to be exchanged for the matching version of that item. Same with the Normal version's tokens and the heroic version's tokens.
Oh, so I wouldn't have been able to get the heroic version even if I had tried. Thanks guys!!
Oh, so I wouldn't have been able to get the heroic version even if I had tried. Thanks guys!!

At least not until you kill that same boss in the heroic version of the dungeon and get the heroic version of that token.
Very good replies. Still does not explain why u can upgrade these tokens. lol. No need to waste your valor points doing that. Just turn these in for the appropriate gear. :)
Still does not explain why u can upgrade these tokens. lol. No need to waste your valor points doing that. Just turn these in for the appropriate gear. :)

Because upgrading the gear through valor points was not part of his question so we didn't mention it.

Upgrading through valor is ON TOP of getting the appropriate gear from the tokens. You get the Raid Finder item, upgrade it with valor points a couple of times, and it ends up only a few iLevels below the base version of the Normal raid item. The Normal raid item upgrades a couple of times and it ends up only a few points below the base version of the heroic raid item.

The item upgrading is to help ease the transitions between the three raid types and between the prior raids and the newer higher tuned raids.