Ret is actually fun

Paladin
I've been playing WoW since 2005. I know a lot of people say that and are lying. But I have. I've always had a strict "No Paladins" rule for myself, as I saw that EVERYONE had a paladin. They, to this day, seem like one of the most played classes and have always had the reputation as being very easy or "face roll" as it were. Because of this, I've always gravitated towards warriors and rogues and the like for my melee choices.

Recently however, I've decided to give retribution a try just on a whim. And I got to say that I'm impressed. It's actually a thinking mans spec to play, requiring you to think about what you're doing, rather than pressing 2 buttons and GG for the win like prot used to be/still is. The MoP ret paladin has opening my eyes to how fun the paladin can be, as long as you're not playing protection, which in my opinion, is still very easy and sleepy time. So yeah, ret is fun and I'm glad I tried it out.
07/21/2013 11:00 PMPosted by Valrolg
The MoP ret paladin has opening my eyes to how fun the paladin can be, as long as you're not playing protection, which in my opinion, is still very easy and sleepy time.

Ret and Prot play very similarly now.

But yes, Ret is very fun.
Ret is the !@#$. I'm glad I switched from DK.
Ret is awesome fun but prot isn't as faceroll as you think. Most anyone can be mediocre, but to be a truly exceptional tank it takes a lot more than a few buttons.
A 5 year old could play ret, there's no doubt about that. But introduce situational awareness and boom. Suddenly you're the hero saving the lives of your comrades while kicking !@#.

Sadly at the beginning of every PvP season rets get nerfed hard so everyone gears their holy specs first. Later on in the season you see them bounce back and make an appearance though.
Ret's been getting better and better over the years from a gameplay standpoint, it's one of the reasons I've kept playing for as long as I have. My primary specc for my class of choice just gets more fun as time goes on.

We've gone from having NO active abilities via the seal system to having a great interactive rotation via the 5 holy power system which is a huge step up from the 3 holy power system which was a huge step up from Wrath's faceroll system.

All in all the specc has gotten better over time. It's a nice reward to those of us that stuck with it.
Being in a high end guild has always made ret more enjoyable.

Mainly because of how paladins have scaled with gear over the years.

Vanilla Pally with no gear = wet noodle

Vanilla pally with 8/8 judgement, hand of nef, red dragon protector and shard of the fallen star = Demi God