Don't install BC or Wrath if you're at 4.x

Technical Support
Prev 1 3 4 5 12 Next
I just bought BC for me and my roomie... DONT install from the disks. just go to your blizz account and add the key. the BC and WoTLK are already there... I kept getting the install errors on the BC disks... so I just logged into WoW (which is upgraded to 4.03) and was able to get into all the BC content without having to install anything from the disks. I did my own upgrades first in case of glitches such as this. my roomie bought WoTLK BEFORE buying BC.. mistake on her part... but it was the same with her upgrades.. dont use the disks, just go to your blizz account. put in the expansion keys.. and then log into your upgraded ( to 4.0.3) WoW game and all the content is already there... it's so much easier than having to install from all the disks. I applaud Blizz for that.

I am running dell Optiplex 755 with Core2Duo vPro 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 1tb HD, and nvidia 7600gt video. people say my vid card sucks, but im getting 56 fps. and the system is upgraded to win 7 ultimate.
so it's not a matter of OS or Hardware... everything you need is already there thanks to Blizz. just add your keys to your account.
I just don't understand some people. If you are already patched to 4.0.3 then why run an installation disc for Wrath/BC? The game is already installed and patch.....common sense really :-/

Bottom line is this......if it's a CLEAN installation you can use whatever disc you want. Afterwards let it patch up. However to save time use the LATEST disc use have. Every WoW DVD has the full game client on it minus any patches you may need. Installing them in order isn't required. Hell you could do a clean install with just Cataclysm and aside from minimal patching you would have it all.

To recap:
Doing an install with a BC disc and then using the Wrath or Cat discs might lead to some system instabilty as it installs one on top of the other (I've had this happen to friends before). Using one of the later discs and then an earlier one WILL lead to instabilty. Just use the latest disc you have and let it patch or use the Blizzard Downloader.
Okay so i am confused? I just bought BC and i get stuck at 74% when installling and its because i have patch 4.0 or something? So how and what do i have to do to install BC...cuz i upgraded my account to BC but burning cursade still isnt working...
Okay, so I've bought every upgrade to the game including Cataclysm. I don't need to "re-install" the game anytime soon, but, in the future, if Blizzard knows I've paid for the licenses for BC, and WLK, when I'm next forced to re-install the game, do I have to go through installing the basic version first, then BC, then WLK, and then WoW:CAT, or can I just install the basic version and then, I suppose, 4.x? Will Blizzard just try to digitally install BC and WLK if I don't do it via CD/DVD?

I mean, I get what you're saying--that once I've installed 4.x, don't go back and install BC or WLK. I'm just trying to figure out what the fastest way to install the game is now. I'm hoping isn't as confusing to you as it feels like. Sorry 'bout that.
Just enter your BC CD key into your account management page :)
12/13/2010 2:11 AMPosted by Bull
Okay, so I've bought every upgrade to the game including Cataclysm. I don't need to "re-install" the game anytime soon, but, in the future, if Blizzard knows I've paid for the licenses for BC, and WLK, when I'm next forced to re-install the game, do I have to go through installing the basic version first, then BC, then WLK, and then WoW:CAT, or can I just install the basic version and then, I suppose, 4.x? Will Blizzard just try to digitally install BC and WLK if I don't do it via CD/DVD?

I mean, I get what you're saying--that once I've installed 4.x, don't go back and install BC or WLK. I'm just trying to figure out what the fastest way to install the game is now. I'm hoping isn't as confusing to you as it feels like. Sorry 'bout that.

No. Dont Install anything. Dont put your discs in. Just enter the CD key into your account management page, and then you can play.
I was having the exact same problems about a week ago. I was running world of warcraft on a Dell inspiron 530 with a very slow internet connection but since the computer had all the right specs WOW ran fine until patch 4.0 and the upgraded graphics in game and we realized we had to get a new graphics card. Turns out we had to do a factory restore because of some other issues and we got the computer back home and I tried reinstalling world of warcraft from cd; wow, bc, wotlk, and than patch to 4.0. I think the problem is the cds no longer contain the correct updated information to install world of warcraft or run correctly with the patches, atleast it seems to be the problem with me. I just bought a new computer and am not bothering with the cds I used http://us.media.battle.net.edgesuite.net/downloads/wow-installers/WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enUS-Installer.exe
and it works amazing, I think its a more reliable source to download from considering all the above mentioned. If you are starting from scratch I would recommend using the Blizzard direct installer from their website. It does take along time but than you can rest assured when you hit 100 % you wont get a fail message saying " files have been corrupted", in other words dont rely on the cds to help you at all!!!! it worked great good luck
ok sooo i just got wrath and cata yesterday and i did have patch 4. i installed them both successfully. and after i installed them it said i had to download a patch(i was on the launcher) that was 5.5 gigs. im thinking that this is all the patches that i missed in wrath. after i got to the playable stage i played. now i got the 5.5 gig download done bu8t when i click on my WoW icon it wont open and ive tried to go into the folder to and click on launher and it still doesnt open, it has opend before but it didnt have anything on it and i couldnt click help. whats wrong?
thanks now i know why i couldnt download WOTLK i just brought.
thank you will do
Hello,

I would like to thank datth for having the patience of a saint and for posting the simple explanation about the Client and the Install being two different things. That answered my question and saved me from installing an older version on top of a new one.

I'm off to frolic in the new content. ;)

-Hroud
I have been getting disconnected everytime i do certain things like change specs or walk into org, do you think its cause of this problem? because i know i do have the problem because some of my wow shortcuts will start the game and the other ones will make me download a wrath patch
I just purchased a Burning Crusade hard disc copy, and had the classic WoW downloaded. I can see not to install it from the disk, but to just enter the cd-key into my account info through battle.net. But can anyone tell me how to access this page? I can only find the digital upgrade which makes you purchase a copy of the game.

EDIT: I figured it out, I had to respond to a verification e-mail. It was in my junk folder so It wasn't allowing me to do anything else.
thank you so much i just bought both bc and wraith and that is exctly wat happend thanks again
Thank you! I was wondering why the WotLK installer wouldn't work... Agreed with some of the others though that there should be clearer messages about this on the Account Management pages at least, so people will be aware before they try to install. Now I'm glad mine didn't get to install anything, since a total reinstall as a fix would be a huge pain at this point.
i got into cata a week ago got my pally to 83 than the next day i got on all the patches were backed up to 4.0 and kept shuting down the patch when trying to install it. so i just reinstalled wow (not bc or wrath) and its still doing the same thing help plz
Hey blizz.....need help

I'm up to BC right now, and I'm trying to upgrade on line, but it doesn't let me. (it says theres an error) It doesn't work if I'm upgrading to wrath, or to cataclysm, non work

So, i decided I'll probably buy the disc copy......the problem is, i already downloaded 4.0.3

So what do i do? Can I un-download the patch?
Okay so my computer got completely destroyed and I bought a new one. My account is upgraded to cataclysm so I just use the online client from battle.net and wow will do it's thing?
Another person who also added Wrath after the upgrade and I tried to uninstall it all but I just get "Uninstallation has failed, Uninstall.xmll could not be read." Now what? Thanks!