Celestial Blessings DPS quest for cloak

Mage
Post Limit:
Hi fellow mages I just completed the Yu'Lon dps quest for the 600 il cloak :) and thought I would give some advice as I could not find too much for frost mages. Please note that I have read various strats but none worked for me and my approach relies on MASSIVE dps on the prince as quickly as possible.. ZERG DELUX.

Firstly I was surprised how difficult it was and it took me several hours of attempts to finally succeed even though my item level is over 530. My recount indicated a dps of almost 360k on him by the end of the fight. I found myself cursing Blizz and wanting a nerf but now that I have done it... no way... keep it hard Blizz lol. Frost mage advice as follows;

1. Be fully raid buffed with pots, flasks, food and health stones. I glyphed for evocation for some limited healing
2. Mark the prince with a easy to spot symbol and /focus him in case you lose him as target. 3. Put pet on passive and assign him to dps only the prince.
4. Put any shields you have up. I specced for POM to maximise my insta dps on prince.
5. From the start I blew EVERYTHING on him from BEHIND as he is blindfolded and dps from behind him gets a 3x buff. Everything includes HERO.
6. Ensure you have the temple buff purchased from the August Celestial quartermaster.
7. After a few tries you should try to learn to anticipate his moves so you can REMAIN BEHIND him for as long as possible.
8. Stay reasonably close behind him as this makes it easier to walk through him and avoid his arc aoe casts by finding the safe zone. You must react QUICKLY as the aoe hurt bad.
6. As soon as the adds spawn run towards the balcony and place a ring of frost between the Prince and the adds. Try to catch all the adds but not freeze the prince.
7. Continue to dps the prince and as soon as the adds get free pop MIRROR IMAGES along with a jade potion for max dps (I assume you pre-potted). This stage is crucial to success and you should ensure you are at max health by using stones etc.
8. Be careful not to lose los on the prince as you kite the adds avoiding his aoe spells.
9. The adds by this time will probably be greatly speeded up due to their increasing speed buff so use FROST NOVA to freeze them and continue to pound the prince from behind. I never dps the adds as I found that they had too much health.
10. Use blink to keep distance from the adds and put down another circle of frost the moment it becomes available. Make sure all the adds get frozen so watch your position!
11. By this time I had the boss down to a couple % and pounded him until he surrendered :)

By far toughest fight I have had but well worth the satisfaction and the cloak on completion.

I wish you guys the best cheers.

Darc
Soz just noticed above post was posted on an alt.. here is mage

Hi fellow mages I just completed the Yu'Lon dps quest for the 600 il cloak :) and thought I would give some advice as I could not find too much for frost mages. Please note that I have read various strats but none worked for me and my approach relies on MASSIVE dps on the prince as quickly as possible.. ZERG DELUX.

Firstly I was surprised how difficult it was and it took me several hours of attempts to finally succeed even though my item level is over 530. My recount indicated a dps of almost 360k on him by the end of the fight. I found myself cursing Blizz and wanting a nerf but now that I have done it... no way... keep it hard Blizz lol. Frost mage advice as follows;

1. Be fully raid buffed with pots, flasks, food and health stones.
2. Mark the prince with a easy to spot symbol and /focus him in case you lose him as target. 3. Put pet on passive and assign him to dps only the prince.
4. Put any shields you have up. I specced for POM to maximise my insta dps on prince.
5. From the start I blew EVERYTHING on him from BEHIND as he is blindfolded and dps from behind him gets a 3x buff. Everything includes HERO.
6. Ensure you have the temple buff purchased from the August Celestial quartermaster.
7. After a few tries you should try to learn to anticipate his moves so you can REMAIN BEHIND him for as long as possible.
8. Stay reasonably close behind him as this makes it easier to walk through him and avoid his arc aoe casts by finding the safe zone. You must react QUICKLY as the aoe hurt bad.
6. As soon as the adds spawn run towards the balcony and place a ring of frost between the Prince and the adds. Try to catch all the adds but not freeze the prince.
7. Continue to dps the prince and as soon as the adds get free pop MIRROR IMAGES along with a jade potion for max dps (I assume you pre-potted). This stage is crucial to success and you should ensure you are at max health by using stones etc.
8. Be careful not to lose los on the prince as you kite the adds avoiding his aoe spells.
9. The adds by this time will probably be greatly speeded up due to their increasing speed buff so use FROST NOVA to freeze them and continue to pound the prince from behind. I never dps the adds as I found that they had too much health.
10. Use blink to keep distance from the adds and put down another circle of frost the moment it becomes available. Make sure all the adds get frozen so watch your position!
11. By this time I had the boss down to a couple % and pounded him until he surrendered :)

