Questions about hunters...

Hunter
Post Limit:
Okay so I just came back from a 6 month "break" from playing (quit just before 5.1 came out, iirc). As a long time melee player I'm looking to try a ranged class for once. What would you say the pros and cons are for the Hunter class? What do you find fun about playing a hunter in PvE/PvP? What specs are good for what?
Whims new hunter thread = http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8480658242
Hunter end game PVE guide = http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8796359636
My pet thread = http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9281828737

Pro's for being hunters= ranged that are 100% mobil and have 0 dps loss when moving, have pets, never alone when questing; Scopes, cheap weapon enchants that are only good for hunters; bows/guns/xbows, hunter only weapons; Mail agility armor, enhance shamies are rare, we are quite often the only ones rolling on this type of armor; Excelent at soloing, pets can take damage, and we have tools to keep them alive against some fairly powerfull foes.

Cons, middle of the pack damage, nerfed patch after patch, no raid utility out side of mail agile gear soaking and providing missing raid buffs, constantly geting nerfed for pvp reasons, and nerfed in odd and painfull ways.

Other= easy skill floor, rediculously high skill cap (anyone can get moderate results as a hunter, or succeed in low tier PVP, it takes a ton of practice, research, and common sense to excell as one, to get 2200 or more, you have to know the class well as our powerfull abilities have several weak points, and other classes bring more to the table in terms of RBG's and arena utility than we do.) SV and BM are competitive in PVE, MM not so much.
Next patch MM is looking to be the PvP spec.
Pros: Incredibly manly, bears are scared of you/want to be your best friend, you and one furry friend can solo just about every old-world boss in the game.

Cons: The second you hit level cap on a hunter, Holinka and GC push you on a roller coaster of buffs and nerf that you can never really escape. Eventually you might vomit profusely and be allowed off to reroll for a bit, but they always drag you back.

- Hool
The bear part is probably the best.

Cons: The second you hit level cap on a hunter, Holinka and GC push you on a roller coaster of buffs and nerf that you can never really escape. Eventually you might vomit profusely and be allowed off to reroll for a bit, but they always drag you back.

Haha, the descriptions I see like these remind me of the old "Hunter Dev Dartboard" image that was running around the forums back in late BC/Pre-WOTLK. Used to have a bookmark for it, but lost it when I had to reformat :( I wish I could find the link I posted to it a few months ago.

As for roller coasters; I feel like every class rides them, whether they admit/realize it or not. WOTLK I mained a DK all expansion and that was the most rediculous thing I can remember. Every major content patch meant sweeping changes, usually totally changing the DPS rotation, DPS priorities and even whether or not a proc was worth using or not.
As for roller coasters; I feel like every class rides them, whether they admit/realize it or not. WOTLK I mained a DK all expansion and that was the most rediculous thing I can remember. Every major content patch meant sweeping changes, usually totally changing the DPS rotation, DPS priorities and even whether or not a proc was worth using or not.

In a sense you are right, but I think DKs are a poor example because A. Their original design was to have 3 tanking specs and 3 DPS specs simultaneously. Obviously impossible to balance. B. They were a new class added 2 expansions into the game.

Compared to hunters that have existed since Vanilla with totally unique mechanics compared to the other classes because we are a blend of melee and casters. Hunters continue to suffer, because we are in this limbo with a huge toolkit but with "water-down" abilities.

Sorry, off-topic.
DKs being new at the time, nor the old DK spec philosophy, have much to do with the roller coaster ride they rode. I'm talking learning an entirely new rotation, regeming/enchanting entire sets of gear; literally every major content patch. And I'm not talking minor changes either, I mean "holy crap whats the new rotation/stat weights idk my class anymore" changes.
Hunters also have had pretty big changes pretty frequently: BC brought big changes, WOTLK brought big changes, Cata brought big changes, MOP brought big changes. I fail to see how the watered down argument even holds water when the game can be boiled down to: "Do Damage Button" "Do More Damage Button" "Heal Button" & "Take Less Damage Button". Every class has some way to accomplish (essentially) the same thing.

I remember in BC all I did was mouse wheel my Steady Shot macro when raiding, and at that time all a hunter could really do to improve DPS outside of gear was mouse wheel faster.
I also fail to see how the watered down argument even holds water when the game can be boiled down to: "Do Damage Button" "Do More Damage Button" "Heal Button" & "Take Less Damage Button". Every class has some way to accomplish (essentially) the same thing.

The problem is we have so many "do damage" buttons that some are barely worth using. Stampede for example: now that stampeding pets do nothing but auto-attack, it's just a weak dps ability on an inexplicably long cooldown.

This post explains things better than I can:
http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/2013/06/button-homogenization-and-the-skill-gap/
The problem is we have so many "do damage" buttons that some are barely worth using. Stampede for example: now that stampeding pets do nothing but auto-attack, it's just a weak dps ability on an inexplicably long cooldown.

This post explains things better than I can:
http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/2013/06/button-homogenization-and-the-skill-gap/

It's pretty late here, and I'm not sure if I'll understand the article that well dozing in and out so I'll check it in the AM.

On the other note; I recall AotD behaving similarly but on a long CD, and a channel time. It was a DPS loss to use anywhere but the start of a fight, or near the end of a phase switch where combat stopped. On another note; are stampede pets effected by Lust/Hero?
06/26/2013 01:49 PMPosted by Sphyx
What do you find fun about playing a hunter in PvE/PvP?

Hunters are the original WoW hero class, designed to be the epitome of death-dealing and the glorious pinnacle to which we mortals strive. In the course of the development of WoW, it quickly became evident that the hunter class would be the lynchpin of the game and the designers ended up building 10 other support classes just to enhance the hunter experience. Nearly every piece of World of Warcraft, including the other classes, were designed specifically with the hunter in mind.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/01/13/scattered-shots-why-hunters-are-better-than-every-other-class/