World of Warcraft Free To Play 2014

General Discussion
It's not going F2P.

Not any more than the last 1000 posts on the subject.

It's a curious thought? Think about it? Why would they release a in game store to purchase for real money while asking players to pay $15 dollars a month plus money for expansions. Let's take a look at one particular game in general. RIFT. Free to play with a in game transaction store. This is the same direction that RIFT went. "NOOO Rift will never go free to play" and now where is it? Now of course This is just an assumption and I dont usually post or read in the general forums about particular subjects like these but my friends put up an interesting point and we are gambling on 2014.

Are you not curious as to why we are taking this route? The only other reason I can think of is because of the millions of subs lost but that can't be that big of a reason.

It's not the same direction that Rift went. Rift started out hoping to be the next WoW, even using Azeroth in their advertising. It was selling so horribly that they dropped the box price to under 10 bucks and when that didn't help they went free to play, like every other WoW killer has had to do.

We've had a cash shop for year now. They added transmog items recently and everyone is acting as though it's a cash shop comparable to Rift or LotR or SW:ToR. It's not the same. You aren't being asked to buy access to content or for upgrades. You can buy pets, mounts, and a hat to transmog.

Bliz is undoubtedly testing the waters to see if they can make up for lost subs with more offerings on the store. But making up for lost subs is a long way from throwing out the fee from 8 million subscribers hoping to make it all up on the cash shop.

Because they like money. Because they can. Because people will not only accept the yoke of a subscription fee while being strapped with a microtransaction feed bag, they'll actually defend Blizzard for doing so and speak against people who point out how very unprecedented it is.

Yes, entirely unprecedented, you know, except for the last several years where Bliz has had a cash shop.
Head pieces, Potions, small talk about other transactions for real money? Are we going free to play in 2014 blizzard? Anyone else feel like this will happen? My bet is it will be announced at blizzcon.

Nope and if they do announce it.. I am done with this game ...
>9 billion active subscriptions
Better go free-to-play.

It's not the same direction that Rift went. Rift started out hoping to be the next WoW, even using Azeroth in their advertising. It was selling so horribly that they dropped the box price to under 10 bucks and when that didn't help they went free to play, like every other WoW killer has had to do.

Your rather wrong on how well Rift did.

Rift did surprisingly well actually. It had around 1mill subscribers when it went F2P. That's hardly a failure in P2P MMO terms (outside of WoW).

It's just that F2P models are much more profitable then P2P models unless you have a massive subscriber base like WoW, even then it's highly possible that a F2P WoW would generate more then the current P2P version.
I love that a transmog helm suddenly gets folks talking about how WoW is going F2P, while multiple pay transactions have been available for many years.
World of Warcraft Free To Play 2024

FTFY
I don't even need to read the OP or whatever he may have posted trying to justify his speculation. Flat out, not gonna happen.
WoW is not going free to play they are trying to make the money back from lost subs without raising the monthly cost.
07/24/2013 08:33 PMPosted by Leeton
It's not illogical to suspect a shift to a free-to-play model considering the larger emphasis Blizzard is putting on micro-transactions lately.

Blizzard hasn't but a larger emphasis on micro-transations lately. What they did was add a few new items in an online store that has been around for years now. Hardly what one would call an emphasis.

The store used to be cosmetic-only. We now know that experience-boosting flasks and lesser charms are on the way.

If that's not an increased emphasis, I don't know what it.
Thank GOD another thread about this.. I was getting worried when I only saw 3 others on the main page here. I can rest easy knowing this dead horse isn't catching a break any time soon.
The cash store has been around for a long time now, it's nothing new. Adding new items to it does not imply anything about the future of wow subscriptions.
Rift did surprisingly well actually. It had around 1mill subscribers when it went F2P. That's hardly a failure in P2P MMO terms (outside of WoW).

It's just that F2P models are much more profitable then P2P models unless you have a massive subscriber base like WoW, even then it's highly possible that a F2P WoW would generate more then the current P2P version.

f2p profits are GIANT compared to p2p games. The reason why almost every game out there has a f2p option, is because MOST players prefer free-2-play.

WoW is never going to give up the subscription model. But, there will be a f2p option. So, those who don't want to pay a subscription will still be able to play and support development for everyone. It's not either/or. Both will be available so players can choose.

There are tons of games that have both a subscription option and a f2p option. WoW will be far from the first game to do that.
07/24/2013 07:30 PMPosted by Spartaxan
It's a curious thought? Think about it? Why would they release a in game store to purchase for real money while asking players to pay $15 dollars a month plus money for expansions.

Because they're being pressured by the company that owns them into surrendering 3/4 of their liquid assets, putting Activision Blizzard on the whole into lean times. It's a great way to offset that loss.
>9 billion active subscriptions
Better go free-to-play.

Jesus since when did the subscription base jump up by 8991 million? :O