By far toughest fight I have had but well worth the satisfaction and the cloak on completion.

I wish you guys the best cheers.

Darc
I did it a couple of days ago, one shot, GG. At the start I popped Hero and then just proceeded to zerge him down.

The only thing I would recommend is to use Blazing Speed, it helps to GTFO of all the stuff he throws at you. Otherwise, its pretty much easy mode.
For me it was basically put up Combustion and go afk lol. Not that I went AFK but I could have.
Actually, this fight isn't that difficult for a Frost mage and I did it without full raid buffs.

Park your Water Elemental behind him. Ask your water elemental to initiate the fight, and wait till the prince is attacking him. While he's doing that, you can Freeze him with your pet to gain a FoF proc, Deep Freeze the prince, and put out all your burst damage at once.

The prince will take 250% bonus damage if hit from behind. It's a very quick burn phase. If you don't kill him with that, just dodge the adds he spawns (they can be rooted) and keep on the prince.
Actually, this fight isn't that difficult for a Frost mage and I did it without full raid buffs.

Park your Water Elemental behind him. Ask your water elemental to initiate the fight, and wait till the prince is attacking him. While he's doing that, you can Freeze him with your pet to gain a FoF proc, Deep Freeze the prince, and put out all your burst damage at once.

The prince will take 250% bonus damage if hit from behind. It's a very quick burn phase. If you don't kill him with that, just dodge the adds he spawns (they can be rooted) and keep on the prince.

I've just tried this a number of times and am very confident this will work as I've been able to get him under 50% most of the time - one thing that has happened on all my attempts is the adds seem to spawn almost immediately. I believe they are supposed to spawn after 30 seconds or so - if I can get 30 seconds without the adds this guy is dead. Am I experiencing a bug or does this actually spawn the adds almost immediately?

One more question on rooting the adds - I've tried ring of frost - it doesn't seem to be rooting the adds - can I ask how you rooted them as a Frost Mage?
Hi there Trekie.... I had no problem rooting the adds with ring of frost... perhaps you are not waiting for the cast to fully complete. Cast the ring in front of the adds so they move into it.

Bear in mind that your pets freeze and your own frost nova also work. I noticed that the adds tended to spawn either very early or he would cast an alternative aoe spell and then only summon the adds a bit later. I guess this is luck of the draw.

I've just tried this a number of times and am very confident this will work as I've been able to get him under 50% most of the time - one thing that has happened on all my attempts is the adds seem to spawn almost immediately. I believe they are supposed to spawn after 30 seconds or so - if I can get 30 seconds without the adds this guy is dead. Am I experiencing a bug or does this actually spawn the adds almost immediately?

One more question on rooting the adds - I've tried ring of frost - it doesn't seem to be rooting the adds - can I ask how you rooted them as a Frost Mage?
When I asked my elemental to initiate the fight, the prince first used a cleave in front of him which I dodged. He then turned to my elemental. I just Freeze - Frost Bomb - Deep Freeze then released a full burst (Frozen orb + Images + Time Warp + Icy Veins + Alter Time).

He did spawn some adds. They hit hard but they move slow. You can root them with either your pets Freeze (this gives you FoF to use on prince) or your own Nova.

