What's best to macro with Wings on same GCD?

Paladin
Post Limit:
They're not always used together. The abilities don't all have the same CD and so don't always line up. Bestial Wrath is on a 1 min CD, for example, and is used by itself often.

Bestial Wrath and Synapse Springs have the same cooldown, and Blood Fury lines up perfectly with every other use, so macroing all three together seems like it would be perfectly functional. Even Rapid Fire's cooldown would line up perfectly for every third use. Trinket cooldowns do depend on the trinket, though.
08/04/2013 07:58 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
Engineering tinkers and on-use trinkets interfere with each other.

Yeah, you're right.

...that's really the core strength of Ret's burst capability, as several other classes have burst CDs that are on-global.

Aren't pretty much all DPS specs' DPS burst CDs off-global?

Warrior: Bloodbath, Recklessness, Skull Banner
Warlock: Dark Soul (all 3 variations)
Mage: Alter Time, Presence of Mind, Mirror Images
Druid: Incarnation, Nature's Vigil, Celestial Alignment
Hunter: Bestial Wrath, Readiness
Rogue: Shadow Blades, Adrenaline Rush, Vendetta
Shaman: Ascendance
Death Knight: Pillar of Frost, Unholy Frenzy, Empower Rune Weapon
Monk: Tigereye Brew, Energizing Brew
Priest: (no DPS CDs)

I don't see how Paladin's AW, GoAK, HA, and SW have any advantage over the abilities above in terms of being off-GCD. It all functions the same. And most of the classes above DO macro an on-GCD attack ability with the burst CD as part of their standard burst rotation. I gave a bunch of examples on the first page (e.g. Presence of Mind + Pyroblast).
08/04/2013 08:16 PMPosted by Keten
They're not always used together. The abilities don't all have the same CD and so don't always line up. Bestial Wrath is on a 1 min CD, for example, and is used by itself often.

Bestial Wrath and Synapse Springs have the same cooldown, and Blood Fury lines up perfectly with every other use, so macroing all three together seems like it would be perfectly functional. Even Rapid Fire's cooldown would line up perfectly for every third use. Trinket cooldowns do depend on the trinket, though.

Yes you're right, you could macro Synapse Springs with Bestial Wrath. Chances are in the course of a 8 minute fight, there will be several instances where multiple abilities happen to be on CD at the same time. Even Rabid's 1.5min CD would line up with something eventually. You get much better control having a separate button for most of them though. I doubt anybody would want to NOT have Rapid Fire as its own button, for instance, since you'd only use it if you weren't in danger of being focus-capped.
...I could have sworn to there being more, but I don't play my alts frequently enough anymore, I guess. However, Mage's Mirror Images are on the global, actually; Shaman's elemental totems are also on-global, and the Fire Ele is particularly core to their burst cycle.
08/04/2013 08:36 PMPosted by Skiiyicicle
Aren't pretty much all DPS specs' DPS burst CDs off-global?

Most cooldowns are off-GCD, but not all. Fire Elemental Totem, for example.
...I could have sworn to there being more, but I don't play my alts frequently enough anymore, I guess. However, Mage's Mirror Images are on the global, actually; Shaman's elemental totems are also on-global, and the Fire Ele is particularly core to their burst cycle.

Most cooldowns are off-GCD, but not all. Fire Elemental Totem, for example.

Sorry, I just busted out like a gazillion examples off the top of my head....you are probably right on Mirror Images.

You are also right about Fire Elemental, and that is why I didn't include it in the list above. All classes have many big moves that are on GCD as well, such as Dragon Roar. The whole point of my OP was to find out what on-GCD ability goes well with the off-GCD abilities. For Warriors, it'd be Bloodbath (off-gcd) + Dragon Roar (on-gcd) since both are 1 min CDs.

Since you both brought up Fire Elemental Totem, I should note that Elemental Shamans typically setup their opening burst this way:

(Cast Bloodlust and/or Stormlash Totem if raid leader calls for it).
Cast Flame Shock
Cast Lava Burst (to get it on CD, since Ascendance activates it anyway)
Drop Fire Elemental Totem

Hit the following macro:
/cast Lifeblood, Berserking, Synapse Springs, etc.
/cast Ascendance
/cast Lava Burst

Since the Ascendance macro ends in Lava Burst, you go immediately into the LB cast right as you enter Ascendance, which is what you always want to do for a single-target boss fight. Follow up with LB spam until Ascendance runs out. I suppose you could have a version that goes into Lava Beam if you really wanted to, but I don't know of any boss fights that require you to open with a burst that involves AOE.

The Elemental Shaman burst above is an example where you'd pretty much tack on LB at the end of the macro no matter what, since it is always ideal to go immediately into LB. Similarly, Ret would ideally want to go immediately into HoW, but that isn't possible on the same GCD unfortunately.
Personally I just don't like tying my off-GCD cooldowns to an on-GCD ability. Stuff that lines up nicely together and is off-GCD, go for it. However, I recently switched to Ret from Prot (this tier) so I'm used to hitting stuff (SoTR) off-GCD and not missing a beat on my regular rotation.

If I had to pick something on-GCD to macro it to, I guess I would combine it with my Synapse Springs + Execution Sentence macro. However, ES is not always off-CD at the same time as Wings. Sometimes I delay my (in-between) ES by up to 10 or 15 seconds to wait for a trinket proc (knowing I can still catch the tail end of AW on the next one). If I were to combine it all, that would result in multiple keypresses of the same macro within a 10-15 second timespan, just for the sake of saving 1 keybind.

As I said this is just personal preference, but as I continue to push myself to be better at this game, I find that I am better off having more control over my abilities and when to activate them. YMMV.
I suppose you could have a version that goes into Lava Beam if you really wanted to, but I don't know of any boss fights that require you to open with a burst that involves AOE.

You could use Ascendance on trash. :P

But yeah, normally Ascendance is always, only, ever used with Lava Burst because of how they interact. Macroing them like that makes some sense. I just don't feel like that logic really works for Ret.
If this were PvP, I would consider your first move being Crusader Strike after AW+HA, as the 2-piece ret bonus grants 1000 pvp power for 6 seconds.