Resto 85 PvE healing guide (v. 4.1)

Druid
Prev 1 3 4 5 26 Next
Best guide I've read so far. I like it. I'm interested to see how healing rotations / spell usage dramatically changes in cataclysm. I am a little bummed out to know that we don't get a new healing spell however. I always found getting a new cool looking spell was part of buying an expansion. Oh well. =P
Well, instead of giving us new spells, Blizzard decided to free up some of our older spells and rework them to be more useful as they are bringing back Triage healing in cata. Decide on the wrong spell, and whoever you are healing is usually screwed.

Resto druids have a little more leeway in this, but healing in the beta is still really really fun. It keeps you on your toes to remember that in a 5 man heroic, there are trash mobs that can 2 shot a tank o.0

They did want to slow down damage. The problem with the trash pulls is that people need to use strategy & crowd control to succeed. they can't just put it on the healer's shoulders.
and just how long do you think it will be before we have to browbeat locks, rogues(best cc in the game atm) hunters, mages, etc into ccing things

By level 83 in instances, your DPS is going to need to CC mobs to really be successful.
lul i didnt mean by dungeon lvl, i meant the time it will take us yelling at the CC'ers that are so used to wrath that they dont even have most of those abilities on their bars to actually CC something.

I intend to just never PUG 5-mans for the first 3 to 6 months, lol. I'll run with my guild members as much as possible (so that we get guild XP and so I don't ever have to deal with that insanity, lol).
lul i didnt mean by dungeon lvl, i meant the time it will take us yelling at the CC'ers that are so used to wrath that they dont even have most of those abilities on their bars to actually CC something.

I intend to just never PUG 5-mans for the first 3 to 6 months, lol. I'll run with my guild members as much as possible (so that we get guild XP and so I don't ever have to deal with that insanity, lol).

Indeed.

On topic though, Liss, are you going to be posting a complete new thread for the (hopeful?) future re-writes of this guide based on current and very near future changes?

Indeed.

On topic though, Liss, are you going to be posting a complete new thread for the (hopeful?) future re-writes of this guide based on current and very near future changes?

This thread will be updated with new stuff as they release it. The talent section - only - will be updated for 4.0.3a on the Tuesday it comes out (since the talent changes break the old builds).

Then, on December 7th, I'll have a full re-write for level 81 to 85 hopefully ready to go that will get pasted into this thread. I have it about half way finished.

I don't usually start new threads for my guides - I just keep updating the old ones forever.
You're a complete angel!
I have a preview of the new talent spec up on my blog. I'll be posting new talent info on the guide at some point tomorrow.

http://www.restokin.com/2010/11/cataclysmic-resto-talents-changes-for-4-0-3a/
Updated talent info in this forum guide. I'm putting in info to get you from level 80 to 85 so that I don't have to re-edit that section again in 2 weeks. I'd rather give you info about 85 now so you can make a better informed choice about talents right now.

They reduced the talent point cost of 2 talents, which meant that I couldn't keep the old talent version. They didn't really change level 80 healing strategies, so everything else holds.

I'll update the rest of the guide for level 85 on December 7th.
Nice guide, thx Lissanna
I have the updates on my blog version now, too.
Yay the servers are up!
I noticed my mana regen went way down after the patch. I'm thinking of reforging back some more spirit either from crit or mastery, not sure yet. Is there a certain number we should be looking for in terms of spirit at this level?
There's not a particular number to aim for - basically you need enough regen to not run OOM. It sounds simplistic but that's how it is - if you find you're not getting through a fight without struggling, you can revert some of your reforging.

I would drop Mastery first.
Please make this a sticky so I don't have to keep searching for it. /sadface