FAQ: Non-Obvious Mage Mechanics

Mage
Prev 1 8 9 10 Next
"Q: Living Bomb refreshes the duration now, is this good or bad?

A: For AoE, bad. For single target raid fights, good. The DoT will do more damage over time than the explosion in the 1.5 it takes to cast a new Living Bomb. Contrary to the old days, it's better to let Living Bomb keep going."

I don't really understand the question and therefore the answer for this? Is it saying that it's good on single mob fighters to keep LB refreshed so that it doesn't explode?
11/05/2010 05:39 AMPosted by Vaena
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3070/wowscrnshot110510053207.jpg

Your proof, Sir Lhivera.

how can you rename your water elemental??
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3070/wowscrnshot110510053207.jpg

Your proof, Sir Lhivera.

how can you rename your water elemental??

This was fixed.
This explanes a lot for me i always assumed that spell haste made your cast spells faster. I have to admit i don't notice the difference in the number of spells i can cast within a set time period. admittedly i know there is no way to make a spell like arcane blast be instant without the a CD but i just can't help but to think that it should if i have a ton of haste. as for the mirror image+invis combo this proves that mages have a way to dump aggro if they grab it be it on purpous or by accident.

Brain Freeze Frostfire Bolt consuming Fingers of Frost

Q: Why is it that when I have both Brain Freeze and Fingers of Frost buffs up, and I cast Frostfire Bolt, it consumes both buffs?

A: Frostfire Bolt benefits from (and therefore consumes) a Fingers of Frost charge if it is cast while Brain Freeze is active. This is explained on the Brain Freeze tooltip instead of the Fingers of Frost tooltip.

alright, so Frostfire Bolt benefits from Fingers of Frost, I actually had figured that out on my own...my question is, HOW does Frostfire Bolt benefit from Fingers of Frost?
or, in other words, should I burn both Brain Freeze and FoF with FFB, or should I Ice lance FFB?
alright, so Frostfire Bolt benefits from Fingers of Frost, I actually had figured that out on my own...my question is, HOW does Frostfire Bolt benefit from Fingers of Frost?
or, in other words, should I burn both Brain Freeze and FoF with FFB, or should I Ice lance FFB?
Well in the first place, Brain Freeze glyphed FFB already hits harder than a FoF icelance anyway.
Second: Once you gain Mastery at level 80, BF-FFB used with FoF will make it benefit from Mastery, meaning much higher damage.
Ola,

I've been playing my main for quite some time now. An Arcane mage. I'm 2nd in dps for our main raid group in firelands at 22k dps. I start off with crazy burst damage sometimes reaching 50k as a normal Arcane mage would..but obviously it drops down. I've looked up quite a few mages to see stats and what not, it seems that EVERY arcane mage i have been looking up goes for Int>Mastery>Crit>Haste...where as i go for Int>Haste>Crit>Mastery. I've tried reforging for Mastery and conserving mana yet my overall damage is about 2-4k lower than my reforged Haste. My toon is named Dekozee, if anyone has any ideas..math..or something i could understand let me know. Thanks =)
Whats the best way to survive Ozruk as an arcane mage?

He's kinda a pain and i'd rather not have to switch to fire for this boss.

As of Patch 4.2, Paralyze has been nerfed to a stun effect instead of a banish effect, allowing Mages to simply Blink out of it.
My non-obvious mage tip: if you are doing the Tol Barad dailies inside the cell block/Problim, etc. you can use your teleport to go back to Tol Barad Pennisula and turn in the quests.
Well in the first place, Brain Freeze glyphed FFB already hits harder than a FoF icelance anyway.
Second: Once you gain Mastery at level 80, BF-FFB used with FoF will make it benefit from Mastery, meaning much higher damage.

so before mastery comes into play, ie my level, FFB eating an FoF charge is completely pointless? I spent like 20 minutes one day trying to figure out wtf it actually DID when it ate a charge, I understand that it does, and why it does, but NOWHERE in any of my tooltips does it actually say WHAT eating a charge does for the FFB

so before mastery comes into play, ie my level, FFB eating an FoF charge is completely pointless? I spent like 20 minutes one day trying to figure out wtf it actually DID when it ate a charge, I understand that it does, and why it does, but NOWHERE in any of my tooltips does it actually say WHAT eating a charge does for the FFB

Your FoF BF-FFB may not be be seeing a benefit from mastery, but neither is Ice Lance, the other spell you'd cast. It should still get the extra crit chance, and it has a chance to proc FoF again.

If you pick up ignite later, that's a nice extra chunk of damage from those FFB crits too.
I'd like to add a little bit for new mages on the shatter mechanics that aren't completely obvious.
When casting at a frozen target, you can hook an instant cast spell at the end of your Frostbolt cast to have both spells benefit from one shatter, maximizing your damage.

