Will servers still matter in 5.4?

General Discussion
With Virtual Realms connecting servers allowing guilds have people from different servers.

Flex raiding allowing cross realm raiding of current tier.

Arena teams will also be able to be cross realm.

Will servers still matter in 5.4? It's clear what the postives of Virtual Realms, Flex Raiding and Cross realm Arena teams will be, helping Dead Servers.

I'm not saying I'm against these new features but at what cost? What unintended negative consequences will develop from this decision?

Example of negative consequences is loss of server identity, server community and server pride. Some people might say aren't all those the same thing.

Server identity - KT, Tichondrius, Darkspear and Bleeding Hollow are known for pvp, Illidan and Sargeras are know for Raiding and I'm assuming all Rp servers will be linked together.

Server community - over the last five years the way I've made friends on my server is by constantly seeing the same people putting groups together in trade chat. So after grouping with these people they get a reputation, so when you see them looking for people in trace chat, you remember what guilds or raid leaders are fun to Pug a raid or RBG with. With almost all forms of end game content being able to cross realm, I'm afraid people will make level 1 alts on the big servers and spam trade chat with, cross realm LF arena 2v2, LF cross realm Flex Raid. This happens right now on KT with cross realm people trying to find cross realm RBG and Trade chat is terrible on KT because of it.

Server Pride - Right now you can see who the best arena teams on your server are and this creates rivalries between arena teams, rivalries between guilds and also rivalries between cross Faction arena teams and guilds. The cross faction rivalries are the best because these create World Pvp battles and back in WOTLK when wintergrasp was around it would create a user created dynamic the is missing today because everything is now que based.

My suggestion is NOT to stop the implementation of these features but to make sure that server community is always encouraged over these features.

How ? For flex raid , have a weekly Flex raid quest like in Wotlk, so in order to do the weekly raid 80% of the raid has to be from the same server.

For arena team only allow cross battle group arena teams.
Also allow people to create all server based arena teams that allow them to be ranked for the server like Challenge modes rank only all server groups.
We still don't know the implementation of this.

As such, I'd strongly suggest waiting for the blog post that details virtual realms prior to making decisions. And your questions may likely be in a different direction once you see more of the implementation... so patience really is the call of the day.
What Crepe said... I have not yet heard about if there is to be any difference in login queues.
What I'm hoping for with the addition of VR if we're VR'd with the same realms we're CRZ'd with:

That I'll be able to have 33 characters who can mail heirlooms to alts created on the VR servers.

That is all.

ty

EDIT: I need to reserve names!! be back later!
Hope not... Boulderfist is deader than Arthas...
We still don't know the implementation of this.

As such, I'd strongly suggest waiting for the blog post that details virtual realms prior to making decisions. And your questions may likely be in a different direction once you see more of the implementation... so patience really is the call of the day.

So the developers aren't interested in the players feedback ? what are the forums for then ?
Seems to me VR's are Server merges in every single aspect except name. So here are things I suspect with Server Merges:

1) Only the same realm types will be VR'd

2) Name changes will be needed

3) Full servers will not be VR'd at this time (only Low/Med/Low-High)

4) Servers will keep their name though will be denoted a number to show which VR they are a part of.

5) Mailing cross server will work with VR'd realms (This seems pretty obvious at this point)

I know I have taken alot of flak on these boards about the fact that Name Changes may be needed, but until a Blue posts straight out says: "NO NAME CHANGES" - then it is better to be prepared then not - The fact that this hot issue has not been debunked makes me even more worried - This issue alone should have been debunked in the announcement as one of the "selling" features of VR's.
So the developers aren't interested in the players feedback ? what are the forums for then ?

Where did he say that? He said wait and see what the blog post has to say about it. Right now all we have is a general idea of what its supposed to do and what its called.

What we don't know far exceeds what we do know. How can you give feedback on something you know next to nothing about?

Feedback on... something we don't know details of.

Let them show us what they've got in mind before we decide what direction to go in.
I hope not :)
Hello guys,
will trade be cross realm ? For example can i sent money to my alts in Hydraxis in 5.4?
I am so hoping that when I was pulled to another realm to help with a flexible raid that the "coalesced realm" beside everyone else's name in the group means that the realm I am on will be joined with the realm where I originally came from... that would be suweet!
07/02/2013 03:31 PMPosted by Crepe

Feedback on... something we don't know details of.

Let them show us what they've got in mind before we decide what direction to go in.

They have given us some details which we can give feedback on...
I DO think the concept of a server is pretty much already dead, identity-wise. At this point, it's too late to try and save it and I don't think there is any longer a good reason to save it.

If people want to find groups to do things they have more options than the TRADE-TROLL channel only to be complained at or chastised for their ilvl or proposed activities. Now, you can use OpenRaid or oQueue and actually find people that are interested in the same activities.

Connected Realms really aren't the best solution, in my mind, either. I think the server needs "communities groups" instead of guilds. Where players allow other players to join (whatever realm) and they police themselves. They do things they want as a group. They kick trolls and bad-actors out of their communities. Identity would mean something again, but it wouldn't be tied to a server.

We also need something like Google Circles. Where I have "people I raid with", "people that would like to be added to my raid team", "People I hang out with and chat", "people I avoid", "people that like to pet battle", or "people that are just in this list because I like to group people in lists". This way, I can communicate in the right group for the right things.

The bottom line is ... with LFG, LFR, etc. Servers really don't mean much anymore.
Crepe...any clue when this will hit? I noticed players with a "coalesced realm" (sp?) tag on their names. Love to get my main toons off a very high pop server ASAP...

From what Blizz has put out, combined servers will be seamless, i.e. "one big server" with no action required by players. Changes in logon ques are the real question...by individual server, or by "combined server"...
Hello guys,
will trade be cross realm ? For example can i sent money to my alts in Hydraxis in 5.4?

Once some realms are coalesced, you should be able to send mail to any realm in your Connected Realm group. I don't believe any realms have been coalesced yet.
coalesced is their term for CRZ