With Blazing Speed + Blink, and the fact that the prince will attack your elemental, then your images, and then your elemental again, it's a quick fight.

If you encounter trouble I'd recommend the Cold Snap talent as it will allow you to Ice Block twice in close succession and provide a heal as well. I did glyph Frost Nova for this fight to lower its cooldown, even though I didn't use it much. My glyphs were Icy Veins/nova/water elemental.
Do you think it's doable at my ilvl (514 if you don't want to check armory)?

I'm working on Titan Runestones right now, sitting at 7/12.
You should be able to do it at 514. It's just a matter of learning the fight. I did it at 519 ilvl and downed the challenge after a few attempts, without using any group buffs or food or flask or even Time Warp. Just learn the fight and accept that you'll have close shaves.
^^It's more a matter of avoiding stuff on the ground and less about a DPS check. Yu'lon will blindfold the black prince so every now and then he turns his back to you and uses his AoE with weird aims.
I just did the quest myself last night. I dont know if i am supposed to kill the adds or interrupt him or not, didn't know anything about the fight just zerged him down from ilvl 527. That being said, remember some of the control and such mages have. I just kited the adds and went from there.

Focus on surviving and go from there increasing your dps until you get it.
I haven't been able to get through this. I can't seem to zerg him down very well. i open with my elemenal on passive and he hits the prince with his waterbolt. The prince will then open with his 180 degree attack - i'm far off and in behind - i do the following:

I then cast freeze, bomb, deep freeze, cast my frostbolt

prince will then cast adds

i hit my frozen orb, and hit prince with 3-4 iv before the adds start to chase me. I try to run ahead and AE them down - it takes a long time and i seem to get clipped by the adds even though the don't appear to be close enough and generally die as i work on the adds - any additional tips would be appreciated. I'm getting very frustrated.
I wish I could provide some help but he just kind of fell over to my million+ dps :/
Kinda weird how they balanced it around the assumption that you're in raid finder gear. Makes it hilariously trivial for people in regular raid gear and only a little challenging for someone in LFR gear.

I was disappointed frankly.
Kaikou, what exactly did you do to make it so trivial?
I haven't been able to get through this. I can't seem to zerg him down very well. i open with my elemenal on passive and he hits the prince with his waterbolt. The prince will then open with his 180 degree attack - i'm far off and in behind - i do the following:

I then cast freeze, bomb, deep freeze, cast my frostbolt

prince will then cast adds

i hit my frozen orb, and hit prince with 3-4 iv before the adds start to chase me. I try to run ahead and AE them down - it takes a long time and i seem to get clipped by the adds even though the don't appear to be close enough and generally die as i work on the adds - any additional tips would be appreciated. I'm getting very frustrated.

Use Illusions when he turns to you and Blink behind him.
I finished this on my frost mage a few days back, but this fight is far from trivial for most mages. I am in only LFR and valor gear ,and could not zerg him down without the blobs killing me. I ended up having to use frozen orb and ice lance the blobs down. Then glyphed arcane explosion to finish them off. I think Bliz did a great job making this so challenging, for such an amazing upgrade.
I finished this on my frost mage a few days back, but this fight is far from trivial for most mages. I am in only LFR and valor gear ,and could not zerg him down without the blobs killing me. I ended up having to use frozen orb and ice lance the blobs down. Then glyphed arcane explosion to finish them off. I think Bliz did a great job making this so challenging, for such an amazing upgrade.

Glad to hear someone other than myself feels it's not so trivial. Wondering if your last statement was sarcasm or euphoria?
Man I must either suck or this quest is just too friggen hard for my skill level. I've spent enough hours on it. I was in there today with a number of others - one happened to be an FM as well - he was in there for hours as well. I wish i could cast on the move - i can't. I've tried alot of the techniques offered and had no luck. I seem to die to stuff that isn't near me - maybe I don't see it well. Anyway I plan to stop trying for awhile at least. I certainly have had no luck zerging him down.

Thanks