What will be the incentive to pug?

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Obviously, in Cataclysm there will be huge incentives to play foremost with your guild, and I support this. I think it'll do wonders for community. That said, many folks will not be able to play with their guilds or even be in a guild for whatever reason.

My question is this: Will pugging be the sad, lonely thing you do when none of your guildies is online, or will it be rewarding in its own way?

Discuss.
The reward of a Pug has always been that you're able to do content that you cannot, for whatever reason, do as a guild. You get to raid, there's your pug-reward.

Pugging is already the "sad lonely thing you do when you can't play with your friends or guildies." Plenty of people will still pug because your friends will not always be online or you may not always have the class composition required to do an instance and will need people to fill the spaces.
Trade chat pugs will always be terrible.

If you want good pugs, you have to announce them in advance, have them on a regular schedule, have a place for sign-ups, and only invite good players. Also, you have to be a good player yourself or else you won't attract good players.

In other words, you treat them as you would treat a guild run. Raids aren't supposed to be easy -- you're supposed to work together. This obviously requires more effort than your average pug is capable of. If that's you, I'm sorry, but you might want to stick to dungeons/old content. Either that, or get better. There's no shame in needing improvement unless you refuse to improve yourself.

Currently, I'm a part of an 11/12 heroic 25-man ICC pug. We raid one night a week (Saturday) for about 4 hours. Our raiders are varied -- guilded, unguilded, crappy guilds, awesome guilds, amazing gear, not so amazing gear... but the one thing that almost all of the players have in common is that they are legitimately good players -- they want to succeed and so they've learned how.

So, if you want to do pug raids... be a good player, learn how to attract good players, find a good time for people on your server, and schedule it. Get people to commit. If you can't do that... well, effort = reward.
As someone who has been in the situation of not being able to guild runs, I hesitate to say this, but honestly Blizzard has made it pretty clear that the direction they are taking the mmo genre is that of scheduled guild play. So if you can't plan your life around the game, don't expect to raid or get much out of this game. WoW won't really be for someone who can't make real life scheudling sacrifices anymore come Cataclysm.
Uh... how is this any different than it is right now (and it's always been)?

Raids require time investment. They require commitment. It's not hard to find 2 hours out of your day to raid. It's not hard to find 2 hours two or three times a week to raid. It's not hard to carve out a single 4 hour block, once a week, to raid.

If you can't schedule a small amount of time then, no, you can't expect to get anywhere in the raid game. This is a social game and social interactions require scheduling -- just like real life.
You're completely missing the point.

With further encouragement to participate in guilds come cataclysm there should be fewer pugs floating around in trade chat. That doesn't hold true today because being without a guild is not that big a deal.

When more people start to organize guilds with the new features available they will then start forming scheduled raids that not everyone can adhere to.
My opinion is that pugging will die off for a while right at the beginning of the expansion because all the content will be new, guilds will be trying to get guild rep, and people will mostly only have one character at max level. Because of this, people will be running Heroics and then raids with their guilds.

As the expansion matures and people start getting more characters to max level and guild experience begins to slow down or cap, you will start to see more and more pugs. People will want to gear up their alts or will miss the set raid time for some reason and will still want to raid that week.

And then, at the end of the expansion it will be mostly like it is now, everyone pugging everything because guild are breaking up due to burnout and all the raids will be considered easy mode because everyone will outgear everything.
You're completely missing the point.

With further encouragement to participate in guilds come cataclysm there should be fewer pugs floating around in trade chat. That doesn't hold true today because being without a guild is not that big a deal.

When more people start to organize guilds with the new features available they will then start forming scheduled raids that not everyone can adhere to.

That's why you find a guild with raids that fit your schedule.

You don't apply for a job that requires you to work hours that you can't handle, do you?
My opinion is that pugging will die off for a while right at the beginning of the expansion because all the content will be new, guilds will be trying to get guild rep, and people will mostly only have one character at max level. Because of this, people will be running Heroics and then raids with their guilds.

As the expansion matures and people start getting more characters to max level and guild experience begins to slow down or cap, you will start to see more and more pugs. People will want to gear up their alts or will miss the set raid time for some reason and will still want to raid that week.

And then, at the end of the expansion it will be mostly like it is now, everyone pugging everything because guild are breaking up due to burnout and all the raids will be considered easy mode because everyone will outgear everything.

This is pretty much how it should be
pugging will exist probably on alts or something who knows
As someone who has been in the situation of not being able to guild runs, I hesitate to say this, but honestly Blizzard has made it pretty clear that the direction they are taking the mmo genre is that of scheduled guild play. So if you can't plan your life around the game, don't expect to raid or get much out of this game. WoW won't really be for someone who can't make real life scheudling sacrifices anymore come Cataclysm.

The vast majority of all content is soloable or pugable, and easily done by almost anyone. It's not like raiding is the only thing to do in this game.
This is an overly obvious statement ^, and most of the posters here are assuming he is talking about dungeons and raids since he posted the thread in the "dungeons and raids" forum...
"dungeons and raids" forum...
Pinch'll stab you if you don't call it R&D.
Ok that tears it, I am officially going back to calling it R&D, always liked it that way.

*nod to pinch
"dungeons and raids" forum...
Pinch'll stab you if you don't call it R&D.

My post got deleted. World first, maybe.
With more guilds will come more varity in raid times for people to choose from. Find a guild that raids when you have time off, and join that guild. If you have a crappy work schedule and can't have the same days off week after week,f ind a casual guild that allows you to miss random raid days without booting you. If you want to be a casual player, join a casual guild that will accomidate you, you have options, you need to look for them.

You are the only one responsible and liable for your own inactivity and you are the only one who will lose out if you fail to grab opprotunity.
I'll probably pug because my guild is very small and I don't have the time for a regular raid schedule anymore. That's plenty of incentive for me.