FAQ: Non-Obvious Mage Mechanics

Mage
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
The new Combustion is quite confusing, even to a veteran fire mage like myself. I use CombustionHelper to properly line up my Pyroblast!/LB/Ignite dots, but it seems like sometimes waiting around for a Pyroblast is dicey.
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3070/wowscrnshot110510053207.jpg

Your proof, Sir Lhivera.

Should called him JohnStamoist imo
Pyroblast! is the Hot Streak proc'd version of Pyroblast I believe.
Actually I think Pyroblast! is just Pyroblast!. The patch note actually said "making it super cool" or some random thing.
One thing that irks me is that I can't find a definitive answer on the hit cap at 85. If I assume it to be 17% still, then reaching that is near impossible through the heroic gear in the first tier of raiding unless you gem for pure hit. If it's smaller, that would be great to know since it gives me more numbers to theory away with.
Hate to derail a little here, but has anyone come across any other mods for Combustion tracking? The one linked above (Combustion Helper) is ok for timers, but I'm looking more for one that keeps a live number of total DoT on a target. I've been using Dot Tracker, but it seems to be wildly inaccurate at times.
One thing that irks me is that I can't find a definitive answer on the hit cap at 85. If I assume it to be 17% still, then reaching that is near impossible through the heroic gear in the first tier of raiding unless you gem for pure hit. If it's smaller, that would be great to know since it gives me more numbers to theory away with.

Unless you're a Draenei, it's 17% -- but remember that it's going to go up in each tier of raiding.

Unless you're a Draenei, it's 17% -- but remember that it's going to go up in each tier of raiding.

Well, 17% seems unreachable in the first tier. Is the rating-per-percent needed 102 or something else? Just using the heroic mode gear from the Beta, I can get only to 972 hit rating, without gems or enchants. Seems that no matter what I try to combine and mix/match, I always end up well short of 1,700 hit rating. Unless there's some random gear I'm not seeing or maybe the rating-per-percent is much lower than 102.
I don't think Blizzard intends for dps to reach the hit cap in Cata, at least with tier-appropriate gear for the latest content.

If the hit cap is no longer attainable it will no longer be a 'cap and forget' stat. Instead, players will have to balance hit, intellect, crit, haste, and mastery.
The hit cap for the first tier is 1742, using every piece of heroic gear with hit on it, you get to 972 hit. This set only has two blue sockets (perfectly itemized FTL) for an additional 40 hit, meaning without enchants, you're still 730 short of the cap in full heroic gear. To reforge for that (going to skip over enchants for the moment), you would need to have a total of 1,825 rating on pieces of gear without hit on them to reforge for the cap. The total of the highest non-hit stat on non-hit items (excluding the random enchantment items) is 1,359 which would give you 543.6 hit, which leaves you 186.4 short of the cap. Two 50 hit enchants and 2 PURE hit gems would leave you 6.4 short of the cap. Don't know if that's what they want us to do, but that's what I'm getting right now (using non-hit trinkets of course).
I don't think Blizzard intends for dps to reach the hit cap in Cata, at least with tier-appropriate gear for the latest content.

If the hit cap is no longer attainable it will no longer be a 'cap and forget' stat. Instead, players will have to balance hit, intellect, crit, haste, and mastery.

There won't be a balance if we can't be hit capped in current content. If hit continues to be our best point-for-point stat by far when not capped, every gear choice will be, "does it have hit? If not, reforge weaker stat for hit until you get a hit piece".
Hit's not really meant to be equal to the other three, because with a few rare spec-specific exceptions, Hit is the only one with a cap.
I got to 17% by using the blue hit trinket about 4 purple hit gems, 1 blue dragons eye, hit enchant on the bracers and the starter heroic gear.

If you use the rep hit trinket aswell you dont need to gem or enchant for it at all.

Hit is a DPS stat too, unfortunatly blizzard missed the memo where all DPS stats should be about equal.

Well, then why make Heroic gear at all if you're forced to use blue/rep trinkets? The point is, the way they seem to have set up gear and hit requirements, there is very little choice, if any, on how people gear up. It's all about, as someone said, "does it have hit on it?".
I'm pretty sure that the hit cap is the number one thing to stack to, for ever and always until blizzard tells us that they are going to paradigm shift on our a55es.
Added:

- An item about base mana, and how total mana, total health, and spell power are derived.
- An item on how Mana Adept works.
- An item on Pyroblast vs. Pyroblast! (needs expansion)

Please post any more questions about non-obvious mechanics! This is more for stuff that simply doesn't work the way you expect it to, or isn't clear how it works, more than gearing questions like how much hit you need or whether crit is worth more than mastery.
Dots spread via impact only have the remaining duration of the original dot, rather than starting at full duration like diseases do with pestilence.
So flame orb...
Does it's attack use your hit and crit rating? Can flame orb attacks trigger ignite? Does the flame orb scale with your haste rating? How does it interact with Master of Elements?