FAQ: Non-Obvious Mage Mechanics

Mage
Prev 1 5 6 7 10 Next
Reactive Barrier: does it only proc on crossing the 51%->49% health, or does it try to proc every time you take damage at or below 50%? I've read in other threads that this talent is unreliable.

Ice Shards: Does it have a chance to proc FoF every blizzard tick?

Haste and mages. A section on this would be very helpful, as it's really tough to find a collected list of rules for haste in Cata. Some spells have their cooldown affected by haste and some don't? Effect of haste on DoTs (extra tick breakpoints). Effect of haste on GCD. Hard/softcaps?
12/23/2010 11:24 AMPosted by Spifnar
Reactive Barrier: does it only proc on crossing the 51%->49% health, or does it try to proc every time you take damage at or below 50%? I've read in other threads that this talent is unreliable.

Ice Shards: Does it have a chance to proc FoF every blizzard tick?

Haste and mages. A section on this would be very helpful, as it's really tough to find a collected list of rules for haste in Cata. Some spells have their cooldown affected by haste and some don't? Effect of haste on DoTs (extra tick breakpoints). Effect of haste on GCD. Hard/softcaps?

Yes, Blizzard gave me FoF charges when I had Ice Shards. It is a chill effect after all!

As for your third question, mages only get three dots that benefit from additional ticks - Living Bomb, Combustion, and Pyroblast DoTs. Ignite is unaffected by haste. Periodic abilities follow a model of (2x-1)/2y for their breakpoints, where x is the desired amount of ticks you want a breakpoint for, and y is the number of ticks the spell has at 0% haste. Therefore, you end up with these breakpoints:

Living Bomb/Pyroblast - 4 ticks
Ticks Haste

5 12.5%
6 37.5%
7 62.5%

Combustion - 10 ticks
Ticks Haste

11 5%
12 15%
13 25%
14 35%
15 45%
16 55%

Also if you'll notice, they gain ticks at the same rate after the first.

Lastly for GCDs, haste is already explained in the OP but doesn't mention how it effects your GCD specifically. The GCD is 1.5 seconds, so you just divide that by your total haste, as you would if the spell had a cast time (Like Scorch, which is also 1.5 seconds).
Thanks for the info, this thread has been educational. As a new player who has only been playing for a couple weeks, this helped clarify a lot of how stuff works.
Could someone shed some light on "Shatter Combos" Ive had my mage for years, and it was my first toon. Every time I read this dam phrase I can't for the life of me figure it out. Is it the perfect way to use a deep freeze to maximize damage?

Help!!
I'm sure Lhivera has a canned response to this by now, but a simple explanation of a "Shatter Combo" is the idea of releasing an instacast spell after a cast time spell so that both fire at around the same moment in time and both take advantage of a frost nova / pet nova on a target.

Essentially, frost nova something, cast frostbolt, pound ice lance. Congrats, you just did a shatter combo.
Haven't had much time to update this lately; will try to make some time this weekend.
Something that might be worth mentioning in the Mirror Image section:

You CAN pull threat off your mirror images while soloing, however, if your Water Elemental is up, you cannot pull threat off of it.
Does the shatter talent also to apply to crit debuffs on a target, or does it only increase the crit percent reported on ones character sheet.

so would shatter be
A= paperdoll crit
B= crit debuff

(A+B)x3

or

3A+B
How does Incanter's Absorbtion work? Rogue's small but many hits versus a mage's large but few hits. Does average the damage coming in over time or does it stack up the spell power bonus? If it stacks then the bonus should always be 20% of the total shield. If it doesn't stack then it's stupid versus rogues because you will constantly get small bonuses writing over eachother.
Don't know if this is an answer to a frequently asked question, but here is a listing of the 359 Gear. Obviously what is BiS for each spec and which gear level is subjective, thus I'll leave it to you to decide on that. It's not exactly that hard to figure it out though.

Interesting to note, is the difference between crafted Tailoring and non-crafted Tailoring pieces.

