Blindsight's How to Choose a Server Guide

New Player Help and Guides
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
08/19/2011 10:30 AMPosted by Avanna
As a side note, if you go with a PvP server, never, EVER sell anything on the AH with your main toons. Reserve that activity to a banker toon that you never play. Keep it level 1 forever.

What's the reason for you suggesting this? Did someone start stalking you or something just because you outbid or undercut them on the AH? And if so, why would being on a PvP server be worse than a PvE server for such a situation. If someone's going to stalk you they'll find ways to do it on either server, then you can report them.

No, I know what the person is talking about, although I'm not an AH nut myself if you post things in the AH on your main, if you're hated by anyone for whatever reason they won't buy your items.

For one, I don't see WHY someone would bother to read the poster's name, but whatever I guess.

Also the thing I find ironic about bank alts is how it's supposed to be so people who don't know who your main is and you can post without worrying someone might not buy your item. However, most people always name their bank alts something correlating with their main characters name.

For example, the majority of people that make bank alts if they had my name they would probably name their bank alt: Mindbank. I never understood that, isn't the point of having that toon so people don't know who you are? Lol
, isn't the point of having that toon so people don't know who you are?

No, the point of a bank alt is being able to keep your main characters out questing and in the field longer so you don't have to trek back to a city every single time you want to throw something on the auction house or check your transactions. It's not to hide your name.
11/05/2010 09:51 AMPosted by Frejya
First and foremost: Limit your search to servers that are as close to you (physically) as possible. Closer servers will have better latency, and thus deliver a better play experience. WoWWiki has a great list by datacentre:

Each battlegroup usually has 3 different time zones. Would the timezone effect the area its in at all/ thus effecting my latency or would it be like I would have the same world latency on all servers in the battlegroup? Regardless of timezone.
Awesome. ^^
10/02/2011 03:12 PMPosted by Lolrofl
Each battlegroup usually has 3 different time zones. Would the timezone effect the area its in at all/ thus effecting my latency or would it be like I would have the same world latency on all servers in the battlegroup? Regardless of timezone.

Timezone of realm =/= timezone of server location. For example one of the realms I play on is hosted out of the California data center (Pacific timezone) but the time that the realm clock is set to is the Eastern timezone. Since the realm is hosted out of the California datacenter, it still has the same latency as any of the other realms hosted out of that datacenter, regardless of what timezone their internal clock is set to.

In general the closer the data center is to your location, the better the latency. However, if you have a decent DSL or Cable internet service and live in the contiguous US states (aka the lower 48) or the southern parts of Canada, then what data center your realm is in shouldn't affect your latency by more than a few points.

Nice post . Thanks, helped a lot.
"Leatrix Latency Fix"

Probably being paranoid, just cautious installing a program that could be a keylogger. Should i be so worried about this one?
Comments removed so I don't look like a crazy woman yelling at phantom posts.
12/11/2011 10:52 AMPosted by Avanna

But you already do and we love you anyway <3

More on-topic with the thread: is Frejya going to update the second post with current information about battlegroups? Nothing is battleground-restricted now.
Thank you for the helpful hints about finding a server! :)
Been trying to find a new server to go Alliance, gotten close to some servers just trying to find the right one. (Been trying to find a new server since middle of wotlk, sense my main server from Vanilla till then died out during Wotlk :( Such a shame, so much fun and nice people were on there)
Hopefully I find the right one soon :)
12/13/2011 04:36 PMPosted by Icedragon

But you already do and we love you anyway <3

More on-topic with the thread: is Frejya going to update the second post with current information about battlegroups? Nothing is battleground-restricted now.

Sigh. Hopefully it's utd now. Thanks, Ice ;)
Wow, great post Frejya, I've been playing since BC and I never knew where the server hubs where located.

I was looking to re-transfer, after I didn't play in Cata, and our guild broke up.
So, I will make use of your contribution. :)

Edit-
Probably being paranoid, just cautious installing a program that could be a keylogger. Should i be so worried about this one?

Yeah, buy a authenticator or download the free Android phone authenticator, can't key log RNG's.
Nobody seems to have mentioned it yet, so I thought I'd post it. Realm Pop is a reasonably new-ish website that collects population data from the Community Platform API and presents it in interactive pie charts.

It was made by the same person that made The Undermine Journal.

http://wow.realmpop.com/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3941416624
how come u have green writing
05/21/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Vikinghunter
how come u have green writing

Frejya is an MVP. Now stop derailing threads.
I have to pick a Server;I live in Italy but i play on the US servers wich server would anyone of you pick for me???
05/31/2012 01:32 AMPosted by Elaaea
I have to pick a Server;I live in Italy but i play on the US servers wich server would anyone of you pick for me???

Check your latency/ping yourself and pick a server. We can't do that for you.

Questions also belong in their own threads, not the stickies.