Frost Mage H Horridon

Mage
Anyone have any tips for this boss. My guild is started progression on him today we make it to the 4th door then die. My dps is a bit lagging, at least to me, I was doing 138k and am using nether tempest. I have trouble knocking pink dino away and attacking adds. Long story short any tips are appreciated.
I'm in a similar situation to you. We're currently working on heroic Horridon, the farthest we got was till Warlord Jalak, but it's only been like ~20 pulls so we're confident we can get it done fast.

Here's what I found helps me.

- NT will crank out more numbers than Frost Bomb, but it requires you pay a lot of attention and multi dot effectively, which is hard to do given the increased HP/damage on the adds and the chaos that's sometimes going on. I did end up getting higher numbers with Frost Bomb (~160k - 180k ++) on some pulls as there's some convenience to it (on our pull the adds are clumped up on the tank - on the third gate we stack). Once I get used to the fight I'll probably go back to NT.

- I use this macro for knocking back the Dino
/target Direhorn Spirit
/petattack
/targetlasttarget

You can replace /petattack with /cast (spell) if you like. If you leave it at petattack, bind /petassist to another key when you want your pet to help you out instead of knocking back the dino. NT will work well if that's your spell. Another trick I use for this fight is to sometimes throw my Frozen Orb where it will hit both the adds and the Direhorn Spirit. Or if gets too close, and you're surrounded by adds anyway, use an AoE skill (Arcane Explosion?)

- Temporal Shield will heal back Dire Call's damage, but usually your healers end up healing you before its ripples kick in (I guess they do it out of habit). To make things easier on them, you might be better off going for Ice Barrier to take less upfront damage from the Dire Call. Ice Barrier can give a powerful absorb if you re-apply it when you have a lot of Int procs active. It can absorb ~230k damage for me if I use it on Wushoolay's final tick (10 stacks). Temporal Shield is very useful for this fight if you use Cauterize though.

- Counterspell is VERY useful for this fight and you should at all times interrupt casts to make things easier on your healers. First gate you can interrupt the stone gazers. Second gate you can interrupt the priests & enfusions. Last gate you interrupt the Fireball casters (those Fireballs HURT) and the chain lightnings from the bear shammys. And of course interrupt the Dinomancer.

- Ice Block is critical as it removes DoTs off you. Cauterize/Cold Snap/Greater Invi are all viable for this fight in their own ways. Cold Snap will reset Ice Block and if you get to Warlord Jalak you'll see it's incredibly useful to heal yourself up when he uses his skill at the same time Horridon uses a Dire Call. Greater Invi drops threat and removes DoTS off you, and again can mitigate damage (extremely useful if you find yourself in a bad spot surrounded by stuff on the floor you need to avoid). Cauterize will save you if your Dino gets too close or in final phase when Jalak uses his spell with Dire Call from Horridon.

- Curse Removal is important for fourth gate. I'm one of just two dispellers on this gate anyway, so I dispel more than just myself, DPS falls behind here due to dispel duty. I plan to maybe glyph Remove Curse on the next pull, as on some pulls I end up dispelling 7-9 people.
Thanks very helpful
Why aren't you an MVP Break? Every bit of info you put on these forums is pure gold...
I choose to put the water elemental on the add when I get it and put it on passive then the water attacks the add till its across the room
If you wanna make keeping your bomb on Horridon up easier, you can use this macro

#showtooltip
/cast [target=focus,harm,nodead][harm,nodead] Nether Tempest

Just set Horridon as your focus. It really helps if you have an addon to track where your debuffs are, but keeping Horridon dotted adds a lot of dps, and helps you beat the enrage timer.

Note that this macro works for any debuff you choose for a focus target, like slow, polymorph etc.

If you want to make the pet management even easier, add /petpassive to the front of Break's macro and leave it on assist when you pull. That way it'll attack the direhorn until you tell it not too. I usually tell it to attack then after about 20 seconds put it back on assist so it attacks my targets.