All 359 Level Gear - Mage

Head
Firelord's Hood - Tier Gear
Lightweight Bio-Optic Killshades - Engineering
Power Generator Hood - Blackwing Descent

Neck
Yellow Smoke Pendant - Dragonmaw
Valiona's Medallion - Bastion of Twilight
Dorian's Lost Necklace - World Drop

Shoulder
Firelord's Mantle - Tier Gear
Mantle of Roaring Flames - Atramedes

Back
Haunt of Flies - Valor Gear
Shadow of Dread - Nefarian
Ritssyn's Ruminous D!#!@ - World Drop

Chest
Firelord's Robes - Tier Gear
Shadowblaze Robes - Nefarian
Dizze's Whirling Robe - World Drop

Wrist
Bracers of the Bronze Flight - Halfus Wyrmbreaker
Bracers of the Dark Pool - Bastion of Twilight

Hands
Firelord's Gloves - Tier Gear
Flamebloom Gloves - Earthen Ring
Hands of the Twilight Council - Cho'gall
Grips of the Failed Immortal - World Drop

Waist
Dreamless Belt - Tailoring
Soul Breath Belt - Conclave of Four Winds
Belt of Arcane Storms - Maloriak

Legs
Firelord's Leggings - Tier Gear
Breeches of Mended Nightmares - Tailoring
Flame-Ascended Pantaloons - Tailoring
Flame Pillar Leggings - Magmaw
Soul Breath Leggings - Conclave of the Four Winds

Feet
Desert Walker Sandals - Ramakhan
Melodious Slippers - Valor Gear
Einhorn's Galoshes - Chimaeron

Rings
Ring of the Boy Emperor - Archaeology
Band of Secret Names - Valor Gear
Signet of the Fifth Circle - Cho'gall
Cloudburst Ring - Al'Akir
Mistral Circle - Conclave of Four Winds
Permafrost Signet - Conclave of Four Winds
Planetary Band - Conclave of Four Winds
Signet of High Arcanist Savor - World Drop

Trinkets
Stump of Time - Hellscream's Reach
Tyrande's Favorite Doll - Archaeology
Darkmoon Card: Volcano - Darkmoon
Soul Casket - Valor Gear
Heart of Ignacious - Elementium Monstrosity
Bell of Enraging Resonance - Atramedes
Theralion's Mirror - Bastion of Twilight

Mainhand
Incineratus - Magmaw
Stormwake the Tempest's Reach - Conclave of Four Winds
Blade of the Witching Hour - Bastion of Twilight
Maldo's Sword Cane - Blackwing Descent

Offhand
Book of Binding Will - Halfus Wyrmbreaker

Staff
Staff of Sorcerer-Thane Thaurissan - Archaeology

Wand
Theresa's Booklight - Blackwing Descent
@LB
You say that it's better to refresh LB's duration before it explodes. Really...? I don't believe it. If that's not what you're saying, please reword that paragraph. The ability to override LB is bad in almost all cases besides when you need to prevent it from exploding for some reason, you can keep recasting it. You could even prevent it from ticking if you accidentally LB'ed an important CC.

@MI
You say that you can steal off your own images, but that's not really true. If you agro something and cast MI, the images will not attack it unless you attack it or it attacks you. Once the MI's gain even 1 threat on the mob (And i think they cast fireblast right away, so this will happen fast), the mob will drop you and go attack that image, because like you said the mage will now have 0 threat. But you can not steal agro off your images after something is already attacking them (unless that thing kills every image, but then that's not stealing off them, is it.)

@Mana Adept
40 * .78 = 31.2%.

should be, imo
40% * .78 = 31.2%.

to account for units. Cmon man, you gotta keep your units...
01/04/2011 9:19 AMPosted by Mirydia
Don't know if this is an answer to a frequently asked question, but here is a listing of the 359 Gear. Obviously what is BiS for each spec and which gear level is subjective, thus I'll leave it to you to decide on that. It's not exactly that hard to figure it out though.

Interesting to note, is the difference between crafted Tailoring and non-crafted Tailoring pieces.

Is there an easier way then going through wowhead to post links to items and manually writing each link in your post?

Also, what of note with the tailor vs none tailoring? The tailoring legs are missing a gem, but the waits are pretty much equal. hit/mastery or crit/haste.
Since the gem slots are weighted towards a 20 int / 20 secondary stat you can especially make better use of any red gem slots alone by using a 40 int gem or any slots in general if you ignore the socket bonus because 40 int is superior to 20 int / 20 secondary. If you don't ignore socket bonuses, you essentially get that socket bonus over the top of what you could have had on the tailoring pieces. In this case, the socket bonuses for all but the Tailoring pieces is a full +20 Int. Due to the red socket distribution, Firelord's Leggings and Soul Breath Leggings are superior in terms of INT gain by a fair margin. Flame Pillar Leggings is disputable due to the lack of red sockets in comparison to Breeches of Mended Nightmares but the other two leggings have superior INT gain. It's just being careful because generally sockets are much better then non-sockets in which this case the Tailoring pieces have one less for some reason.

