5.4 Patch notes for Mages

Mage
The End.
Its still extremely early. Besides, mages are in a really good (at by that I mean balanced) spot atm. It could be that Blizz has big plans that they don't want to reveal yet before they get it right. My money is on very little changes this up-coming patch.
Well I honestly don't know what they'd nerf that they hadn't already.
lol
We'll probably see some buffs to the lesser used talents/glyphs. Theres already a few of them in the patch notes. It'd be cool if they can make more talents/glyphs viable and interesting choices.
id like a reduced cooldown of glyph of illusion
glyphs for the bombs could be cool :D
They need to think about what to nerf this patch.

shut up ghost crawler might be listening he has no clue how mages are meant to be played but he got 101 ways to screw a mage but a buff aint one
They need to think about what to nerf this patch.

...and they need time because it's hard to find something that hasn't been nerfed already.
Hopefully they are working on a way to balance the 3 specs with each other.

Currently, Frost is too strong at low gear to pass up on, but it scales very very poorly above 530. The opposite is true for arcane and fire, needing high levels of gear (as well as set bonus' and meta gems) to be even considered.

I think the biggest issue people had with mages was that they were basically being forced into a particular spec, meaning they couldn't play the game how they wanted.

I for one love frost mages, and am not much looking forward to having to change to fire or arcane (and relearning how to play them), so I would love to see something that keeps them equal in the SoO raid.

Currently, Frost is too strong at low gear to pass up on, but it scales very very poorly above 530. The opposite is true for arcane and fire, needing high levels of gear (as well as set bonus' and meta gems) to be even considered.

I think the biggest issue people had with mages was that they were basically being forced into a particular spec, meaning they couldn't play the game how they wanted.

I for one love frost mages, and am not much looking forward to having to change to fire or arcane (and relearning how to play them), so I would love to see something that keeps them equal in the SoO raid.

The mana gem change looks like a hint at our 90 talent rework, considering the 90 talents are all about mana regen and we never run out of mana. I would go as far to say that the mage 90 talents are the worst of them all, not because they are bad but because they are so thoughtless and unnecessary. Another problem would be forced shattering as Arcane and Fire in PvP. It seems pretty lazy to just dump deep freeze on the two specs, it made every spec feel a bit like frost. I think any fire mage would prefer to have a good version of blast wave(wotlk one) then becoming a shatter spec.

The mana gem change looks like a hint at our 90 talent rework, considering the 90 talents are all about mana regen and we never run out of mana. I would go as far to say that the mage 90 talents are the worst of them all, not because they are bad but because they are so thoughtless and unnecessary. Another problem would be forced shattering as Arcane and Fire in PvP. It seems pretty lazy to just dump deep freeze on the two specs, it made every spec feel a bit like frost. I think any fire mage would prefer to have a good version of blast wave(wotlk one) then becoming a shatter spec.

I have heard about a mana gem change, but I don't see it in the patch notes? Do you have a source of this?
Just venting ideas.

I feel like the amount of crown control fire mages have in PvP is an overkill. In the perfect situation you can poly three times dragons breath frostjaw silence for 4 deep freeze blanket counter spell and a combustion stun. As far as tradition goes Frost has always been the control spec. I think the instant cast spam deep freeze play style is a bit stupid, spamming a bunch of pyroblast on a deep freezed target does not feel like fire at all. In my opinion it would be nice to give pyroblast a cd and buff up the damage a bit giving it more of an impact. Blizzard removed fire orb from fire/arcane and made it a frost only thing. I think I would rather have a good version of fire orb(and arcane orb for arcane) then having Blizzard, Flamestrike, and Arcane explosion. We have always had all of those spells but I would prefer as fire to just have flamestrike but make it more powerfull, maybe make it so you can spend hotstreak on Flamestrike and increase the damage by like 200%. That way pyroblast having a cooldown would not mess up PvE as much because you can drop a mad flamestrike on the boss. Blizzard stated before that they don't want aoe spells to be used on single targets, such as whirlwind and divine storm. But I think flamestrike is an underused power and would work out pretty well with hot streak.

I think shatter is fine as fire, it worked out pretty well in cata imo. With inferno blast and frost nova/45 talents we have plenty of ways to get reliable hotstreaks in pvp without Deep Freeze. Deep freeze made it self into a signature frost power and should be frost only again. Having that much CC and being an instant cast shatter monkey is thoughtless and feels out of place. I would much prefer having a wotlk blast wave that does decent damage and some of the cooler talents that fire used to have. One of the most fun passive talents I've ever used was Fiery Payback in wrath. The rng disarm has no place in the game but Fiery Payback made it so if you're @ or below 35% hp your pyroblast cast is much faster but has a cooldown. It enabled a very high risk play style, you could sit at low hp and get mad pyroblast off but the weakness is you're at low hp and could die if you messed up.

tl;dr: Fire mages have too much cc with deep freeze, give pyroblast a cd to prevent spamming instant cast in a deep freeze(or remove deep freeze from fire and give us wotlk blast wavewave). Bring back hard casting/high risk play style with Fiery Payback.
pyroblast a cd to prevent spamming instant cast i

As someone who mainly PVE's, please no. At these crit levels that would be awful.
As far as the mana gem change goes, it's not confirmed but about halfway down on mmo champ you can see the notes.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/

I do hope they do something with this, one of the drawbacks of a mage is supposed to be high mana cost powers and mana management. It's not fun being at full mana all the time in PvP, it's brainless.
06/13/2013 05:37 AMPosted by Taluun
pyroblast a cd to prevent spamming instant cast i

As someone who mainly PVE's, please no. At these crit levels that would be awful.

Well honestly if they just removed deep freeze from fire it would not be a problem anymore. Would even it self out if we didn't have 100% crit chance for 4-5 seconds on players.

Edit: On another note Frost Armor is pretty crap for what it's supposed to be, molten armor gives you more defense against physical classes then Frost Armor does(Even more so with Glyph of Armors). It used to reduce attack speed but that's been removed, I have no clue what they could do to make it better but I feel like it could use a little change. I would also like to see Slow reduce range attack speed again. The one good thing Arcane had against hunters was being able to reduce their attack speed, but they removed that for some reason. Considering how easy it is for hunters to shut down arcane maybe it would help make arcane a bit more viable.
As far as the mana gem change goes, it's not confirmed but about halfway down on mmo champ you can see the notes.

I do hope they do something with this, one of the drawbacks of a mage is supposed to be high mana cost powers and mana management. It's not fun being at full mana all the time in PvP, it's brainless.

Ah Thank you. They may be setting something up to change the lvl 90 talents to a a more mana management style thing and less of a dps thing. Obviously that is just speculation though.

Ah Thank you. They may be setting something up to change the lvl 90 talents to a a more mana management style thing and less of a dps thing. Obviously that is just speculation though.

You would think you would sacrifice mana for damage, not gain mana for damage.
Yeah, considering GC's comments that the talents seemed to have too great an effect on Arcane, I'd say it's much more likely they'd divorce them from Evocation and focus them more on damage than the other way around.
I typically dont pay much attention to twitter or even Gc's statements unless someone posts them here, so my bad.

My speculation was based on that some, iirc, have stated they would prefer the talents as mana management instead of dps gains. And that maybe they liked that idea.