Leveling as Holy?

Paladin
I want to make a Horde paladin but I want to heal on my paladin. Is it viable to level as holy? I know I can level as Ret and switch to holy eventually but I'd rather take my time and gradually learn how to play the spec.
Yes it is viable to lvl as holy, but it is a lot slower unless you dungeon all the way up.
Yes it is viable to lvl as holy, but it is a lot slower unless you dungeon all the way up.

As Dioxisis said, you can level through dungeons quite well. A healer usually can get near instant queues for dungeons, and can use that to chain dungeons to level.

However, if you want to be able to quest, there is what is known as the "Shockadin". Take a look here for more info:

http://flavortextlore.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/not-mad-just-disappointed-shockadins-and-the-art-of-scolding-your-foes-to-death/
its pretty awesome, I'm only 44 on mine (all mail boa's minus trinkets) and the dmg is pretty stupid for holy, denounce hits way hard crits for 1300 lol you'll out damage the dps most of the time on boss fights. I actually think its quite fast to lvl, main spell is 1.5sec cast and 3 instants, granted I'm only 44 I can't say much for outlands and after. very enjoyable IMO with dungs/bgs its a hoot watching people try and kill you then holy shocking for 80% your hps and blowing them up with denounce and HoW....

Only downsides I've really noticed is the lack of gear, like having to roll in ele boa's cause theres no plate besides pvp shoulders and you'll be running around in all cloth/leather caster gear because theres 0 plate in dungeons
I leveled through Pandaria 85 - 90 as Holy. I also leveled mid-70 to 85 as Holy.
I really wouldn't recommend it, personally. Even set as a Shockadin (glyphing Harsh Words, Holy Shock, etc.) it was quite slow. I think it's 'cause things level out in Pandaria as you're nearing end-game.
I didn't run any MoP dungeons because I had no experience with healing at the time, so it was 100% solo questing.
If you're running dungeons constantly due to fairly quick Healer queues, then that would probably make a difference.

I ended up kicking myself later on, because the daily 90s quest grinds are slow, too. I ended up just picking up Retribution as my off-spec (instead of a "PvP Holy" and "PvE Holy") and it makes it ridiculously better. Had I done Retribution, or even Protection early on it would have made leveling faster and cut the learning curve a bit.
Northrend will be a lot of fun and a breeze
07/23/2013 11:13 PMPosted by Dioxisis

Dungeon all the way is what I did when leveling my other other Paladin. As soon as I could queue I went Holy and just healed my way to 85.

I need to level her sometime - probably also just by healing dungeons.
Shokadin isn't bad early on, but it does start to fall off after in the later half. Towards the end, it's still viable to quest in, but it's definitely not as efficient as if you were to level in Ret.
I leveled this Pally with just my Holy Spec, it wasnt as slow many people make it out to be, from my exp, my time played to get this character from 1-90 was around 4-6 days invested in just leveling.
85 to 90 is a drag as a Shockadin for killing mobs questing.
You have an almost 0 chance of dying but Ret is much faster.
If you plan on chaining dungeons then Holy is fine for 85 to 90.
Only point Holy slows down in killing power is MoP. I leveled my pally as Holy to 90, and I had alot of fun with it.
Only point Holy slows down in killing power is MoP. I leveled my pally as Holy to 90, and I had alot of fun with it.