In terms of that list, it was easy because I did the write up on Elitist Jerks for the their Mage Resources thread. However, they didn't like it and deleted it. Some simple find and replace made it work here and I thought it would be useful to someone at least. I know of no way to link the items via here without using Item IDs however.
If you're fighting one mob and pop Mirror Image, you will lose all threat, and can NOT get it back until the images are gone (die or timeout). The threat doesn't actually go away until they get their first shot off.

You can still aggro other mobs, though; I'm not positive exactly how it works, but it seems to me that if I fire one shot at a different mob, my images switch to attacking that one instead, and that mob switches to them. I think the original one is still attacking them, but you can grab aggro off of any they aren't attacking. Again, not really sure, but definitely with a single mob you can totally open up and not worry about aggro. You can go invis right after they go away if you need to drop all threat at that point.
That makes no sense. If my cast time is 2.4 seconds and i get a increase in haste then my cast time should go down not up. which what the question asked. For instance my normal cast time on frostbolt is 1.24 secs but when fingers of frost pops up the cast time increases to 1.83 seconds this does makes not sense.
That makes no sense. If my cast time is 2.4 seconds and i get a increase in haste then my cast time should go down not up. which what the question asked. For instance my normal cast time on frostbolt is 1.24 secs but when fingers of frost pops up the cast time increases to 1.83 seconds this does makes not sense.

That's because of Early Frost (http://www.wowhead.com/spell=83050) becoming inactive after you use it. There's no way your normal cast time is that low without that talent being active or a massive amount of haste, such as Heroism and Icy Veins put together. Both of your cast times with and without the talent being active are exactly what they're supposed to be, if you know how to calculate them.

You have 6.55% from your gear (According to the armory, you may be wearing different gear ingame) and 3% from Netherwind Presence. These two things multiply into (1.0655*1.03) = 1.097465, or 9.75% total haste.

While Early Frost is active, Frostbolt's cast time before haste is 1.4 seconds. 1.4 / 1.0975 = 1.2756, or 1.28 second cast time.

While Early Frost is not active, Frostbolt's cast time before haste is 2 seconds. 2 / 1.0975 = 1.8223, or 1.82 second cast time.
I think an entry is warranted regarding mana gems and one's bank.
This might have been explained previously but .... why is it that DF crits for 30k + on bosses and not trash mobs or other players like in PVP?
01/06/2011 1:02 AMPosted by Tricorn
If you're fighting one mob and pop Mirror Image, you will lose all threat, and can NOT get it back until the images are gone (die or timeout). The threat doesn't actually go away until they get their first shot off.

You can still aggro other mobs, though; I'm not positive exactly how it works, but it seems to me that if I fire one shot at a different mob, my images switch to attacking that one instead, and that mob switches to them. I think the original one is still attacking them, but you can grab aggro off of any they aren't attacking. Again, not really sure, but definitely with a single mob you can totally open up and not worry about aggro. You can go invis right after they go away if you need to drop all threat at that point.

If the images die, you still have no threat, but if you are the only thing on it's threat list it can only attack you so it will. Doesn't mean you gained back any threat yet, that happens after 30 seconds, always. When you agro another mob, it initially only has you on it's agro table, not your MI's, you still have zero threat, but you are the only one it even knows exists. Once your MI's do something to that mob (do the MI's actually stop attacking mob A and go attack the new mob you attacked?) the images will have more threat than you and the mob will go whack them.

This might have been explained previously but .... why is it that DF crits for 30k + on bosses and not trash mobs or other players like in PVP?

Really? You're asking this question? Did you even read the original post that clearly defines exactly how DF works? I'll quote it for you as you apparently couldn't find it:

Q: What sort of target is "permanently immune" to stuns? Will Deep Freeze do damage to Bubbled Paladins/Ice Blocked Mages/Etc.?

A: No. If the target you are casting Deep Freeze at can ever be stunned under any circumstances, Deep Freeze cannot damage the target. Bubbled Paladins/Ice Blocked Mages/Etc. are not permanently immune; they are temporarily immune. Wait a few seconds, and they will no longer be immune.

I don't even think you read the DF ability or you would be asking something else. You don't even seem to know that DF will stun some things and do damage to others(besides your own anecdotal evidence). You are asking WHY it damages things, yet the ability very clearly tells you why/how/under what conditions DF damages things. The exact description is a none obvious mechanic, but... i don't even know... /sigh. People these days!