As frost, your instant cast "hook" spell is almost always Ice Lance. The only time that it isn't is when you have a Fingers of Frost proc. There's no reason to waste FoF on an already frozen target, so to maximize your damage, use a frostbolt hooked with fire blast for your shatter followed by your FoF lances. The same thing applies to when you're trying to get a kill on a target in a deep freeze. Usually the most damage you can do to a deeped target is Frostbolt>Frostbolt>Ice Lance (depending on haste), but if you have FoF procs, use Frostbolt>Frostbolt>Fire Blast followed by your FoFs.

As fire, your instant cast hook depends on if you have a Hot Streak proc and if Fire Blast is on CD. The ideal fire shatter is Fireball>Insta Pyro, which will proc another Hot Streak in the likely chance that both of those crit. If you don't have a HS proc, your next hook spell is Fire Blast and will still give you a HS if both crit. If you have no procs and Fire Blast is on cooldown, the only hook for your shatters is Ice Lance. You will not have a guaranteed Hot Streak proc if both spells crit, but keep in mind that Ice Lance still does considerable damage to frozen targets even as fire, and that makes it worth using for shatters when it's your only option. (Note: You can also use an instant cast Fireball as your hook if you happen to steal a Brain Freeze proc from another mage.)

The big thing to remember when setting up fire shatters is what spells will give you a Hot Streak. The Hot Streak list is Fireball, FFB, Scorch, Pyro, and Fire Blast. So if you can, use those spells to shatter. This also means that if you don't have the time/space to hardcast a fireball for shatters, you can use Scorch instead, which will still force a Hot Streak proc. Another thing to keep in mind is that your frozen target could have dots on them, which can potentially break your freeze and ruin your shatter. There will be times when your dots break a freeze and there's really nothing you can do to prevent it, but you can keep an eye on how many dots you have on the target and act accordingly. If a target has the maximum number of fire dots on him and you freeze him for a shatter, it's better to use a scorch>hook combo because you can get a shatter off faster than a fireball>hook combo and maybe even get a shatter before your dots break the freeze.

Hope this helps. Much love and good luck :D

11/01/2011 10:54 PMPosted by Steelreserve

Pre-mastery, the only way FoF affects FFB is by multiplying its crit chance by 3. Even with mastery however, the only time you want your FFB to consume FoF is when you think you can get a kill ONLY with the high burst of a shatter FFB. Most of the time just use your FoFs on lances (and deeps) then use your brain freeze proc.
I do not understand the following at all about haste. I don't see how casting time and casting speed are different. It sounds like a contradiction. If I can cast twice as many spells then is that not decreasing casting time? Are you saying that I can't cast the same spell quicker but only different spells? If so, then why in the thread I just read on arcane pvp is haste helping my arcane blast stacks?

Haste

Q: I have 25% haste, so why is my Fireball cast time 2.4 seconds instead of 2.25 seconds? Is haste working properly?

A: 25% Haste does not decrease cast time by 25%; it increases casting speed by 25%. What this means is that you can get 25% more spells cast in the same amount of time. With zero haste, you could cast four Fireballs in twelve seconds (12 / 3 = 4). With 25% haste, you can cast five Fireballs in twelve seconds (12 / 2.4 = 5). Five is 25% more than four.

It may help to think of the extreme case of having 100% haste (this can happen in raids with stacked haste effects). If haste reduced cast times, then 100% haste would make all of your spells instant-cast, which obviously does not happen. Instead, it increases your casting speed by 100%, allowing you to cast twice as many spells in the same amount of time.

Basically, if you have 100% haste you do not have -100% casting time, instead you have +100% casting speed.

A 4 second cast goes to 2 seconds rather than 0 seconds at 100% haste.
I have an interesting question about DPS for mages who want to attempt the "FrostFire" role.

I'm a pvp mage who chose to go with Ignite and Impact along with my Frost tree. I'm going to do some testing tomorrow about whether or not I can alternate between using Fireball and Frostbolt in PvP, and/or including scorch as a filler talent. I'd like to also choose Fireball over Frostfire bolt. But, am I gimping myself a huge amount of damage by making these choices? If I were to use the Glyph of Fireball instead of the Glyph of Frostfire bolt, would that increase my damage?
I'm assuming all of this because, if I'm casting Fireball or Frostfire Bolt and critting, I'm leaving an ignite. I've seen people go "Wtf?" when I kite them and they're still taking damage.
Mastery could allow me to hit a pretty hard ignite on someone frozen, but with Shatter adding the additional damage to Frostbolt?
Fireball can't benefit from fingers of frost, but it might force me to use FoF more effectively.

So, a self-gimp for the sake of being different? Or do the numbers add up?

@Xodok Have fun smashing siege tanks!
As of 4.3, is it still viable to refresh Living Bomb on Single target fights, or should I let it explode?
Why the flamestrike's DOT does'nt contribute to the combustion effect ???