WoD Shaman FAQ

Shaman
Prev 1 2 3 16 Next
The FAQ is currently aimed at level 80, since that's the cap for the next month. All the stat caps, etc, are level 80 too. I'll update it to level 85 a couple days before the expansion opens.
Resto haste? Crit and spirit are last priority? Beta-Resto-Shaman has TERRIBLE mana regen. If we go for all haste, we'll be spending 10000g a week on mana pots...

That's really unfortunate. I hate healing without any haste. I hear they aim to make raiding less "gibby" so maybe it won't be terrible.
Right, throughput matters much less and you'll need to manage your mana. Earthliving is a much bigger deal too. I have a whole version of the FAQ ready to go for 85.
Resto haste? Crit and spirit are last priority? Beta-Resto-Shaman has TERRIBLE mana regen. If we go for all haste, we'll be spending 10000g a week on mana pots...

I have to agree, Until i got to about 3k in combat regen i was hurting constantly... especially if some cc's got broken or things got out of control... but if the OP isn't referring to endgame level 85 content then you wouldnt have to worry about regen.

If this is for 4.0.1, this isn't a Cataclysm FAQ. JUST SAYIN', should clarify it. I started reading it as a cata thing and was like WUTEHHELL is he saying.
It is for 4.0, it's just not for 85 for another month.

Why would you find lvl 85 information useful? So you can optimize your play on the beta server? It's not live yet.
One quick point/correction on Elemental AoE:
The correct strategy is dependent on how many targets you're AoEing.

* If you're AoEing ~3-4 or fewer targets, you want to use Magma Totem, then cast Thunderstorm (if glyphed or knockback isn't an issue), Chain Lightning, and Fire Nova (in that order) on cooldown. Fill in with shocks, Lava Bursts, or Lightning Bolts.

* If you're AoEing ~4-5 or more targets, you want to use Magma Totem, cast Thunderstorm on cooldown (same caveats), then channel earthquake.

You only want to channel Earthquake exclusively if you can't safely or effectively be in melee range for dropping Magma Totem (e.g. on the Rubble on Kologarn), or if the mobs are going to die very quickly regardless, so it's not worth the effort (e.g. if you're AoEing your way through a low level instance).
Windfury Weapon
- The two extra attacks can proc Flurry, Unleashed Rage, and weapon on hit effects. They do not consume Flurry charges and don't glance.

I think this is a holdover from a previous version.
Thank you, removed.

As for the elemental AE bit, while you're certainly correct, that's a bit more depth than I feel necessary for this FAQ.

Do you really bother to do all that, exposing yourself to cleaves and whatnot?
As for the elemental AE bit, while you're certainly correct, that's a bit more depth than I feel necessary for this FAQ.

Fair enough. You could just add in a note that where practical, it's best to use Magma Totem in addition to earthquake, and to use CL rather than EQ if you happen to be AoEing a very small number of targets.

As for if it's worth it -- it depends on what you're AoEing. It's no more risky for an Elemental Shaman to be in melee range than any other melee class. If it's a situation where death is the likely result (like the skeletons at the start of ICC or the rubble on Kologarn), then yeah, you stay back or back out in between earthquakes. If it's not particularly life-threatening (like all the other trash in ICC or Ulduar that I can think of), then yeah, it's worth doing.

Fair enough. You could just add in a note that where practical, it's best to use Magma Totem in addition to earthquake, and to use CL rather than EQ if you happen to be AoEing a very small number of targets.
As for if it's worth it -- it depends on what you're AoEing. It's no more risky for an Elemental Shaman to be in melee range than any other melee class. If it's a situation where death is the likely result (like the skeletons at the start of ICC or the rubble on Kologarn), then yeah, you stay back or back out in between earthquakes. If it's not particularly life-threatening (like all the other trash in ICC or Ulduar that I can think of), then yeah, it's worth doing.

Posts like yours are the kind GC needs to read. It's proof that:
A) Earthquake isn't strong enough for a 31pt talent
B) They need to remove Magma and Fire Nova due to redundant AoE mechanics
C) They need to give Enhancement an AoE not based around totems. (WTB Thunder Shock PBAoE!)
D) Chain Lightning itself is fine because Enhancement and Resto can still use it to AoE.
I wouldn't necessarily argue that EQ isn't strong enough for what it is, but I don't particularly like the Magma situation. It'd be better if they got rid of Magma Totem for Elemental (possibly for both specs), but doing so would take more than a numbers adjustment. The whole idea of making Fire Nova share a cooldown with Lava Lash/Shocks or adding in "Thunder Shock" or something along those lines works well.

But if we're talking about the way things are, not how they should be (as is the idea in an FAQ :), then you'd be remiss to not mention Magma Totem as part of the Elemental kit.
OK, I added it. I personally wouldn't bother getting in melee range to AE as elemental, but it's certainly more damage than channeling earthquake so it's worth mentioning.

With the reduced emphasis on AE in cataclysm content, I may actually end up removing that section entirely at some point. AE was a big deal in WOTLK, not so much now.
I'd like to see shamans use two handers in enhance more...
I'd like to see shamans use two handers in enhance more...

Stop beating that horse, it's already dead.
Stoneclaw totem should be noted for highly useful glyph for all specs-a dead dps/healer is a worthless dps/healer. Some on demand damage prevention is always good to have and saves healers mana. Stoneclaw is also likely the easiest totem for us to drop between cds and replace quickly with another totem as needed and should be used for all specs unless you sintuationally need something else and can't spare the space.
Weaving in stoneclaw is definitely not a FAQ.

Awesome post, Defiantly enjoyed reading on the reforging thing. Thanks for the tips!
Chain Lightning > Lightning Bolt at 80 for MW5 even for 1 mob...
http://www.wowwiki.com/Lightning_Bolt
Damage at 80 715-815 (plus SP)
http://www.wowwiki.com/Chain_Lightning
Damage at 80 973-1111 (plus SP) first target (70% of damage to sec target and 49% to third target)
Chain Lightning > Lightning Bolt at 80 for MW5 even for 1 mob...
http://www.wowwiki.com/Lightning_Bolt
Damage at 80 715-815 (plus SP)
http://www.wowwiki.com/Chain_Lightning
Damage at 80 973-1111 (plus SP) first target (70% of damage to sec target and 49% to third target)

Since LB scales significantly better than CL, that would depend on the SP of the Shaman.

Let's see. With only 2000 SP, according to the coefficients in the FAQ, LB would do 2365 damage and CL would do 2322. Already, LB has surpassed CL.

The turning point would be just under 2000 SP. It's entirely possible that, for a fresh 80 Shaman, CL would indeed be a better choice than LB. Given how easy it is to get gear at this point in the expansion, it's a relatively minor detail, but good to know either way.