MoP Legendary is a cloak??

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
I thought we were going to take one of the sha-touched weapons from T14 and cleanse it of sha influence. Look at the models for them - this looks like what you are supposed to do.

would be more interesting, also you could give class specific weapon procs. I dont think say, an assassination rogue will care about a weapon damage proc, as the majority of their damage is from poisons.

it's still early in PTR, but yeah...would like to see things changed up a bit.
I thought we were going to take one of the sha-touched weapons from T14 and cleanse it of sha influence. Look at the models for them - this looks like what you are supposed to do.

ya, so we're forced to go farm heroic ToES and HoF if we didn't get weapons from tier 14.

Fact of the Matter

Everyone having a Legendary ruined it for everyone.

I thought the same; would have made perfect sense.

A legendary CLOAK??? What a bunch of horse!@#$.

Go back to the FL legendary type of questline. Maybe only 5% of the player base will get them, but at least they'll actually be LEGENDARY.
I would rather NOT have a legendary, or even a shot at one, then be jerked around for a year with the promise of a "legendary item" and wind up with this crap.
Blizzard will never win when it comes to legendaries. If one class/spec gets it, everyone complains. If everyone gets it, everyone complains.
Blizzard will never win when it comes to legendaries. If one class/spec gets it, everyone complains. If everyone gets it, everyone complains.

Pretty much. It's a no win situation for them.
Are people really THAT upset that someone else in an online video game world has something that they have, too? Who f'kin cares.
Are people really THAT upset that someone else in an online video game world has something that they have, too? Who f'kin cares.

no
we're upset because it has to be pathetically lame BECAUSE everyone gets one.

not necessarily, the model before worked.

the actual problem *is* everyone thinking they should have one. they shouldnt.
06/27/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Dijital
I hope they scrap the legendary idea in the next expansion.
06/27/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Azane

no

Given the nature of what we've been given so far, a cloak enchant and the final golden lotus item are pretty good in my opinion. The meta gem and the cape make you a lot more powerful than people who don't have them, which is what a Legendary did in previous tiers, although on a much larger scale.

Legendary weapons have proven to be a pain to balance before (Warglaives, Valanyr, Shadowmourne, Dragonwrath) and they chose the right way to do it this time.
Legendary weapons have proven to be a pain to balance before (Warglaives, Valanyr, Shadowmourne, Dragonwrath) and they chose the right way to do it this time.

The cloaks and metas arent balanced either.

we're just accepting them
no, they suck. we're talking a 1 year quest to get a trinket proc, and a stat stick in the form of a cloak.

and besides, something everyone has isnt legendary at all. at that point it becomes like a weapon enchant, or whatever. so we're losing cool, unique weapons, just because everyone has to have a charity legendary that requires literally zero effort.

people only doing LFR have got cloaks before people that are 13/13. now how legendary is that?
Well what were the legendary weapons then? I can oversimplify every item in the game as well by calling them stat sticks with a trinket proc. That effectively describes every item in the game.

I like the legendary line because it was a great way to tell and advance the story. Legendary business aside I thought it was fun getting the sha touched gems, cloak and the meta gem.

Not sure if it's the best model they have but they really can't win. Forums erupt with rage when legendary items were made with a certain role/classes in mind and now people are upset when everybody gets them, because well, everybody can get them.

The overall term of legendary for sure has lost some meaning, but traditionally, throughout this entire game I can't think of any legendary that felt legendary to everybody. For those that could get it but weren't lucky, you could replace the term 'legendary' with 'frustrating' or for those classes that didn't get a turn in 'x' tier it would just be lame. With collection methods I never really thought of that as legendary either as it was people just biding their time, waiting for 'x' amount of drops.

Who knows perhaps there is another legendary that falls into the category of past legendary items that not everybody can get this expansion.

The only thing I thought was successful to some degree this expansion was that content wasn't ruined or balanced around legendary items. They pretty much had to balance heroic DS at the start around the assumption that guilds would have a hefty amount of caster staves, which in my opinion helped ruin the tier. I mean, TECHNICALLY the content is tuned around such items (much like the staff) but unlike the staff pretty much everybody can get it. Don't know if that makes it better, but it certainly, on average makes it more fun for everybody.
At least legendary weapons were actually cool to look at. People regularly go back to farm sulfuras, dragonwrath, the shadowmourne, thunderfury, ect even though they provide zero power benefit to them anymore, they just look cool. Think about what we have gotten this expansion, a gem which only fits in a specific socket that is only found in a single weapon your class can use, which wasn't even viable past the 1st raid tier and provided no special visual upgrades. Then we get an extra gem socket.... Whoopie...which also only works on a certain set of predefined weapons. Then we get a meta gem, which granted does have an effect, but it only works in certain helms. (Plus not exactly something you could show off out of combat in ogr or sw anyway...) Now we're getting cloaks... Which just flat out suck. Sure you can see them, but between the fact that cloaks are just flat textures and that they regularly clip through things, I don't see how they could make a cloak even close to as interesting as a weapon. Its not even like its much of a journey. As far as story goes, wrathion didn't exist before his appearance in the rogue legendary line, and if you weren't a rogue, the first time you would have met him was as you stumbled into the tavern. Nothing really happens in the line. You kind of just go about your daily business and grab random pieces of junk for him and then he gives you seemingly unrelated pieces of shiny junk in return. What was up with us forging a lighting spear for him then him giving us another freaking gem? And while you can't sleep through some of the extra events, they aren't exactly all that difficult or memorable. And for it to all end with us getting a freaking cloak?!!!!!! I don't think this will be something anyone will bother to go back to later.

