Fear

Paladin
How do you people deal with this? I just got my pally to 90 2 days ago, got fully geared and starting doing randoms for fun. I'm constantly feared. I used to play on my rogue and never had this problem before but I feel like I'm feared more than I'm actually in control of my character.

It wouldn't be so bad if most fears actually had to be cast but man what the hell, and they are giving warlocks a baseline AoE fear next patch? WHY ;_; I mean I know I can stun every 30 seconds but I actually have to pick a target. I just feel like leaving the BG when I see there's a priest on the enemy team.

Is this something all melee have to suffer? I have a hunter mage and boomkin and I never get feared on them like I do now. It's really frustrating lol. I remember yesterday I had gladiatorlosa on for randoms. The other team had 2 warlocks and 3 priests on it, all I heard the whole game was psychic scream psyfind and fear. Especially fear. They seem to like spamming that while they free cast on you.
How do you people deal with this? I just got my pally to 90 2 days ago, got fully geared and starting doing randoms for fun. I'm constantly feared. I used to play on my rogue and never had this problem before but I feel like I'm feared more than I'm actually in control of my character.

It wouldn't be so bad if most fears actually had to be cast but man what the hell, and they are giving warlocks a baseline AoE fear next patch? WHY ;_; I mean I know I can stun every 30 seconds but I actually have to pick a target. I just feel like leaving the BG when I see there's a priest on the enemy team.

Is this something all melee have to suffer? I have a hunter mage and boomkin and I never get feared on them like I do now. It's really frustrating lol. I remember yesterday I had gladiatorlosa on for randoms. The other team had 2 warlocks and 3 priests on it, all I heard the whole game was psychic scream psyfind and fear. Especially fear. They seem to like spamming that while they free cast on you.

Fear is a bit out of control now a days. No pun in intended, but it doesn't make it any better that us Paladin's are getting a Fear next patch. Sure I may toy around with it, see how effective it is and fear some Locks/Priest/Warriors until I get it out of my system.. but for the most part I'm not too keen on another Fear mechanic for any class, let alone ours. I'd prefer any other kind of CC.

I have some of those bad days in PvP too where I'm constantly feared and locked down before I can even do anything. The worst is when you blow CD's just to be chain feared/stun locked/cc'd to the point you'll be lucky to get a HoW or two in. The CC trinket can only do so much before you're back in the same position you were in.

To answer your question, how do I deal with it? Being use to it. It sucks when it happens, but I know every time I PvP what I'm getting into and the possibilities that may come behind it. I find myself more aggravated by a Priest fear more than anything. I don't know why since Locks heavily rely on fear the most.

I feel your pain, but all in all there is nothing we can really do. It's all up to Blizz to decide how to handle the absurd CC situation, but don't hold your breath too much. I just don't see why they can't allow DR on all forms of CC.

One aggravating moment I had was doing 2's (yes I know completely unbalanced) and went up against a Spriest/Resto Shaman and once I had no CD's, including trinket, I got Feared and then right after Hex'd... 16 seconds of CC that I had no control over while I had to watch my partner die.
They're replacing repentance with a fear?
They're replacing burden of guilt with a talent called evil is a point of view, which will let us cast turn evil on humanoids.
They're replacing burden of guilt with a talent called evil is a point of view, which will let us cast turn evil on humanoids.

..So if we're glyphed we get an instant cast fear every 8 seconds?
They're changing/removing the current glyph due to the redesigned talent.
Just went up against a team with 4 shadow priests in it.. I don't think know what to think anymore. It just makes the game.. not fun. I know that in "balanced" PVP like RBGs and arenas you have a healer to dispel for you, but I only do randoms and 2s for fun :[ I don't think I'll be able to have fun on this pally which sucks because I spent two days grinding to get him from 82-90 ;_;
Just went up against a team with 4 shadow priests in it.. I don't think know what to think anymore. It just makes the game.. not fun. I know that in "balanced" PVP like RBGs and arenas you have a healer to dispel for you, but I only do randoms and 2s for fun :[ I don't think I'll be able to have fun on this pally which sucks because I spent two days grinding to get him from 82-90 ;_;

It can be pretty discouraging to PvP for some people. However you can be just about any other class and have the same problems. Sure, we may lack proficient defensive tools compared to others, but if utilized correctly we can be unstoppable. However if you go into a group full of enemies rather alone or even with another person good chances are you're going to be CC'd and shut down. It can be just about the same for any class you play.

