LOVING My Ret Pally

Paladin
I've leveled every class to at least 85, and ret feels the most solid and well built. I can survive longer and DPS harder than on any other toon I have, including the ones of equal gear. The utility is mind blowing compared to other classes. Most other specs can only save their team mate with a well timed CC, or weak proc heal. It just doesn't feel as effective as a huge FoL heal bomb + 3 pt WoG + HoS.

It's an easy spec to learn but hard to master. Most people you see playing ret will drop like a fly.
I have had my ret pally sitting at level 87 for some time now. After playing my friends ret (IL463), I'm determined to get mine 90.

51K sustained dps in a simple LFR. . . and getting trumped in the battleground grind isn't as bad as my rogue, hunter, lock, shaman, priest, or mage (oh and a monk).

Most enjoyable class of 2013.

... Yes, I've had no life the last 3 1/2 months.

Stay frosty
First toon I ever got to level cap a few xpacs ago and has been my main ever since. Play what you love and I love playing my Ret Pally!
As far as all the threads and discussion you see about our DPS being low, I have always had a theory this was due to how our mastery works.

People are used to playing hard hitters like Death Knights and Warlocks, getting ridiculous crits with Obliterate and Chaos Bolt. Ret Pally damage looks lower due to being balanced around our mastery. All our hardest hitting moves get that extra 30-40% damage as holy damage, but it's not included in the initial hit but rather tacked on behind it.

Someone could easily miss the 40k damage following a 100k TV in the midst of all the seal procs and censure ticks. I personally never notice the mastery damage physically on my screen, I know it's there and it's a huge contributor to our damage, I just never notice it till I poke around in recount. It would make sense someone would think we don't hit "hard".
I have no idea how you guys do it and if you could tell me, I would greatly appreciate it. I felt the exact same way as the OP while I was leveling from 1-89, but when I hit 90 my experience completely changed. I played a paladin religiously throughout BC and Wrath and quit during Cataclysm because of Holy Power. I started this guy up again when I came back a few months ago and I just can't stand it. I can't for the life of me get used to Holy Power no matter how hard I try. Doesn't matter how I view it, it just irritates the hell out of me, and having several abilities on the same cooldown doesn't make it any better. Some insight into how I could find this class fun again would be awesome because I sure don't want to level through Outlands and MOP on another character. :(
All for the awesomeness of Pallys!
Pallys have always been my absolute favorite class, and
they always will be...

Ret Pally!!!
I love playing my female ret paladin.
I have no idea how you guys do it and if you could tell me, I would greatly appreciate it. I felt the exact same way as the OP while I was leveling from 1-89, but when I hit 90 my experience completely changed. I played a paladin religiously throughout BC and Wrath and quit during Cataclysm because of Holy Power. I started this guy up again when I came back a few months ago and I just can't stand it. I can't for the life of me get used to Holy Power no matter how hard I try. Doesn't matter how I view it, it just irritates the hell out of me, and having several abilities on the same cooldown doesn't make it any better. Some insight into how I could find this class fun again would be awesome because I sure don't want to level through Outlands and MOP on another character. :(

I was in the same boat as you, my friend. I hated ret ever since Vanilla always prefering Rogue, Hunter, Warrior, and DK for PvP and PvE aspects. The one thing I was able to do was relate this character to that of a rogue except that we have a mana pool instead of a energy pool. The reason you most likely hate your class is because you dont have enough of the following stats. Haste, Crit, and Mastery are big ups in your DPS when it comes to playing a pally. As for PvP I have not the slightest clue, but I can say this is my third pally and with the holy power I find it a good challenge seeing as I am now relating it to a Plate wearing rogue. Build the combo points, spend them, then repeat. We have 1 skill we have to keep up at all times, just like SnD on a rogue. And I have to tell you, seeing this class in action this far has been great! I love the tanking and I love ret! To be far I was very worried about this class in the beginning but I am glad I stuck through it again to figure out the niches on how to play. I can say I will be Maining this character for a long time, even if they do nerf the class, seeing as prot will always be my all time favorite!
08/04/2013 07:19 AMPosted by Asentrix
relating it to a Plate wearing rogue.

This is unfortunate. I've hated rogues since I began playing because of combo points. I guess it's time to find another class. D:
I've been playing on and off since vanilla and the holy power system is great really, Ret was awkward and bland back then
Probably because I created this character after holy power was already in place, it feels completely natural to me. And I love the way it works.

I dinged 90 over the weekend and, as expected, am taking my lumps in battlegrounds because I'm undergeared. It's a little like doing sub 20 bgs against everyone with heirloom weapons. Been here before so I knew what I was in for.

Once I'm decked out in full Malev and have a Tyrannical weapon, I expect to be back to my old butt-kicking self.
Glad you enjoy Ret, OP.

Don't let the whiners bring you down. In my opinion, this is the best Ret has ever been.
Ret is definitely in a great spot right now PvE and PvP wise! As said earlier ret scales with gear, so if you're not geared don't get upset if you don't do good, I promise you when you get gear you'll find yourself doing great :)
Ret pally with gear - awful
ret pally with gear and utilizes offensive, defense, hands, support - amazing.
I disagree.
Yeah rets are very good right now. Their consistent buffs over the expansion and their gear scaling makes them not suck so much, but beware the reason rets are thriving right now is not because ret pallys are so amazing. It's because the people they can play with are thriving. Like hunters, unh dks, ferals, maybe a couple other classes. If they all get nerfed you'll see a decline in pallys
Ret pally with gear - awful
ret pally with gear and utilizes offensive, defense, hands, support - amazing.
I disagree.

In terms of DPS, obviously it isn't bad. But if you're not utilizing your support spells, you're only only gimping your raid.