When they were talking about how they wanted to change how legendary chains worked at the end of cata, I pictured something more along the lines of difficult solo quests that anyone could do on their own time, but required a significant amount of gear and skill to accomplish. Not what it actually ended up being: do what you already had to do anyway and you'll get something at the end tee hee wink wink... I think going back to any of the older models wouldn't be a great idea, but the new way is terrible and I don't want to see legendary weapons get removed before I'm in a position to actually get one. (I was tank back in ICC, so no SM for me.)
a gem which only fits in a specific socket that is only found in a single weapon your class can use, which wasn't even viable past the 1st raid tier and provided no special visual upgrades.

And which cost 10k gold if you wanted a second one.

It seems that updating the original sha touched weapons was to be an important part of the chain, but Blizzard thought better of it and redesigned it. All the rewards we have now seem a bit of a mess.

Anyhow the main purpose of this chain seems to be to reward participation in LFR mainly. That's fine, but the rewards should have been cosmetic - achievements, titles, mounts, pets, transmog items, etc.

The actual legendaries should have been weapons, as usual, and required actual normal or heroic mode raiding.

I pictured something more along the lines of difficult solo quests that anyone could do on their own time, but required a significant amount of gear and skill to accomplish.

I found the solo scenario to get the gem challenging at first, although I suppose to someone of your gear and skill it was cake. There's another of Blizzards problems of how to keep people with a huge range of skill and dedication satisfied.
06/27/2013 06:04 PMPosted by Xonkjr

no

Given the nature of what we've been given so far, a cloak enchant and the final golden lotus item are pretty good in my opinion. The meta gem and the cape make you a lot more powerful than people who don't have them, which is what a Legendary did in previous tiers, although on a much larger scale.

I feel that the increase in power is greater from the meta gem/cloak then say shadowmourne. I remember that jumping fury warriors from 20-21k to ~25k. The meta gem alone is 10% of our dmg, I don't have numbers on the cloak, but I believe this quest line will provide the largest relative statistical increase in character power compared to previous legendaries, at least from a melee dps standpoint.

Still not exactly thrilled it's a cloak, but I think it's too late to change anything.
06/27/2013 10:17 PMPosted by Tuskx
I feel that the increase in power is greater from the meta gem/cloak then say shadowmourne. I remember that jumping fury warriors from 20-21k to ~25k. The meta gem alone is 10% of our dmg, I don't have numbers on the cloak, but I believe this quest line will provide the largest relative statistical increase in character power compared to previous legendaries, at least from a melee dps standpoint.

25kdps is if you're fighting Saurfang and the fight lasts 30 seconds maybe.
06/27/2013 10:22 PMPosted by Mahourai

25kdps is if you're fighting Saurfang and the fight lasts 30 seconds maybe.

I was personally on the WoL and WMO leaderboards for Saurfang 25 Heroic as Fury during T10 at around 21k DPS with 2x Heroic Glorenzelgs. With near BiS and Shadowmourne, people like Negiva, Landsoul, and Kaywarrior were able to break 23-25k consistently.
06/27/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Azane

no

Wait, are you trying to convince everyone no really means yes?
when you make a legendary that everyone can get, it isnt legendary anymore. sure, anyone could get one in the past if they put the time in, but it still required regular raiding and a decent amount of time. stats aside, the weapons themselves were unique. thunderfury/glaives stood out and are iconic. shadowmourne had a cool graphical effect, as did valanyr. dragonwrath made you a dragon, and fangs basically made you batman. theres more to it than stats and they were very powerful, worthy of the title "legendary".

noone is entitled to one, and noone should be able to AFK in LFR to get one, either. while requiring some luck, glaives in BC were special. and i cant say a metagem proc is nearly as interesting as shadowmourne.

in any case, this sense of entitlement needs to go away. everyone doesnt deserve tier if they dont do regular raiding, or to see every boss. and they surely dont deserve legendaries from LFR. at that point, it becomes the very definition of "welfare epic". might as well call it a McLegendary.

in any case, a cloak is anything but legendary, or a metagem or gem. giving everyone something means we wont see unique weapons anymore, which is unfortunate.