I usually save my frozen orb for when the dinomancer comes down and throw it into the pack of mobs, you can help get the dinomancer down really quickly with all of the FoF procs.

Good luck!
The tips in here are pretty good. I use the same Macro as Breaktheice but I wouldnt recommend putting your pet on the Spirit as that is just a waste of DPS. Your Frozen Orb will knock it back and if Ice Lances. Really, just dance around and kite as much as possible otherwise you lose too much DPS.

Ice Barrier will negate most of the damage on Dire call. I also went w Greater Invis as pulling aggro on mobs is pretty easy.

My guild is bad with Logs but I did about 240k on our kill this week. Most of your damage will come at the end. Use NT, keep it up on Horridon at all times, Keep it on the Direhorn at all times. You can Pet Freeze the mobs on the 1st and 3rd door for FoF procs. This is a pretty long fight and I was able to IV on pull, end of the 2nd door, beginning of the 4th door and on Horridon.

I thought about Glyph of Remove Curse but you only dispel a few times on the 4th door and I dont see the glyph as being worth it.
06/15/2013 08:25 AMPosted by Bogey
I also went w Greater Invis as pulling aggro on mobs is pretty easy.

Be careful with this, if you invis, your Direhorn Spirit will aggro onto someone else in the raid, and of course they can't see it or interact with it, so they could get instantly one-shot.
06/15/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Alveiah
I also went w Greater Invis as pulling aggro on mobs is pretty easy.

Be careful with this, if you invis, your Direhorn Spirit will aggro onto someone else in the raid, and of course they can't see it or interact with it, so they could get instantly one-shot.

I heard this happens, but it never happened for me. On some un-recoverable situations, people will start dying intentionally so I would greater invi to drop threat off Horridon & the other adds to try and survive to mass ress. My Direhorn would still remain fixated on me throughout.

The only bug I encountered with the Direhorn which people warned me about was knocking him too far. I forgot to ask my pet to get off him and my pet knocked it out the arena. It then spawned beside me and hit me (really hard =X)
It'll go on someone else but I think it'll refixate if you instantly break it
Yeah be really careful about putting your pet on the Direhorn Spirit and just thinking you have it solved because the thing can really easy bug out if it's constantly being hit. We've had multiple raid members have theirs bug out and begin evading so they have to continually run from it the entire rest of the fight.
Mostly i just put my pet on passive then use the hotkey to tell it to attack the direhorn spirit until its really far away,(just take care not to knock it out of the area and have it become immune, that happened to me this week and i had to spend the entire fight kiting him in giant circles since i could not knock him away.) Aside from that i could give you a run down of basic things i do for each door.

-First door, Only real suggestion i have for first door is the adds that come out of this door can be frozen by your water elemental for easy icelance procs.(icelance glyph works wonders too for extra cleave damage)

-Second door, Assuming you have melee interrupting the venom preists i would say focus on get any venomous effusions that spawn down since they can cast the raid wide aoe dot as well. Use greater invis/iceblock to clear dots.

-third door, i have found concentrating on some of the smaller adds rather then the warlords can be helpful since the dots they apply can very quickly become absurdly damaging. Note you can also freeze some of the adds on this door too for easy icelance procs. use greater invis/iceblock

-Forth door, Biggest thing to watch out for this door are too not stand in totems(this has been the sole cause for most of our horridon wipes), also get ready to decurse as often as you can. the curse the shamans apply is incredibly painful if anyone in your raid is dpsing while it is on them, so to save lives just get ready to dispel people as often as you can too save your healers alot of trouble and mana that could otherwise be spent healing people. Also do not forget to kill any flamecasters still hanging out around near the door after horridon smashes it.

After that is pretty basic just pop defensives for direcall aoe and use lust+cooldowns to kill jalak as fast as you can, then just hope you can down horridon before enrage.