I queue for randoms alone about 90% of the time I PvP. I learn to avoid big cluttered crowds and usually try to take out the ones who get a little too far away from their teammates who are distracted by my team. Since I run with BoG through BG's I can usually pick out the noobs and kite them away from their team, kill them and then go back and finish up the others with my team. Doesn't always work but at times it actually does.
You just have to live with it, pretty much.

I've found if you pop your GoAK first, and hold off on Avenging Wrath/Hold Avenger, the Guardian will get a lot of people to start CCing you. Trinket the first 8 second duration CC landed on you, such as Fear or Blind or Hex, be ready to get another one, and then pop out wings and go nuts before the CC DRs wear off of you.

It's frustrating for sure. We are easily feared for being Wielders of the Light.

I want GoAK to give magic CC immunity. Hmph.

As a whole I dislike PvP in this game, which is why I stopped doing it. Competitive PvP has too many factors unrelated to individual skill that determine success and failure. But I always enjoyed random BGs, and until I fell behind on gear, played them often exactly for what you're trying to do, for fun, nothing else. I'd just log in, play 10 randoms, and call it a day. Imagine doing that in World of Warcraft, an activity for no purpose other than the enjoyment it brought.

Buhbuhdin gave some good advice. While we may not be great in competitive PvP for many comps, we've traditionally been a reckoning force in randoms because they're a state of chaos, and we thrive in chaos. I don't know if that's the case this patch, but there'd have to be some dramatic changes from 5.2 for it not to be; last tier, I was almost always top in damage and kills, with a 60 winning percentage in about 400 games - that could still be luck, assuming it's 50/50 each game, as 400 isn't a huge sample, but I'd like to think it's got more to do with at least one player who knows to target demos, to focus healers, and to protect flag carriers.

In the 10-15 player maps, one knowledgeable player can make a big difference. Remember, most players in randoms are bad and impatient, so you use that to your advantage. Countless times would I be fighting someone and then run away only to have him follow me, blindly, right into my team. Ret paladins make skilled escape artists: Divine Protection, Hand of Freedom, Emancipation, Bubble, BoP, CCs, LoH...we can get away.

Sometimes all you need is one stun to take a healer down. It's very common to walk into a statemate mob, observe astonished that no one's killing anything, and be the difference maker by stunning + winging the disc priest. As a ret paladin, you've got many supportive tools: use them. You're not a DK/warrior whose job it is to tunnel vision. Placing a BoP on your healer during a stalemate should give you the day. Your geared warrior teammate is rooted, then hand of freedom him. And of course don't forget selfless healer; great way to keep your teammates up and help your healers out. You have to play this class supportively, even in randoms, to be very effective.

For fear, I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was the leading (though not exclusive) factor in causing me to quit PvP entirely. From a design standpoint it seems like such a broken mechanic: not only does it cause you to stop doing anything, it moves you away from the caster. So, not only did you lose 8 or so seconds of control, you now have to close a gap, leading to what's effectively a double crowd control. But it is what it is, and it will never change. So you have to adjust to it, and in randoms the only way to do that is to face wizards on your terms, not theirs. You see four shadow priests, you don't go in there, simple as that. You wait for your team to go in first, and once they're engaged you come in and hope no one notices you. It sucks, but you're a ret paladin, and you will be cc'd/trained, whatever. When you pop wings or Guardian you just rang a giant alarm bell. Avoid using those until opportune moments; that advice applies even in randoms. By the end, I stopped even bothering trying to kill warlocks/spriests if I had other options, so durable they seemed to be. Focus the mage and smile. =)
Yes get used to eating fear and other CCs......it's the life of a paladin....
Instead get a feel for knowing when to trinket or bubble the fear, sometimes, it's better to just eat it and not waste your one or two (if the bubble is ready) of your only escapes, make the player fearing you think you can't get out of it....
I wish divine protection was useable while feared too....although I think hand of purity can be used when feared....I know no one uses that talent but its an option to have something you can do to help yourself when feared...

That thing the last poster said about paladins being good at escaping is true, especially if your an engineer :)
You can either A. Fear psyfiends with turn evil before they get you, or B. Anticipate a priest's fear. Seeing that you're having troubles with fears in bgs, i'm sure there are going to be multiple targets on the priest anyways, so just wait for him to fear first, and then run in, have a little timer in your head and wait for the next fear, and just jump away when you think he's about to. Most of pally's attacks are ranged anyways, so it's not like you always have to be in melee range anyways
necro
But hes a warlock. Isn't it kinda required?