DK Tanking FAQ - 4.3 [NOT CURRENT]

Death Knight
Post Limit:
Prev 1 50 51 52 55 Next
04/17/2012 05:41 AMPosted by Schlampë
Im one of the top ranked dk's on us servers

04/17/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Schlampë
Lichborne helpful? Immune to Sleep / Charm / and Fear. Please show me where a boss in ds Sleeps you Charms you or Fears you?

Self-proclaiming top ranked tank... Doesn't know how Lichborne works...

Seems legit

P.S. This is just an alt so I could care less how poor my spec, gear, etc. You may trash on it all you want.
04/17/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Euliat
Have fun with that again when you start tanking with a monk. :P

NOPE.
Just going to let Communism tell me how to be pro and keep my hands clean.

Thanks forum guys for extending the post cap. :D
So, Communism is going to tell you how to be a pro, but you're the one who's going to write SwagSim and tell Communism how to be a pro? :P

04/17/2012 01:36 PMPosted by Lichloathe
Thanks forum guys for extending the post cap. :D
Probably not even going to write SwagSim tbh.
04/17/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Lichloathe
Probably not even going to write SwagSim tbh.

I can understand that. I thought about converting the one I just wrote into C, but then I thought to myself, why on earth would I write a second one (third, technically)? Much less having to debug it.

Plus, monks are probably pretty volatile right now anyway, so it would be a waste of time.
Plus there are things I would much rather spend my time on developing (like mah business and fitness), so, you know. I just don't have the desire to do any major theorycrafting anymore.

I'm not even sure I'm going to keep playing WoW. I want to play a Monk, but having to level one up just really turns me off to it. I hate leveling so much.
Euliat i think youre the one who needs help, instead of giving it out.

I don't know how you did it but you managed to be wrong about everything.
Euliat i think youre the one who needs help, instead of giving it out.

You have 26 exper? Sense when does a tank need exper cap? Shure we miss and get parryed and dodged but we still get healed from deathstrike. You reforged 194 parry into hit? That dosent make sense and its also a waste sense 193 hit will not do much.

You have 37.15 mastery? Im one of the top ranked dk's on us servers and 30 mastery is more then enough espacaly when i can have a 30k+ blood shield on any fight but Hagara and Spine.

You have 11.03% Dodge and 21.34% Parry? Yet you have only 94 parry reforged into dodge? What happened to deminishing returns and keeping dodge / parry 2-3% diff.

I dont understand why you have 7 Puissant Elven Peridot. We dont need to be stacking stam and if a dk does stam stack there stupid, and you have 725 stam from gems / enchants? Shure 2-3 help if socket bonus is mastery or if it gives a helpful socket bonus but 7 is unnessary when you can have 50 mastery gems.

362 of youre parry was reforged into Mastery? It shoulda been reforged into Dodge first and mastery second if there is dodge on the item. 159 of your parry was reforged into exper, once agean useless. You reforged youre Speciman Slicer into crit -> exper? Should reforge into crit -> Dodge. Idk what build you follow but its stupid, please learn the popular dk blood build chosen by the community before telling others how to play.

Now about youre talent tree.

You took Improved Blood Tap? Useful yes i can agree to that in SOME fights but utterly useless. You only put 2 points in Sent of Blood but you put 2 points in Bladed armor? You should have 0 in Bladed Armor and 3 in Sent of Blood.You dint take Amob might? If youre in a 10 man you should, and in a 25 man not manditory but usefull sense its 66% of Mp5 and all its missing is the mana regen to be Mp5.

Once i saw you took Lichborne i laughed.
Sense when is it needed on ANY boss in DS? You took Icy Reach? Sense when do we need to icy touch when we have outbreak? And for the Sappers on Warmaster the current Chain of Ice range is enough withought Icy reach.

Youre glyphs, mostly there fine but some things can be changed to make it better. First off Rune strike 10% crit isint that usefull, 50% more DND is more useful then a 10% crit chance.

Glyph of Rune Wep is useless.
If you need it to hold agro then its because of your Deminishing returns from youre high parry and no dodge. It should be replaced with Glyph of Vamp Blood. 20% raid wide healing > 20k more hp and 10% raid wide healing. Giving the healers 10% more healing done while Tranq / Hyrm / Spirit totem are used helps alot > more hp. In Conclusion, youre the one who needs help with tanking, not others.

