WoW going fully F2P

General Discussion
1 2 3 23 Next
Yes I know there are a few threads like this, but I wanted to put my 2c in. If WoW does go fully F2P, not only will they get new players, especially ones that can't get a credit card or simply don't have the funds (Cause lets face it, getting a job in this economy is hard). But they will also probably make quite a bit off of the Blizz Store from selling something like a 'supporter' pack that acts like a subscription now but could include, 15-30 day XP bonus (With limits, like say you only get the bonus applied to monster kills/quest rewards at your level), but also lower Flight Master costs (& yes 90s do still use the flight master). Plus, if it does go fully F2P, people would have more fun, especially casuals, since they wouldn't have to worry about wasted game time.

Although those where only ideas, I'm sure Blizz gets my point about making WoW fully F2P.

TLDR: If Blizz makes WoW fully F2P, they would most likely get more players plus more money from a subscription-like pack that includes limited xp bonuses & Flight Master reductions. & lets face it, casual gamers are what's going right now for games (Not gonna name them since it may be a breach on TOS)
If WoW went F2P, I would quit immediately. Especially if you could pay for things like xp boosts.
Over 8 million subscriptions, better go F2P.

It's a game that, after a decade, is still so massive that it's effectively driven a payment plan to extinction. Why would they stop that when they're the king? An aging king, sure, but king nonetheless.
If WoW went F2P, I would quit immediately. Especially if you could pay for things like xp boosts.

But they basically had paid exp boosts before.. How many people actually used it to level a character though?
What do you do for a living? Can I have whatever you do for free, whatever it is?
06/30/2013 05:55 AMPosted by Frahaleah
not only will they get new players, especially ones that can't get a credit card or simply don't have the funds (Cause lets face it, getting a job in this economy is hard).

they would most likely get more players plus more money from a subscription-like pack that includes limited xp bonuses & Flight Master reductions. & lets face it, casual gamers are what's going right now for games (Not gonna name them since it may be a breach on TOS)

So you're trying to tell me they'll make more money off people who can't afford stuff by offering stuff for sale that is completely unnecessary than they would by requiring us to pay for xpacs and subscriptions???

It was an example of what blizz could put in that bundle.
EQ1 finally went F2P last year, after 13 years. It is going to be a longgggg time before the F2P model becomes better than subs for WoW.

This is pretty much my sentiment as well.
Still want to know what OP does for a living and how I can get it for free.
But then, based on past threads I've seen here, you'd get people whining "I shouldn't have to pay for xp boosts, you should give them to all of us"
I am fully casual, and I can justify spending the $15 a month for the couple hours a week I play nowadays. If you can't, maybe its time to move on. WoW is obviously nowhere near a F2P stage.

Really? Exp boosts are your breaking point? lol - Why does it matter how quickly people level?

That all being said, while I am not a huge fan of F2P it can be done in a manner that is ok - See Sony and their games. As long as there is an OPTION to subscribe and get the entire game for free (And then Store stuff is just fluff, such as EXP boosts and the like) then I am fine with that.
@Tewa Nothing, besides playing WoW, what with how bad the job market is in the US.

@Kippet Yes, but the xp bonus in the bundle would get people paying for the game even if just for the boost.

@Tristarae & Qamaits That would be logical, if they reduced the quality of your character models, but over the game being f2p... YEAH RIGHT.
Job market isn't bad, probably just need to work on your interpersonal and interview skillz, which unfortunately WoW doesn't assist you with.
@Tristarae & Qamaits That would be logical, if they reduced the quality of your character models, but over the game being f2p... YEAH RIGHT.

I've played f2p mmo's and by and large they are complete garbage and are full of the worst type or player the internet has to offer. I have never found a free to play game that didn't require much larger amounts of money spent to excel at the game. $15/month is a far cheaper price than what is usually required to play supposedly f2p games effectively.
Blizzard's subscription segment alone brought in $275M in the first quarter of 2013. That includes WoW and Call of Duty: Elite subscriptions and some other related items. It does not include operating segment income.

Best estimate I can find is the the WoW portion of this is around 89%, which works out to around $245M. So you're saying a F2P model is going to surpass this revenue intake?

http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1104659-13-38868
Job market isn't bad, probably just need to work on your interpersonal and interview skillz, which unfortunately WoW doesn't assist you with.

Indeed. Job market is improving steadily, in fact.
If you can't afford $3.75 per week you're doing it wrong.