Prot Pallys

Paladin
Hi friends!

I want to start tanking on my ret pally but am unsure exactly how I should be gearing. I know some tanks go haste and mastery for holding agro, and others just go dodge and parry for survivability.

My question is will I be able to tank well with mostly 483 ret gear with a sword and board? Also is it alright to mix it up, using mostly ret gear with some dodge and parry gear or should I just focus on either threat gain or survivability.

Thanks!
At the moment - things look like they could potentially change substantially in 5.4 - Haste does it all. it boosts Holy Power generation to give you more uptime on your active mitigation for survivability and you're also doing more damage and healing which generates more threat. As long as you can do the rotation properly there's no reason not to go for Haste as far as I'm aware.
07/09/2013 01:25 AMPosted by Meatpocket
I know some tanks go haste and mastery for holding agro,
No, tanks go haste or mastery for survivability, and some tanks go dodge and parry because they're stubborn.

As mentioned, there are some changes in the notes for 5.4 that will lower haste's value by some amount, but more than likely the result will either be: A) haste is still the best choice, just by a smaller margin; or B) mastery becomes the better choice. I don't see any possibility of avoidance going from the worst option to the preferred option.

To your question of starting out with 483 ret gear, you could pretty much just use your ret gear most likely. Items with crit on them won't be ideal, but anything else will be fine. And various mixes of stats (including avoidance) don't necessarily do bad, they just don't do as well. Which means, like with any other class/spec, as you gear up you may find yourself using some pieces with non-ideal stats (such as dodge or parry, or even crit) as long as they're a big enough upgrade over your current items. Preference in stats is most relevant when comparing equal level items (ie you start out taking any upgrades you can, as long as they're actual upgrades, and then you focus on one stat/build as you get more options. so you might take an avoidance item because it's like 30~40 ilevels higher than your current item, but then later you'll still be looking to replace it with a more ideal item when you can)
Um....I think people would be upset seeing a pally tank in ret gear, regardless of whether or not you make it work. Haste and Expertise can be useful, but...well, put it this way. An LFR I ran recently had a pally tank with two pieces of Haste gear. Just two. The rest was all standard tank gear. The other tank was chewing him out the ENTIRE RUN, even though he did his job just fine.

My recommendation? Try the old avoidance/mitigation stuff - dodge, parry, mastery, etc. - 'cause they work just fine, despite our some people on this forum talk. Besides making the transition to 5.4 easier for you, you can try it out and see if you like it or not. If not, try out a haste build.

As for gear, I would set your loot specialization to Protection and work on getting a full set of gear, whether from ToT, the 5.0 raids, or both. Save you getting harangued from your groups for only being mostly well-geared. People can be so touchy...^_^
People mock me for haste gear, I pull the boss and all the trash and solo-tank them to death.

They don't mock me after that.
People mock me for haste gear, I pull the boss and all the trash and solo-tank them to death.

They don't mock me after that.

And people don't understand why haste tanking is getting a nerf next patch...
Um....I think people would be upset seeing a pally tank in ret gear, regardless of whether or not you make it work. Haste and Expertise can be useful, but...well, put it this way. An LFR I ran recently had a pally tank with two pieces of Haste gear. Just two. The rest was all standard tank gear. The other tank was chewing him out the ENTIRE RUN, even though he did his job just fine.

Get to hit/exp cap, amp your haste as much as possible with mastery being secondary, and get tank stats last. You'll be fine.

And people don't understand why haste tanking is getting a nerf next patch...

As of this point it's on the PTR. They also have SoI not returning mana for any spec, which we know is a f*cking joke, so I wouldn't really make any predictions based on PTR patch notes.
As of this point it's on the PTR. They also have SoI not returning mana for any spec, which we know is a f*cking joke, so I wouldn't really make any predictions based on PTR patch notes.

Well, at least someone has a brain in their heads. The way some people are talking, you'd think they just decided to remove shields from the game or something.
Well, at least someone has a brain in their heads. The way some people are talking, you'd think they just decided to remove shields from the game or something.

Actually upon further reading their buffing GbtL for prot to account for the mana regen nerf on SoI. At 50% haste we'd still be able to maintain our rotation.

My recommendation? Try the old avoidance/mitigation stuff - dodge, parry, mastery, etc. - 'cause they work just fine, despite our some people on this forum talk. Besides making the transition to 5.4 easier for you, you can try it out and see if you like it or not. If not, try out a haste build.

As for gear, I would set your loot specialization to Protection and work on getting a full set of gear, whether from ToT, the 5.0 raids, or both. Save you getting harangued from your groups for only being mostly well-geared. People can be so touchy...^_^

the opposite of this.

Uh, no. For one thing, Expertise (as well as hit) is still a priority regardless of which stat you focus on. Because even if you try to stack avoidance that doesn't change the fact that a very substantial portion of your survivability comes from active mitigation (ie SotR), which means that your success as a tank will still depend on your rotation, using your holy power generators and hitting SotR. So you still want the hit and expertise caps to ensure that your holy power generators land. Expertise and hit are found on tank gear, they're not dps-only stats.

You can try to make the argument about haste, but to try to lump expertise and/or hit in there is just plain wrong. Also, so what if some random dbag was yelling at a prot pally for having some haste items. The only thing that tells us is that the guy doing the complaining didn't know what he was talking about. You're basically saying that just because other people don't know how prot pallies work that he should intentionally gear for his worst stats. If some random guy in LFR starts yelling at me because I don't have any spirit on my tank gear does that mean I should start collecting holy gear and reforging for spirit just to satisfy people who know nothing about my class?

You're literally telling him that he should listen to the people who don't know what they're talking about instead of listening to the people that actually do.

Right now, haste is the best stat for us after hit and expertise caps, mastery is a bit behind it and avoidance is dead last. Next tier will either be exactly the same with the gap between haste and mastery smaller, or mastery will be the best stat with haste a bit behind and avoidance will almost definitely still be dead last. So focus on the hit and expertise caps, they're the most important thing. Then either focus on haste or focus on mastery, avoid dodge, parry and crit whenever possible. And get however much (or little) stam as you and your healers need to keep you alive.