You're dumber than eating moldy bread.
Thanks for the 5-man stuff, will help me out a ton.
Who knew blood-caked was so bad? :)
Thanks for the 5-man stuff, will help me out a ton.
Who knew blood-caked was so bad? :)

I wish the developers knew how bad it is. :(
04/19/2012 04:38 PMPosted by Lichloathe
I wish the developers knew how bad it is. :(

But it procs Gurthalak!

Seriously, though, it's complete garbage. I can't understand why on earth there is a pure DPS talent in a tier that can be reached by tanks only. If it affected the core abilities we use in some manner (like adding a proc on DS), then I could maybe see it being there.
It wouldn't be so bad that it's a pure DPS talent if it actually contributed worthwhile DPS.
Does the Strength % bonus from abomination's might affect parry?
Not sure if it has been answered in this thread but, I don't really want to look through 51 pages lol.

I'm working on a Death Knight tank, feel free to criticize.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/detheroc/Haj%C3%AF/simple

Ignore the abundance of stam gems and the low quality gems.
Stam gems are because I que'd for lfr as a tank as soon as got enough ilvl (didn't want to be completely one shot and what not). I que'd in with my friend who is a full heroic gear druid tank, so don't feel too bad for that lfr group. :P

And the low quality gems are because I've been working on my Jewel Crafting, and didn't feel like buying better gems since I already have some (low quality, but get the job done till actual raiding).

Please do comment on anything I could improve on. :)
04/24/2012 08:40 PMPosted by Kzero

Yes. 1 strength gives .27 parry rating.

However, the amount of parry rating that it adds is completely negligible and the only reason you should ever take Abomination's Might is if your raid group doesn't have the 20% AP buff.

Move the 2 points out of Virulence and put them into Epidemic. Glyph of DS does more single-target DPS than glyphs of RS and HS. You might want to consider that swap.

Yes. 1 strength gives .27 parry rating.

However, the amount of parry rating that it adds is completely negligible and the only reason you should ever take Abomination's Might is if your raid group doesn't have the 20% AP buff.

I suppose I don't need Abomination's Might.
I'll probably those points over to Butchery, I honestly didn't read the effect past the first sentence. lol. :(
I've been losing out on lots of free runic power.

Move the 2 points out of Virulence and put them into Epidemic. Glyph of DS does more single-target DPS than glyphs of RS and HS. You might want to consider that swap.

I'll move the Virulence points into Epidemic, I was using icy touch and plague strike to refresh the diseases, and using the Virulence talents to help out in DPS, but after reading a few posts, it really is ineffective to use up those runes on something other than DS.

And I will make that DS glyph swap for HS.

I appreciate the insight!

On a side note...I just noticed a terrible mistake on my warrior's talents for arms.....
04/24/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Kzero
I suppose I don't need Abomination's Might.

Depends on what you run. If it will primarily be 5-mans, keep it, because there's no assuring that the group will have the buff.

04/24/2012 09:15 PMPosted by Kzero
I've been losing out on lots of free runic power.

24 RP / min is not exactly all that awesome. In a group setting, you are hardly ever the one who actually lands the killing blow to get the 20 RP anyway.
Right now I'm running 5-mans till I gear up. I'm gonna go into raiding soonish.
I don't know what the comp is gonna be actually so I'll leave it on for now, and its going to be 10 mans, so I do believe I should leave it on.And I meant the runic power gain is a lot compared than having Abomination's Might, when someone else in your group is able to provide the buff.

What I will do soon is take a point out of bladed armor, and move my points in virulence and put it all into epidemic
You only need 2/3 Epidemic, technically. This makes your diseases last 29s, and Outbreak has a 30s CD.

Still, 24 RP / min is pretty small. It's an extra rune via RE every 2.78 minutes. I'm not saying to not take the talent, but I'm just letting you know that you're more than likely valuing it too much.
I'm saying its probably better than getting abomination's might when someone else in the raid can provide that 20% buff.
Oh, then yes.