This Game Does Nothing To Teach Bad Players..

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 19 Next
06/18/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Shuku
See the problem?

The only problem I see is that more and more gamers are becoming complacent with having boring game content and easy games. "Thinking makes my brain hurt!", right?

I wouldn't say this.

People just aren't being taught - So they get frustrated they don't know how to play when they were never taught.

Also; Those who actually do want the easy mode do have it.
06/18/2013 02:42 PMPosted by Shuku
See the problem?

The only problem I see is that more and more gamers are becoming complacent with having boring game content and easy games that require no critical thinking. "Thinking makes my brain hurt!", right?

I think more powergamers should graduate into things like addon development or guide writing.

... if real challenge is what they want.
Every game developer (ESPECIALLY BLIZZARDS!) should watch this short little video and take notes.

Hmm well who should I trust when it comes to the development of a multi billion dollar gaming company, Blizzard or some random dude on Youtube, ya I'm gonna have to go with Blizzard on this one.
I think more powergamers should graduate into things like addon development or guide writing.

Or better yet go work on curing cancer or global warming or something else that is actually important.
I guess the OP missed the memo about "Proving Grounds"?

*shrug*

Some people...
I guess the OP missed the memo about "Proving Grounds"?

*shrug*

Some people...

*giddy jummp*

Or better yet go work on curing cancer or global warming or something else that is actually important.

I build surgical generators for cervical cancer treatments in non-tier 1 countries. Does that count?

Also, it would seem the only place top performance is necessary is in heroic raiding. I sincerely doubt people in heroic raid guilds are flubbing their rotations (at least not from ignorance).

Nah, nothing so idealistic... just that if people are getting frustrated that parts of the game are too easy, they should propel themselves into the new challenges. They can keep it to the game though.

I think the issue is that people only want challenge that is in their comfort zone, though.
Who should I trust when it comes to opinions on what makes video games good? A companies opinion who's goal is making more money? Or a gamer who has a love for video games and actually plays the game?

Well if you have any capacity for logical thinking you will realize the company only makes more money when it continues to make great games, and last time I checked Blizzard was still making a profit.
06/18/2013 02:52 PMPosted by Judgernaught
Who should I trust when it comes to opinions on what makes video games good? A companies opinion who's goal is making more money? Or a gamer who has a love for video games and actually plays the game?

Well if you have any capacity for logical thinking you will realize the company only makes more money when it continues to make great games, and last time I checked Blizzard was still making a profit.

QFT
This has been my primary complaint about the game for quite some time now. I'm not sure how this Proving Ground business is going to work, but if it's a mechanism designed to help teach players how to play their role, then awesome! I'm behind it all the way.
06/18/2013 02:03 PMPosted by Shuku
This game does nothing to teach bad and new players how to become good at the game.

It does nothing to teach good players or experienced players either.

It does nothing to teach. Period.

It's up to the players to work out all the various ways to run their character. Use of spells and abilities, awareness of things happening around them (don't stand in the fire, etc) and so on.

Many players do this in various ways. Some by trial and error, some by talking to other players and learning from them, some by looking at web sites and researching things (which is the same thing as "talking to other payers", as it is "other players" who posted that stuff on those web sites in the first place), etc.
Bad players have zero interest in learning, it's the main reason they are bad

Seriously, what percent of people in your LFR groups didn't know the basics on the Lei Shin fight several weeks in?
I build surgical generators for cervical cancer treatments in non-tier 1 countries. Does that count?

It does if A. you aren't flat out lying and B. you can differentiate the difference in importance between your job and a video game you play in your spare time.
You are given over 80 levels of practicing your class. Your Spellbook has a page that some of your abilities to you. What help are you exactly asking for? Blizzard isn't going to tell you a good rotation or what talents you should go for. You are suppose to learn it on your own or come up as a group in maximizing your DPS.
06/18/2013 02:45 PMPosted by Judgernaught
Every game developer (ESPECIALLY BLIZZARDS!) should watch this short little video and take notes.

Hmm well who should I trust when it comes to the development of a multi billion dollar gaming company, Blizzard or some random dude on Youtube, ya I'm gonna have to go with Blizzard on this one.

Ditto. I get real tired of arm-chair experts who think they know best when half of them spew suggestions make me want to quit.
Coincidence?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
06/18/2013 03:02 PMPosted by Shuku

I would have to say the same.

Implying that making a game that is more profitable makes it a good game.
People say Call of Duty is a good game when in reality is it practically the same as every other FPS with not really any differences. They release the same game every time, give it slightly better graphics and new guns, but it is the same exact cookie cutter FPS like all the rest and people eat it up like animals like its this new and fascinating breakthrough in gaming.

Also I think you are forgetting that Blizz has lost about a 4th of its subs within the past two xpacs, in which they have substantially dumbed the game down and made everything easily accessible with hand out epics and LFR. It was pretty much at its peak in BC up into WotLK at about 12mil or whatever then LFR came out and then Cata and now it is what? 9million? 8million?

Coincidence?

You have no clue what you are talking about. Take your tin-foil hat and go sit in a corner.

BTW, in wrath you could just plain buy tier raid gear with no rep grinds. It was great. We lost 2 million of the subs at the very beginning of cata when the forums were erupting with complaints about how things were too hard (I personally know of 3 raid leaders who started in vanilla that threw up their hands and unsubbed once they got to 85 and started running the heroics.)