Hopefully some part of that will be of help.
Basically what everyone else has said but keep in mind that on the fourth door you need to prioritize tanks for decurses as it really hurts their active mitigation.

Also note that flame strike will knockback your direhorn spirit which I found mildly useful while aoeing on the third door.
Thank You all very much for your advice it really helped. My guild got to jalak phase but keep wiping. I used all the advice here and it works well.Hopefully next week we'll get it.
Why don't you try fire? Also Frost bomb / Living Bomb might be more powerful since there are almost always multiple adds to cleave.
Make sure you glyph ice lance and perhaps cone of cold (that thing does insane aoe dmg for an instant cast).
The /cast Ice lance at the Direhorn macro seems to work best for me, your pet is an integral part of your dps and making it dps the dino full time is part of the reason for lackluster dps.
A good way to deal with the spirit - let it get close to you / hit it back once or twice if u need a few more globals. Then pop blazing speed + blink to get as far away from it as you can and continue dps. This way over the entire fight you use maybe 20-30 globals on the pink dinosaur.
If you go fire, treat it like Warbringer soloing: stagger Blazing Speed and glyphed Blink. You'll never have to waste GCDs on your spirit. The fight actually went from one of my least favorite to most liked fights once I figured out it was viable to just go around in circles.
Why don't you try fire? Also Frost bomb / Living Bomb might be more powerful since there are almost always multiple adds to cleave.
Make sure you glyph ice lance and perhaps cone of cold (that thing does insane aoe dmg for an instant cast).
The /cast Ice lance at the Direhorn macro seems to work best for me, your pet is an integral part of your dps and making it dps the dino full time is part of the reason for lackluster dps.
A good way to deal with the spirit - let it get close to you / hit it back once or twice if u need a few more globals. Then pop blazing speed + blink to get as far away from it as you can and continue dps. This way over the entire fight you use maybe 20-30 globals on the pink dinosaur.

IIRC after Living Bomb's recent change it isn't that great for AoE anymore and the other two bombs pull ahead. It does however still prove useful on this fight if you want to quickly focus down the bigger adds per gate it will probably be a great choice - definitely viable.

On paper kiting the Direhorn doesn't seem difficult, but when you take into account Horridon's charge on you, crap on the floor, having to stick/spread/interrupt/dispel, etc. that's when I feel it becomes a bit messy (for me anyway).

Trying this boss out again in like ~1 hour from now. I hope we kill it!

P.S -> Has anyone tried the Tailoring nets on this Dino? =/?
From what I noticed on our attempts, Living Bomb is not too bad. The explosion it does is pretty weak, but the ticking damage is nice. However, it was only really useful when we had at least 2 of the big adds, and maybe the dinomancer (and lets be honest, if you're doing it right, you shouldn't have 3 big adds up). Using it on the smaller adds did very little
And as you said, having to watch dots as well as everything else that goes on... I'm sticking with FB for the time being.

As for the add, I find that losing a little dps and not having to worry about it (I set it to focus and watch the minimap to make sure it doesn't go out) is the way to go.

A /petattack macro set to my alt-bar icelance seems to be the win. During the intermission between gates, I tend to have him go back on the boss (this also works well since the pink add is usually a long way off by this time).

There's some great advice on here, good to see part of the community that hasn't degraded. Not sure how the fight is for other classes, but I was expecting something much, much harder considering the forum QQ, although we only got to 4th gate.

On a side note - How did you guys find Iron Qon compared to Horridon Breaktheice?
Like Digerati, I too have basically went to kiting the Direhorn.

I still feel NT is best for this fight but I guess LB could also work. I also stopped using GInv not because I lost my Direhorn, just I get lazy and never change it off Jinrohk. Lol.

If youre playing Frost, remember you can Freeze adds on the 1st and 3rd doors. It helps a lot.

Also, my guild was stuck on H Horridon for about 2 weeks, then we killed 3 bosses the next week and 2 the next. Its kind of easy then till Durumuu or so I hear.